PDA

View Full Version : Boiling up

vandiesel
31-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi. I have (only recently) got a 2.4 1998 T4. 200k miles. I was driving along today thinking 'I'm really glad I got this van'. About 1 minute later the temperature guage rose to 3/4 and steam billowed from under the bonnet. I let it cool down and refilled it It just happened again after about 7 minutes of driving. Any ideas of what may have caused this? I realise theis may be one of a number of things but would really appreciate a response on possible causes.
Thanks
J

t4caravelle
30-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Sounds like head gasket.:aargh4:

vandiesel
30-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah I did fear that. However, I replaced the flat fuses near the battery, rad cap and thermostat. Looks like it was the thermostat sticking. Hoping it hasn't done any damage. So far so good.

alfiboy
10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
had sort of the same problem with my found some one had put radweld in it .if it still pushing water out try the little hose that come from the header tank to the head on the drivers side that gets blocked with radweld aswell.

Dunk
15-06-2008, 12:38 AM
It was a stuck thermostat

jackjessmax
19-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Salutory warning - I had exactly this, but it was, on the surface, gasket failure (apparently earlier T4 2.4D gaskets get 'spongy'), but it led to a new head.

Beware, if the tube from the head (top left rear of head) becomes blocked (it is only a small dia connection) it wont allow accumulated gas to get away fron around the head - leads to differential pressures and temps - then to head cracks!:mad: