PDA

View Full Version : T4 Fuel & Temp display voltage regulator

Leddo
01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
If any one can help me with this it would be great?

For about the past year now my fuel and temp gauges have been working intermitently on my 2.4D 1996 T4. When they work they both work, but it makes it a gamble with running out of diesel! And I really don't want to over heat the engine.

I have looked into it and a friend had the same problem he replaced the voltage regulator? (not 100% sure thats the correct name for the part) for the gauges and it fixed the problem, I spoke to my local VW dealer and they though it also made sense to change this voltage regulator.

So I have the part and yesterday went in search of the faulty one in my dash, stripped the steering colum and got to the dials, removed them as one unit, and had a good look around but couldn't find anything that resembled my new part.

Does anyone know where I might find this elusive gremlin in my dash board?

Like I said any help greatly appreciated.
John

t4caravelle
30-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Common problem and one that's a real nuisance. Banging on the dash makes mine work.:biglaugh:

DoctorM
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Have also had similar problem. On my M-reg T4 you either get (1) both guages registering normally, or (2) temp. guage says cold and fuel says half full or empty. Can you tell me what a new regulator cost, and what the part number is? If not too expensive, I will try and replace mine and let you know results. If you let me have a postal or e-mail address I can let you have a print-out of the (Volkswage style) wiring diagram. Will probably not match yours exactly (what is fitted varies from machine to machine and I have 'customised' my circuit to my own campervan) but it could be useful. Drawback is that the dash electronics shows lamps and guages, but the electronic bits are just shown as a hatched box with no indication of internal wiring. However there are mysterious numbers spread around the diagram, and occasionally these match the numbers on the moulded plugs etc. which helps confirm what is what. It includes colours of wires, which is useful.

Leddo
11-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I got one from the VW dealer for about £10 sorry don't have the part number. I have also found the location of the part in the dash.

You need to dismantle the steeing colum and surround untill you can remove the clocks. Once you have the clock unit out the front un screws and comes away. This should leave you with the dials mounted ontop of a circut board.

Look into the top right corner of the circut board as you look at it and you should see the voltage regulator mounted in with a small screw, the part its self is about 1/4 the size of a postage stamp and has three prongs sticking out from it (although you cant see these when its mounted in place). I can't remember if you need to remove the speedo dial to get to it or not.

I have got pictures of this if you still can't find it.

I replaced mine but it still doesn't work, I think I may have damaged the fuel/temp gauge in early explorations!

Cheers
John

DoctorM
11-06-2008, 09:57 PM
To Leddo: thanks for the info. Will check it out when I get spare time (if that ever happens!).

Peter

seaboater
16-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi, If you look at the back of the dash you will see it held in by a small screw, however this may not be your problem. I changed mine only for the problem to continue, it turned out to be a fault with the circuit board. By the way its called a voltage stabiliser. seaboater

Gilbz
17-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I have the same problem and just had a look at mine today.
I don't think I'll bother stripping it all down etc.

The way I get mine to work is by pressing the perspex covering the dials.... Usually top left does the trick!

I reckon it could be down to the circuit board rather than the voltage thing, but then I'm no mechanic!

jackjessmax
19-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Best place to look is not the small three prong regulator, but the soldering (six solders points) of the socket the regulator pushes into.

Probably problem is due to minute solder cracks in one/some of these 6 points as the screw will not allow the regulator to flex with the circuit board (my gauges used to play up, and templght flashed if I slammed the drivers door!).

Have resoldered these joints on my two T4 vans with total success. Use a sharp head solder iron - you will probably get away with just appying the iron to re-melt and harden the solder, however, best to have a bit of spare solder wire to be sure.

Total cost to me was the soldering iron (£6) Total time approx 3/4 hour.

It's worth doing for the peace of mind!

I found this on a "wobbly gauge" web site that had a step by step instruictions and photos, but can't find it now!

Job done!
:beerchug:

jackjessmax
19-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Found it - go to

http://www.vwoc.euromarques.com/technical/tales_from_the_toolbox/t4_gauges.htm

it has detasil and links to pictures of every stage!:Blush:

Gilbz
19-06-2008, 06:20 PM
lol nice one!
Think I will take the laptop down to the van to do this job for those guides, just hope my wireless connection goes that far!!

Gilbz
24-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Found it - go to

http://www.vwoc.euromarques.com/technical/tales_from_the_toolbox/t4_gauges.htm

it has detasil and links to pictures of every stage!:Blush:
:beerchug:
Job done and FIXED!!
I haven't had a properly working fuel and temp guage for 5+ years!!

It took me about 90 minutes in total but that was only because my hand was shaking when I was soldering those 6 spots!

Thanks for posting the step by step. If anyone has used a soldering iron beofre with confidence then go for it.
I was so happy I went and refuelled the van just to watch the needle move! :biglaugh:

DoctorM
15-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Used the link given by jackjessmax to find the article and followed it through. Result was brilliant success. The fuel and temperature guages have always been erratic ever since buying the vehicle, so I followed the instructions to the letter and resoldered all the connections to the regulator socket. Since then, both guages have worked perfectly all the time. Only time I had trouble was during the stripping down when trying to lift the speedo off the instrument panel - it seemed very reluctant to come until I notice that there were 4 screws holding it. Doh!
Many thanks for the help which has solved the problem completely.

DoctorM