PDA

View Full Version : Centre front armrest adjustment

rjt64
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
I recollect seeing earlier posts about the centre front armrest only being fitted to the SE and above Passat. I had a S for a while and it was missing-just a plastic storage box was in its place:confused:

Now I have my nice new Highline, I have the centre front armrest OK, but its about 6 inches further back than where I would like it to be.

If I put my elbow on it-surely what its designed for-my finger tips only just touch the bottom of the steering wheel:1zhelp:

I have tried to see if it moves forwards or backwards, but it doesn't appear to!

I have a wonderful electrically adjustable leather covered heated seat:D but the armrest seems to be fixed in place-the wrong place... in fact:mad:
Anyone else had/sorted this out please?
:beerchug:

DSGboy
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I recollect seeing earlier posts about the centre front armrest only being fitted to the SE and above Passat. I had a S for a while and it was missing-just a plastic storage box was in its place:confused:

Now I have my nice new Highline, I have the centre front armrest OK, but its about 6 inches further back than where I would like it to be.

If I put my elbow on it-surely what its designed for-my finger tips only just touch the bottom of the steering wheel:1zhelp:

I have tried to see if it moves forwards or backwards, but it doesn't appear to!

I have a wonderful electrically adjustable leather covered heated seat:D but the armrest seems to be fixed in place-the wrong place... in fact:mad:
Anyone else had/sorted this out please?
:beerchug:

Erm, not entirely sure that what you are trying to do sounds very safe. I have a feeling that the best advice is for both hands to be on the steering wheel at 10 to 2 or quarter to 3 and be able to move freely in order to deal with any sudden unexpecteds.

I mean we do have cruise control which is nice, but I'm not sure its intended so that you can put your feet up on the seat opposite to rest them and to recline your seat back and get your pipe out for a relaxing little snooze as you commute along the motorway.

Well, you know what I mean..

Stuart W
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
In fact as a taxi driver I thought it was for the rear seat passengers to put their feet on:zx11:

Maybe VW should rename it the centre rear footrest:mad:

james_tiger_woo
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
I thought the most you could do was move it up on a 4 (or is it 5) notch level - that's what I do as the 1st notch up position is what I use....

rjt64
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
DSGboy said

but I'm not sure its intended so that you can put your feet up on the seat opposite to rest them and to recline your seat back and get your pipe out for a relaxing little snooze as you commute along the motorway.

I've always thought of myself as being a flexible sort but, really:D I'd be a circus performer if I could do this:confused:

domestos
04-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I have driven three cars and had differnt setups in each...

My own car is a 55 plate SE 2.0TDI Passat and has a centre armrest with a cover that adjusts to four levels to get a comfortable arm resting position for motorway cruising.

I had a hirecar which was a 57 1.9 Passat S and the centre armrest was not there - it was just a plastic box. That was very uncomfortable.

Finally I also had a 57 2.0TDI Sport Jetta, and that had a centre console with the arm rest on which did seem a little far back - however - after lifting up the cover to the first level I was able to slide just the cover forward to rest my arm on.

The reason the passat had one further forward is because it had the auto handbrake button thingy...

The jetta did have a traditional handbrake, but the armrest when slid out got in the way of putting the handbrake on. So traffic lights became a little bit of a problem...

Hope this helps...