PDA

View Full Version : what wax-polish to use

chrissy077
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
as summer is getting close i want to give the old car x reg black a6 2.5td avant a wash and polish, the car has a couple of scratches here and there, and i was wondering what do u guys use, i heard some good reviews of xymol, or would t cut do a better job?.

TheEggShell
22-04-2008, 03:57 PM
For polishing I would recommend Auto Glym everytime!

They have a 'Paint Renovator' that is a mild abbrasive and might take out some scratches. Follow this up with the 'Super Resin Polish' which in my opinion is the best polish out there! Finally, there is an 'Extra Gloss' polish for get it even more sparkly!!

I would also recommend Poorboys 'Nattys Paste' if you want a wax you seal in your shiny polished finish!

TheEggShell
22-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Has anyone tried the meguiars deep crystal 3 step polish?

squinty
29-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Has anyone tried the meguiars deep crystal 3 step polish?

not used the polish (stage 2) but i have the paint cleaner (1) and the carnauba wax(3).

the paint cleaner is pretty good, as good as any others i have used. it preps the surface up ready for polish and waxing.

i am pleased with the wax. it has a fair longetivity to it. i think it was about 6 weeks before the beading started to deteoraite on my car. i am quite obsessive though, so you may be happy to leave it longer between waxing.

@chrissy077 - dont use t-cut. seriously, that stuff it the sperm of satan! lol. if applying by hand, meguiars scratch-x should sort out minor, light scratches.

Lespaul
30-04-2008, 09:21 AM
as summer is getting close i want to give the old car x reg black a6 2.5td avant a wash and polish, the car has a couple of scratches here and there, and i was wondering what do u guys use, i heard some good reviews of xymol, or would t cut do a better job?.

How much do you want to spend?

If your not worried about spending a quite large amount I'd go with Swissvax Cleaner fluid followed by one of their waxes. I used Best of Show on this at the weekend and it looks quite good, but that was after a clay and machine polish :D

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/daz1000rr/7%20Series%20BMW/SideReflection.jpg

If your after spending a more reasonable amount I'd go for Dodo juice products, Lime prime to cleanse the paint and Purple Haze wax for some protection.

I'd also recomend claying the paintwork before the cleanse and wax stage which ever products you use ;)

Darren

PS I only ever use T-Cut to clean exhaust tips :aargh4:

squinty
30-04-2008, 06:15 PM
If your after spending a more reasonable amount I'd go for Dodo juice products, Lime prime to cleanse the paint and Purple Haze wax for some protection.

I'd also recomend claying the paintwork before the cleanse and wax stage which ever products you use ;)

Darren

PS I only ever use T-Cut to clean exhaust tips :aargh4:

seconded, i just got myself a jar of dodo light fantastic. its colour charged for light coloured cars, and it is amazing.

it was just over £30 for (i think) 250ml, but that is going to last some time. it is applied by hand (literally) which i quite like, as you can feel any grit that gets in the way before it is too late and you have dragged it all over the panel. i applied a coat of this to the bonnet, then a second layer a day later. that was almost a month ago now, the car has travelled about 500 miles, and water is still beading up as good as it did on day one. oh, and it smells good enough to eat :D

Ade25
19-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Try dodo lime prime cleaner fluid followed by Swissvax Saphir wax gives a very wet looking finish as Lespual reccomends I would clay the car first.
Have a look here
www.detailingworld.co.uk (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk)

Lot's of help & info on here :biglaugh:

saj8162
21-05-2008, 09:44 AM
T-cut colour magic?... I find that good to use, allways brings up the shine!

MalcQV
21-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I have used this (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 0008_langId_-1_categoryId_123054) on a couple of occasions and removes small scratches effectively.

StuPDi
21-05-2008, 03:58 PM
i always used to use auto-glym, but got converted to meguiars a couple of years ago, not much between them.

i ran out of detail spray this week, but simply used glass cleaner to keep the claybar wet, worked a treat :)

Stu

Dangerousmouse
21-05-2008, 07:09 PM
i always used to use auto-glym, but got converted to meguiars a couple of years ago, not much between them.

i ran out of detail spray this week, but simply used glass cleaner to keep the claybar wet, worked a treat :)

Stu

water works fine, and its a LOT cheaper ;)

if it isnt too hot, and a bit overcast, i dont bother drying the car after rinsing it, straight on with the claybar.

cooleo
09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I brough the 3 step yo use on my Audi S3 yellow 1 lol. how oftern can i do it, whenever i wash car?

chrissy077
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
well i did use the meguiars 3 stage, plus first i used scratch x which did remove some of the smaller scratches, as for the rest i am going to invest in either xymol or try clay bar first then re polish, if that dont get rid then it will be paint shop, annoyingly i took the photos on my camera and left it in hi res, so they wont go onto the website,

the meguiars worked very well and so i am very impressed, :biglaugh:

MalcQV
10-07-2008, 08:13 AM
..... annoyingly i took the photos on my camera and left it in hi res, so they wont go onto the website,

Windows XP? - Use Powertoys image resizer (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx)
Windows Vista ? - Prish Image resizer
(http://www.powerhourgame.com/windows_vista_image_resizer_powertoy_prish_image_r esizer.htm)

solskjaer99
22-07-2008, 10:02 AM
get the Meg's clay bar kit, and as already said you dont have to dry the car before claying, just keep adding a little of the detailing spray when it starts to dry. then use dodo lime prime, and get a wax pertinent to the colour of your car (again i use dodo light fantastic and it still beads after 2-3 months if done right.

I will be doing mine at the end of this week, so will try and put up some pics to let you see.........

Jaceb
23-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Only one choice, ZAINO

GarJE
23-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Whichever premium brand is cheapest is best in my book.

Whether it be Meguiars, turtle wax, auto-glym or anything else you can think of, I've never seen any appreciable difference between them.