PDA

View Full Version : Swapping original bits for a flip key fob?

bll2109
01-04-2008, 01:24 AM
Hello,

I have been searching through the original posts concerning flip keys but none seem to answer my question.. i apologise in advance if anyone finds what Im looking for.

I have 2 remote flip key's for a 2000 W golf IV which both work, but both of them are completely 'used and abused'. both are externally damaged are worn and I would like to try and replace one of them with a new casing.

So my question is - if i was to buy a key with the same casing (possibly different part number, but visually the same) can I remove the circuit board from one of my keys and somehow remove the key blade from the flip, then reattach the original blade on the new fob and replace the circuit board with my original one... will it all just work without any reprogramming or anything?

from what ive read so far i understand, the keyless entry works from the circuit board and the immobiliser is controlled by a small chip inside the key blade.. so in theory im thinking i should be able to swap out the key blade and circuit board and itll work but ill have a nice new fob on the outside?!

if this is the case, does anyone have a link or advice on how i can take the key blade off the original key to put it on a new one.

some clarity on this for me would be very appreciated, thanks in advance,

ben

ini
01-04-2008, 03:09 AM
If you buy the same design key, you should be able to transplant the internals.

You may need a small grinding tool to release the circuit board from the buttons (2 brass pins)

It would be simpler to buy the correct remote and just swap the blade and transponder chip/capsule.

The transponder chip in VW flip keys can be found in the key part of the remote.

Gently remove the the VW logo with a scalpel/fine blade, remove the hidden screw and open to find your transponder 'Chip' or capsule.

If it has the glass capsule type, be very very careful removing it, as they are often bonded in and are very fragile.

The blade is held in by a small pin, but there is no need to remove this. Simply swap over the entire key/spring part when you open the top part of the remote to remove the transponder.

This example is one of my old Audi remotes:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/inisj/Audiremoteparts.jpg

Apologies for the poor image quality.

bll2109
01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
thanks so much, the screw under the emblem was so obvious, yet not!! i didnt even think. d'oh!!

It would be simpler to buy the correct remote and just swap the blade and transponder chip/capsule.

I thought it might widen my chances of getting a cheap fob if i didnt go for model number specific fobs? As i understand it, if i was to get a fob with the slightest difference in model number, the chances are that something has changed in the electronics and it wont work? whats your view on this?

If it has the glass capsule type, be very very careful removing it, as they are often bonded in and are very fragile.

the chip is bonded into the plastic just as you said and as in your picture. i tried to get it out but couldnt, any recommendations?

when i was taking the key apart I scratched it up a bit in the process. not that i mind cos its the key i wanna replace. but it was really hard to get apart, will the new key potentially be as stiff or not so?

Thanks in advance, :beerchug:

bll2109
01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
on second thoughts... the key had a lot of flaky white stuff in, im thinking the prevous owner might have glued it together or something, cos there is a bit snapped off from the little hole to get the battery cover off, so looks like someone had a fight with it prior... might explain what it took so much effort to prise it apart after the screw was removed.. hmm..

ini
01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Many of the transponder capsules seem to be bonded in with cyanoacrylate, so you could try using 'superglue remover' to extract the capsule.

I generally use a craft knife and carefully cut away the glue & plastic until it is free.

This list can be used as a rough guide for purchasing UK/Euro frequency VW remotes:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/inisj/VWRemotescopy.jpg

Info from http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-REMOTE-KEY-FOBS_W0QQugidZ10000000002183437

bll2109
01-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi ini,

thanks for the all the info. it may be the case that im not going to be able to do what I wanted to do then. I currently have a HLO IJO 959 753 A, this is the model of key to the one you have shown in the image you sent me earlier. it is distinguishable by the oval buttons:

I was hoping that I could replace the key with the newer looking one, distinguishable by the metal loop on the top, it also has squarer buttons on the other side to shown.

but the frequencies on these keys are 4.33 and 4.34 (respectively)... so from that info i am thinking I cant use the newer key for keyless entry, but by implanting the transponder, it will work for the ignition if i replace the blade?

although in the table above, the two models of keys for MK4 golfs both range in 2000... my golf is May 2000, so im presuming they changed to the new style shortly afterwards seeing as i have the 'oval' key fobs?

i notice in your picture gallery you have some pictures of the old and new style keys together, have you managed to get the new style key working instead of the 'oval' type.

Thanks for your advice.

Ben

ini
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
The 433.92MHz and 434Mhz keys are identical frequencies, the notation is just rounded up.

You should be able to use the 'HL0 1J0 959 753 N' key, which i believe is the square type.

It can be simpler & more economical just to use an aftermarket 'Central Locking' kit, swap over your transponders and blades into something like this. (i use one of these kits in preference to my Audi remote)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110233989201&ih=001&category=75329