PDA

View Full Version : Imports

Katherine
14-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi there

Just a quick little question! Are there any negatives with buying an imported car as opposed to a UK car in terms of insurance and residuals?

Katherine

stuart
14-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi there

Just a quick little question! Are there any negatives with buying an imported car as opposed to a UK car in terms of insurance and residuals?

Katherine

Hi Katherine

I am led to belive that some insurance companies will not insure imports, not sure why though:( and you will fiind that there will be a slight decrease in the value for it when you sell it on.

The only other problem you may have is that imports come with a 2 year warranty instead of the UK 3 year.

But I think that the savings you make when new, make up for the things you loose;)

Stuart

Whitie
14-02-2005, 02:33 PM
My previous car was an import. At the time I purchased it the car was roughly 2yrs old.
Upon entering the UK it will need to go in for an SVA which is pretty much an MOT. When it goes in, the car will need to be near mechanically standard as when it rolled off the factory line.

As said price can/may devalue a bit faster

Katherine
14-02-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm looking at a new pre-registered (2005) 2.0 GT TDI VW Golf 140 ps 5-door for £15699 + £350 for paint. At a guess, how much more of depreciation are we looking at and will it still need an SVA?

stuart
14-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm looking at a new pre-registered (2005) 2.0 GT TDI VW Golf 140 ps 5-door for £15699 + £350 for paint. At a guess, how much more of depreciation are we looking at and will it still need an SVA?

Hi Katherine

If the car is "pre-registerd" , all the paperwork should be in order when you purchase the car, so you should not have to worry about anything, just purchase and enjoy:D

Not sure on the depreciation, may be worth speaking to a dealer and ask the question.

As for your problem with your current car, I have emailed your post to a VAG specilaist I know, so I should have an answer later today. I hope;)

Stuart

Whitie
14-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Sorry my fault. Just about to add if its an Eu car all will be ok ;)

Katherine
20-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Hi there :D

Just to let you know that my insurance company have said that they will insure the new car without any problems and quite cheaply. Apparently problems only occur if the car is not a parallel import, i.e. from Japan.

Katherine
;)

stuart
20-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi there :D

Just to let you know that my insurance company have said that they will insure the new car without any problems and quite cheaply. Apparently problems only occur if the car is not a parallel import, i.e. from Japan.

Katherine
;)

Hi Katherine

Always better to check first though;) Insurance companies will use any excuse to charge more if they can.

Stuart