PDA

View Full Version : Bora 130TDI- Timing belt-incorrect fitting

SGN
04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I recently had the timing belt changed and have since lost about 10mpg also the car generally feels underpowered.
I am wondering that if the belt was a tooth out would the car be driveable and cause the above problem,or would it be undriveable/cause valve damage ?
The tickover is 800 ish
New airfow meter fitted
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

adamss24
04-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Take it to your local dealer as its needs special equipment to set up timing on PD engines.

SGN
04-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for quick reply.
Do you know if it would run if it was fitted incorrectly ?

VW Techniker
05-12-2006, 12:47 AM
I recently had the timing belt changed and have since lost about 10mpg also the car generally feels underpowered.
I am wondering that if the belt was a tooth out would the car be driveable and cause the above problem,or would it be undriveable/cause valve damage ?
The tickover is 800 ish
New airfow meter fitted
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

A PD TDi would flag up a fault description (Crankshaft or Camshaft position sensor - Implusible Signal > Permenent Fault) if the belt was a tooth out. Ther are only 2 locking tools needed for PD engines, idiot proof really. Check for any vacum pipe leaks and correct fitting of charge pressure hoses... & No is the answere to your valve damage question, not 1 tooth, it would still run but you would notice that there was a fault, more so at idle than increased engine speed.

SGN
06-12-2006, 12:09 AM
[quote=VW Techniker;9470]Hi,

A PD TDi would flag up a fault description (Crankshaft or Camshaft position sensor - Implusible Signal > Permenent Fault) if the belt was a tooth out. Ther are only 2 locking tools needed for PD engines, idiot proof really. Check for any vacum pipe leaks and correct fitting of charge pressure hoses... & No is the answere to your valve damage question, not 1 tooth, it would still run but you would notice that there was a fault, more so at idle than increased engine speed

SGN
06-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for reply,thats put my mind at rest that the belt is fitted correctly,i'll check the hoses etc tomorrow.Its also hopeless when its cold, do you know how i get at the glow plug relay?
Cheers

lchris21
29-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Also check turbo hoses have been replaced correctly.
I was experiencing similar probs to this when I first had my car. One of mine was leaking turbo boost.
Refitted pipe correctly, no leaks and transformed the thing.
All the best

SGN
30-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Well done you are correct ,it was on "o" ring damaged in the boost pipe,probably broken when the timing belt was changed.Thanks