PDA

View Full Version : Vw golf mk 2 1.6 driver overheating Help

gwh18
01-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi folks hope someone can help me with my overheating problem. Water light came on just as i got home. When I stopped coolant seemed to be coming out of the back of engine N/s passenger side at back, around expansion bottle but not bottle or hoses,No coolant seems to be leaking from near engine block.
Took car to garage they could not get engine to overheat in two hours. Though they noted there seemed to be some steam coming from back right of engine. Obviously they weren`t too interested as next time I was stuck in heavy traffic the gage started to go up alarmingly . Heading over 3/4. As soon as your moving gauge goes down to half and sits consistently. Coolant loss only occurs when gauge goes up, no loss unless this happens.
I think Radiator is working as should Hot at top but gradually getting cooler as you go down the matrix. The heater in side car works, perhaps a little to hot when you have it on speed 3. There is no Mayonaise in under oil filler cap. The fan is working but the edges of fan blades seem to be a little chipped as though they were rubbing against something. Also one time when i stopped the fan was still going round but making a noise, when i lifted up bonnet the fan didn`t seem to be speeding around fast. Not slow enough that you could think you could stick your finger in (obviously wouldn`t do this anyway) but for last 30 seconds or so the fan wizzed round faster, they way i think it should work, and made no funny noises.If you push fan round when engine is off it doesn`t touch any thing.
if your still awake after reading this . My thoughts are , I don`t think head gasket has gone as why would heaters still work. 2) fan not working properly so water is coming out of some pipe some where I can`t see once system gets pressurised. Would hate to take to another garage without some sort of idea what to look for .
Car occassionaly stalls at slow speed. Coming up to junctions etc. Starts no problem and wouldn`t stall at all if you pull manual choke out slightl;y when coming up to these things. Would think thats would be the now famous golf carb problem i`ve been reading about.
Boring myself now so if anyone can help with ideas it would be much appreciated. I`ve only had car a month so I don`t have experiance to fall back on, on how the car ran before
cheers folks

yellow-160
13-04-2008, 06:31 PM
My mk2 is plagged with bloody cooling probs! my heaters dont even work!

If you start the car and leave it running till the needle hits running temp feel the bottom rad hose. if its cold and the temp is still rising id say ur thermostat is gone... it opens at 87'c if it doesnt open the water wont run through the rad and car will just get hotter and hotter! also worth taking the hoses ofk and checkin for blockages.

you could also try holts speedflush

if the temp is rising the water will boil and may crack the header tank, the tanks and lids are pretty common probs

All parts are avail from GSF (german french and sweedish) just google it.. nice quick friendly service!

hope this helps