PDA

View Full Version : Wheel and tyre size options

stormin Normin
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Hello to everyone, I have just registered and am soon to be a new owner.
As ever, knowledge comes sometimes after you needed it.

I have placed an order for a Q7 Black (sorry) S and have gone for the 21" wheels.
I have just read on a similar thread that perhaps the 21" wheels and tyres give a more bumpy and noisy ride.

Is that correct???? :1zhelp:

Lofty79
01-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Possibly but youll get paid back dividends in handling. I beleive you can also get 22's so 21's will not be the worst. Im sure the ride quality in the Q7 will outway any minor road noise or firmness. Plus it will look the balls:D

Qcut
03-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I've got the 20" wheels on mine. There is a very discernable road noice that comes up from the wheel arches on crappy British roads, but it is not intrusive. The engine is pretty refined as well although you can't expect it to match a saloon.

I've never rated the ride as particularly good on Audis (i've had an A3, A6, Q7) but I sort of accept it as the price you pay for the benefits. Audi engineers are obviously used to better road surfaces in Germany and adjust their suspension settings and damping accordingly. The comfort setting on the air suspension is ok but dynamic makes you feel every bump, rut and camber in the road. In my opinion the ride is better up front and harder in the rear seats. Bigger wheels and lower suspension improve the dynamics and I think the Q7 handles amazingly well but there is a price to pay on the comfort front.

stormin Normin
04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reply's so far.

I am coming from a Porsche 911 and so I suppose any less level of road noise will be better. :aargh4:
From the ridiculous to the sublime you might say.

Stormin