PDA

View Full Version : SD Cards

Vinnyg
31-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Does anyone (I'm thinking the lucky ones who've already taken delivery) know if the SD reader on the new A4 is still limited to non-SDHC cards?

I believe on previous models this was the case and there was also a limited of c500 files.

Any ideas??

moptisam2
01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Last week I test drove a 57 plate (registered Feb) car with the SD slot.

I had prepared 1 x 1 GB and 2 x 4 GB cards. The 1GB worked fine and I could not understand why the 4GB ones did not register.

I read the manual and saw that the reader will only read cards up to 2 GB.

As for the number of files, I don't really have an answer (as I can't get the 4 GB cards to work) but if you create folders and put the individual tracks into these, you may find that whereas you have, say, 20 folders, you have more than 500 individual tracks.

I had the same problem a few years ago with a Zip drive. It would only allow you to put on a certain number of files, so I put the excess files into another folder and it worked OK.

Vinnyg
01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Moptisam,

There two types of SD cards, standard SD and SDHC. Typically standard SD cards are 2GB or less, although you can get 4GB ones (seem to be expensive though) and on another forum (Spanish, so can't really check the details!)someone had used one of these without problems. As far as I know B7 models cannot read SDHC and your experience seems to confirm that.

I guess the question is, does the B8 with MMI etc use the same basic stereo as the B7 and hence have the same limitations, or has it been updated in which case you would expect it to accept SDHC cards.

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday and check the user manual....

the_gasman
01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi Vinnyg,

Please let us know when you find out the answer.
I am interested too.

Thanks,

Martin

moptisam2
02-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Vinnyg

Send me the link to the Spanish bit and I'll translate it for you.

May take a couple of days as I've a lot of work on.

Mopti

Vinnyg
02-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks Mopti,

But don't worry about it if you're busy. I fly out to Europe again at lunch time and not back till the weekend so not going to have much time to sort anything out before my car arrives. Also, I've just remembered that I have a couple of 1GB SD cards from an old XDA (urgh!) I used to have.

If you are interested though, it's on the forums at Audisport Iberica. If you google Audi Iberica it's the first result. It's quite an active forum with loads of extra info on the A4 B8 including photos of users' cars (even a nice white one). But obviously all in Spanish unless you use the Google translate link, not that that helps a great deal! Although not a problem for you obviously.

Vinny.

Vinnyg
07-04-2008, 02:36 PM
As mentioned elsewhere (by Jebu in his review I think) the manual says max 2GB, so looks as though it's essentially the same system as in the B7.

Couldn't find an old SD card around so have ordered one online. Will let you know if I have any probs.

ini
07-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Has anyone tried using older compatible MMC or MMCplus cards (1.4mm thick)?

Is a DRM enabled card (SD) a requirement?

MackemMan
10-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I have never used an SD card, except in my camera & phone. I even had to look up on Wilkpedia to find out what they are & the different formats. How desperate is that?

Now I have a vague idea, but I dont understand how they work with the audio system.

Presumably I use a SD writer to create a load of MP3 files. My questions are: Are there any other acceptable formats? If I create 2gb of files do I write them as a single batch of individual tracks or can they be retained in folders which relate to CD albums? If I do the latter, does the audio system show them in this way & is it possible to jump between albums when playing?

I am sorry if these questions seem rather simplistic but I am in catch-up mode here. I am just about to buy some SDs and a reader in readiness for the arrival of my A4 (whenever that is).

Many thanks for any help.

dc1743
11-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I have never used an SD card, except in my camera & phone. I even had to look up on Wilkpedia to find out what they are & the different formats. How desperate is that?

Now I have a vague idea, but I dont understand how they work with the audio system.

Presumably I use a SD writer to create a load of MP3 files. My questions are: Are there any other acceptable formats? If I create 2gb of files do I write them as a single batch of individual tracks or can they be retained in folders which relate to CD albums? If I do the latter, does the audio system show them in this way & is it possible to jump between albums when playing?

I am sorry if these questions seem rather simplistic but I am in catch-up mode here. I am just about to buy some SDs and a reader in readiness for the arrival of my A4 (whenever that is).

Many thanks for any help.

The SD slot supports MP3 and WMA files recorded at a bit rate of up to 320 kbps. The best way for a novice to approach this is to use Windows Media Player (WMP) to rip some of your CDs. You will find that WMP (if it has internet access) will create folders named after the artist in your My Music folder (this is configurable and some people use a different scheme). WMP will name each file appropriately. You can then simply copy these folders to your media (either CDR or SD card). The music system in the car allows you to navigate though the folders quite happily using MMI and the steering wheel controls. It even supports m3u playlists.

I only collected my 2.0TDI SE last night but managed to play MP3s from a CDR made just like I describe above on my way to work this morning! Happy days :)

Regards

MackemMan
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Appreciate your helpful reply, dc1743. However I now have another dumb question!

Checking the net I can buy a 2gb SD card + reader for around £10. This seems a good deal as PC World are selling a 2gb SD card on its own for around £25.

Why is there such a discrepency? Are there makes of SD card to go for / avoid.

Cheers

moptisam2
12-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I am using SanDisk, but when my car eventually arrives I am going to buy some Dabs own brand ones.

Check out prices before you buy. I foolishly bought a 1gb card from Argos and paid £22 for it. Exactly the same card is just over £6 at Dabs.

Talk about 'buyer beware'!!!

mistryman
14-04-2008, 06:18 AM
guys for those of you that dont want to buy over the internet and wait for delivery aldi the supermarket (YES aldi) are sell a 2gb sd card for £10, works well in my a4 b8

dsmith133
16-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I bought a 4gb sd card the other day. The problem is that is is really slow in the car. Every mp3 track takes for ever. Am i doing something wrong? Does anyone know what needs to be done to get the 4gb working

moptisam2
16-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm interested that you can even get the player to recognise it. Are you playing it on a Symphony 6 CD set up? I tried, in a car I had for a couple of days, and it could not even 'see' it. I found out why, when I read the manual for the Symphony system. It would only read SD cards up to 2 gb.

dsmith133
16-04-2008, 04:31 PM
ok if you try this product it works fine on the device

http://www.memoryking.co.uk/acatalog/info_68_1.html (http://www.memoryking.co.uk/acatalog/info_68_1.html)

its basically the SanDisk Secure Digital Card 2048MB 133x Extreme III (2GB)

Super fast reading the data. as the for the 4gb i still don’t understand y it is slow. I have got the Symphony 6 CD setup as well.

audunfr
16-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Hello. I am new to this forum so don't kill me yet :-).
I am going for a test drive tomorrow at my local VW & Audi provider. I was thinking about copying some test songs over to a memory card that i have for one of my digital cameras. Is there any limitations like folder structure that i should be aware of?

My current setup is:
Country
Pop
Div

With .mp3 and .wav files. Can Audi A4 read this properly?

Thanks for any answer.

- Audun

moptisam2
19-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I found that if I just try to put individual songs (as individual files) straight on there seems to be a limit you can have. If you first make a few folders and then put the same amount of individual songs/files into the folders, there's no problem.
If you are sorting into the 3 categories you mention first, each in its own folder, you should not have a problem.

audunfr
19-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the answer.

I tried my setup and it worked fine.
But i couldn't play .wav files. Is this normal?

And the stok cd player was crap. The sound in a normal Toyota is better :Blush:

Thanks and my new car is a A4 when I have the money hehe.

MackemMan
21-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I am getting bored waiting for information on my order so have spent the time setting up my audio library for the new car.

This is my first time with SD cards & I have been using the Roxio software to create my MP3 files.

When producing the files Roxio asks me if I want high or low quality MP3. The difference is that an album will be about 40-50 mb if low quality & 80-100 if high quality.

I have used the low quality option throughout.

Is this likely to be OK, or have I got it wrong?

I have managed to get approximately 40 albums on each SD card. Pretty impressive if it works.

browellm
21-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I am getting bored waiting for information on my order so have spent the time setting up my audio library for the new car.

This is my first time with SD cards & I have been using the Roxio software to create my MP3 files.

When producing the files Roxio asks me if I want high or low quality MP3. The difference is that an album will be about 40-50 mb if low quality & 80-100 if high quality.

I have used the low quality option throughout.

Is this likely to be OK, or have I got it wrong?

I have managed to get approximately 40 albums on each SD card. Pretty impressive if it works.

From the file sizes you quoted, it looks like "low" is equivalent to 192kb/s which is absolutely fine for car audio. I wouldn't personally go lower than 192 though. High looks to be 320kb/s.

DobarDabar
21-04-2008, 09:55 PM
In my opinion, if you ordered bang & olufsen or Audi Sound System, than you should prefer better quality mp3. There is no limit of SD cards that you can own :)

browellm
21-04-2008, 10:05 PM
In my opinion, if you ordered bang & olufsen or Audi Sound System, than you should prefer better quality mp3. There is no limit of SD cards that you can own :)

I would almost defy anyone to credibly tell the difference between 192kb/s and 320kb/s in a car environment - regardless of B&O or not.

DobarDabar
21-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I would almost defy anyone to credibly tell the difference between 192kb/s and 320kb/s in a car environment - regardless of B&O or not.

I agree with you. But if you are human ;)

HouseUK
22-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Very helpful thread. How come the salesman couldnt answer any of this but I get the answers here in no time.

moptisam2
22-04-2008, 05:52 PM
To respond to the point about salesmen, rather than directly about SD cards, I met a salesman who was surprised when I pointed out that the servotronic power steering is not standard!!

browellm
20-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Bit of a long shot this: Can anyone that is using SD cards have a look to see if FLAC file format is supported.

50% of my collection is FLAC and it would be nice not to have to re-rip it to mp3

HotChip
26-05-2008, 05:34 PM
The SD function on my new motor is superb. No longer will I be cracking CD covers as I try to jam them in the glove box.

One little niggle though. It seems to play the tracks in a folder in alphabetical order rather than in track number order. I've searched the MMI for an option to change this but can't find anything.

Am I destined to have to rename my tracks with the track number at the start to get them in order, or is there a way round this??

Help..

MackemMan
26-05-2008, 05:59 PM
When I was creating my MP3 files the software created every one with a track number at the beginning of the name. I think this looks a little untidy on the MMI because I am not bothered about the sequence.

But best facility of all is Shuffle. All the tracks on my favourite CDs in random sequence.

HotChip
27-05-2008, 08:07 AM
My wife says I have a bad case of OCD when it comes to things like this. In case there's anyone else out there who's a wee bit @nal, here's how I got on.

I renamed all the tracks on the SD cards to include the track number at the start. That put them in numerical order on the MMI and when I played tracks on the way into work, it automatically took the track number off the title, but still kept them in order! Sweet!!

I can sleep easy tonight.:biglaugh:

Devlish
28-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Have anyone tryed to use a MMC card in the SD slot to see if it works or not ??

RichardCranium
29-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Just ordered 2 Integral 2gb SD cards from 'memoryking' for £6.99each. Hope they will do the trick

74ns
20-04-2009, 11:17 AM
so I have bought my Trans 4GB SD card and SD card Reader, I then tried to make files on the card and transfer music across from my itunes folder, only 1 folder works.

How can I get them all to work? do I have to copy all files over to the Windows Media Player? and try from there?

Any help would be appreciated as I am losing my will to live :zx11:

:beerchug:

mkc
20-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Ive had hit and miss with these SD cards, Im tripping over SD cards (I work for a telecoms operator and get new phones almost weekly)

Ive taken my tracks (320kbps, MP3, max folder structure of 3 levels) and they worked fine on a 1GB Micro card in an adapter, moved the same tracks to a 2GB Micro Card in an adapter and "Unreadable" appeared on the screen.

Moved them to a 2GB full size card and they would not work, I then moved the tracks from their folders and created a huge list of 200 tracks on the root and they worked......... I really do think its the ID Tags/length/special characters in track songs that make the Audi system go funny. Im now going to take my huge list of tracks and work backwards putting back in Album Titles folders.

So, Ive found no specific solution only that some Micro cards work in adapters and others do not regardless of brand. Audi Manual is very specific to format of cards and type of files but does not always work.

74ns - I would just locate the MP3 on your harddisk and copy and paste them to your SD card, thats how Ive been doing it. Create what you want in terms of folders and tracks on your PC/Mac and then copy and paste across as it is.

74ns
20-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Ive had hit and miss with these SD cards, Im tripping over SD cards (I work for a telecoms operator and get new phones almost weekly)

Ive taken my tracks (320kbps, MP3, max folder structure of 3 levels) and they worked fine on a 1GB Micro card in an adapter, moved the same tracks to a 2GB Micro Card in an adapter and "Unreadable" appeared on the screen.

Moved them to a 2GB full size card and they would not work, I then moved the tracks from their folders and created a huge list of 200 tracks on the root and they worked......... I really do think its the ID Tags/length/special characters in track songs that make the Audi system go funny. Im now going to take my huge list of tracks and work backwards putting back in Album Titles folders.

So, Ive found no specific solution only that some Micro cards work in adapters and others do not regardless of brand. Audi Manual is very specific to format of cards and type of files but does not always work.

74ns - I would just locate the MP3 on your harddisk and copy and paste them to your SD card, thats how Ive been doing it. Create what you want in terms of folders and tracks on your PC/Mac and then copy and paste across as it is.

Cheers mate, although thats what I have been doing, only a few files / folders worked though then deleted and tried again and nothing worked! i'll keep trying to perserve then..

andyrp
20-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I have a Transcend 4Gb card working perfectly (you can pick these up from Ebay fairly cheaply). This is standard SD memory (not SDHC) and I have mp3 bit rates varying from 192to 320 kbps and have all of the album folders in the root directory of the memory card i.e. no subfolders. The files were added to the card by simply dragging and dropping the folders to the memory card in Windows Explorer. I am sure the manual recommends not using micro cards.

gregpawley
21-04-2009, 01:37 AM
I have a Transcend 4GB SD and a Transcend 4GB SDHC card, both work fine, I added the mp3s just using windows explorer, with an Artist, Album, Track file structure.

There was a previous thread which seems to suggest that someone has got 16GB SDHC cards to work. However when using a Mymemory home brand GB SDHC card I got an error.

Mine is a 09 card with Symphony and B&O so hopefully the latest hardware and software. I’d be very keen to see if anyone has managed to get an 8GB or 16GB SDHC card to work, as I can prove that SDHC cards will work see attached pictures

Regards,

Greg.

Audi A4 2.0T, Lava Grey, Piano black inserts, S Line Executive, Heated front seats, Bang & Olufsen, Telephone prep low, Parking Plus, Hill hold assist, Cruise control, Interior light package, Folding mirrors.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/misc/progress.gif

Devlish
21-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Well according to Audi, it should not work with SDHC cards at all, so i don´t know what to belive anymore, since so many got 4 GB SDHC to work and some got 16 GB :P

rich164h
22-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Is it safe to assume that the "normal" speed SD cards are fine for MP3 playback? or do I need to go for a faster x133 card?

I can't belive that standard card would have any problems but I'm going to order some today and just wanted to check.

gregpawley
22-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Even with the standard SD card access time is instant so you should not have any problems, in fact see no improvement using the faster SDHC card.

The advantage will be if anyone can advise a higher capacity card that works.

Audi A4 2.0T, Lava Grey, Piano black inserts, S Line Executive, Heated front seats, Bang & Olufsen, Telephone prep low, Parking Plus, Hill hold assist, Cruise control, Interior light package, Folding mirrors.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/applied/misc/progress.gif

rich164h
22-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I understand about the higher capacity, but as there seems to be mixed options about whether SDHC cards larger than 4GB actually work or not, it seem prudent that if, for whatever reason, we are limited to 4GB just to go for the standard cards (non-SDHC) and avoid the SDHC issue all together.

If that's the case, transcend do a normal speed one or a x133 speed one. My question was about whether it's worth paying an extra £5 or so per card for the x133 one. I wouldn't have thought it would have made any difference to mp3 playback and it would just be the initial transfer of the files from the PC onto the cards that the difference would be seen. I do a lot of photography and know that a faster card makes a huge difference but for mp3 playback I'm just not sure it does.

Oh and, yes I know it's only £5 but I'm going to be ordering 6 of them so it adds up to a reasonable amount extra for potentially no difference in capability.

Nano Jake
23-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Ok I just tried an 8gb SDHC Transcend card and it works perfectly. I picked up my car on Monday so its fresh from the factory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/JakeSiney/IMG_4264.jpg

rich164h
23-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Excellent. That's what I'll go for then. Thanks mate.

Bristle Hound
23-04-2009, 10:53 PM
4gb transcend sd not sdhc

£7.15 delivered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-TS4GSDC-4GB-SD-Card/dp/B000LQ1LZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240523176&sr=8-1

£8.99 for a x133 one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-4GB-Secure-Digital-133X/dp/B0012ZL56A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240523176&sr=8-2

or 8gb sdhc transcend

£12.49 delivered

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000P9ZBFA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1240523412&sr=1-1&condition=new

gregpawley
24-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Ok I just tried an 8gb SDHC Transcend card and it works perfectly. I picked up my car on Monday so its fresh from the factory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/JakeSiney/IMG_4264.jpg

Hi can you go into the MMI and confirm what hardware and software versions you have, you should come with a screen as attached: -

Thanks,

Greg.

Audi A4 2.0T, Lava Grey, Piano black inserts, S Line Executive, Heated front seats, Bang & Olufsen, Telephone prep low, Parking Plus, Hill hold assist, Cruise control, Interior light package, Folding mirrors.

Nano Jake
24-04-2009, 09:57 AM
See Attached. Appears the SW code is different.

allanmmck
24-04-2009, 10:05 PM
My car also has SW 300 installed ( Car delivered on 1 March 2009) Has anyone got an 8Gb SDHC card to work with this older version?

rich164h
24-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Picked up my new car today and it's SW 310 so fingers crossed the SDC cards will work. I'll try one tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

gregpawley
25-04-2009, 12:12 AM
My car also has SW 300 installed ( Car delivered on 1 March 2009) Has anyone got an 8Gb SDHC card to work with this older version?

My car too was a 1st March 09 car, I tried earlier a micro SDHC card from my phone, this is a Scandisk 8GB card worked fine, so I'm hoping that a 8GB SDHC card will work. Might go for a 16GB SDHC card too, if it doesn't work guess it'll be destined for the camera.

I have asked my dealer what the Audi official line is regarding SD SDHC cards, and what features the 310 softwear gives over the 300, soon as I have any news I'll post on here.

Bristle Hound
25-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Might go for a 16GB SDHC card too

Could you fill a 16gb sdhc card with music? :aargh4: :D

DaveTom
25-04-2009, 11:07 AM

course you can - but I don't!

I've got 3 x 4gb (full) and a 2gb to put new stuff on. When that's full I'll copy across to amther 4gb & start again.

You need a good multi-card source when driving through Europe, unless you want to listen to Dutch, Belgian, French & German radio stations. Having multiple cards means if one chews up, you've always got something else to listen to. I've never understood this rush to try & get everything on 1 card.

DaveT

gregpawley
25-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Tastes varied as mine no problem, in fact thinking of re-ripping my collection to WMA in stead of MP3, this way can have higher bit rate and still squeeze more onto a card.

Audi A4 2.0T, Lava Grey, Piano black inserts, S Line Executive, Heated front seats, Bang & Olufsen, Telephone prep low, Parking Plus, Hill hold assist, Cruise control, Interior light package, Folding mirrors.

rich164h
25-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Ok. I've tried with a borrowed SDHC card and it worked fine. Now got an 8GB one on order.

I noticed that in the car's manal it says that the card reader supports cards up to 32GB, so it does suggest that SDHC was of course compatable all along it's jsut that audi didn't have the software to utilise it properly (thankfully something that's now been fixed).

Bristle Hound
25-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Checked mine today too and its SW 310. Picked the car up on Tues 210409

Gotta try to find a SDHC to see if it works now! :D

allanmmck
26-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Just tried a Kingston 4GB SDHC card with SW 300 and it works fine.

Can't see any obvious reason why an 8 or even 16 GB should not work with this version.

gregpawley
26-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Just tried a Kingston 4GB SDHC card with SW 300 and it works fine.

Can't see any obvious reason why an 8 or even 16 GB should not work with this version.

I have SW 300, my Transcend 4GB SD and 4GB SDHC both work fine, I tried a Scandisk 8GB micro SDHC this also worked OK, however a Mymemory own brand 16GB SDHC card came up with an error.

I'm waiting to hear back from Audi what the official line is and what advantages the 310 software gives.

JimD
26-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Can the software be updated? My A4 was only delivered 9th March but (strangely) seems to have a much older SW version (230) than people are posting here.
Jim

73kingstonroad
26-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi All...

Can anyone tell me which formats can be read off a SD/SDHC card.

I mainly have AAC files (m4a) type.

All so whats you thoughts on the 'Kingston' Brand of SD/SDHC cards.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/images/products/prod_103548.jpg

Thanks

Martin

nickhx
27-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I have an 08 A4 and the Hardware Version is showing as H11 and the SW as 0130. The car is going in for a software update later this week, so I will update this thread and let you know whether any SDHC work with the latest update.

In the meantime, I was wondering whether anyone has got a H11 hardware version, with software that is later than mine? (the dealer sent me a screen grab of a car with 0150, so I presume this is the latest version for H11 hardware models).

rich164h
27-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi All...

Can anyone tell me which formats can be read off a SD/SDHC card.

I mainly have AAC files (m4a) type.

All so whats you thoughts on the 'Kingston' Brand of SD/SDHC cards.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/images/products/prod_103548.jpg

Thanks

Martin
No problem at all with Kingston cards Kingston are one of the top 3 memory manufacturers. In fact that card is exactly the same as the one I tried over the weekend and it worked just fine.

Devlish
28-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Do anyone know how much time it takes so get the SW updates on the Concert stereo ??

I have 210 and the SDHC cards will not work :(

It might be the Hardware version to, this is H02, and I see many got H01 and H11, anyone gotten SDHC to work on H02 version ?

And by the way is 320 the latest firmware update ?

rich164h
28-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Do anyone know how much time it takes so get the SW updates on the Concert stereo ??

I have 210 and the SDHC cards will not work :(

It might be the Hardware version to, this is H02, and I see many got H01 and H11, anyone gotten SDHC to work on H02 version ?

And by the way is 320 the latest firmware update ?
310 for me was with the symphony stereo, not the concert. No idea what the situation is with firmware for the concert I'm afraid. I very much doubt it would be the same and if the numbers were the same it would be almost certainly coincidental.

Devlish
30-04-2009, 11:45 AM
So can anyone confirm that the SDHC cards works on a Concert player with HW: H02 and any version of SW: like 300 or 310, i got 230 and it won´t work with that version of SW

Devlish
05-05-2009, 12:29 AM
I have been informed that the stereo can not at this time be updated with newer software. It is not possible to even change the stereo with a new one with a version thet got then new SW :P

So until they get a easy way to update the stereo on the car, we just have to wait :P

messina72
07-05-2009, 08:02 AM
I live in Shanghai, 3 weeks ago my A4L 3.2 Quattro was delivered to me.
The sd card reader reads 1gb, 2gb and even mini sd with the adapter, the other day I bought an 8gb sdhc card and nothing, it doesn't read it, the car manual has absolutely no info regarding the sd reader.
I got the english manuals sent to me, and it says the reader can read up to 32gb, however my feeling is that this depends on the country you're in, here they haven't got a clue, I even asked the dealership today, and they just told me, why don't you buy a normal 4gb card and try it..........well that's my sad contribution to this section. i hope they can update the reader firmware.

Devlish
07-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I live in Shanghai, 3 weeks ago my A4L 3.2 Quattro was delivered to me.
The sd card reader reads 1gb, 2gb and even mini sd with the adapter, the other day I bought an 8gb sdhc card and nothing, it doesn't read it, the car manual has absolutely no info regarding the sd reader.
I got the english manuals sent to me, and it says the reader can read up to 32gb, however my feeling is that this depends on the country you're in, here they haven't got a clue, I even asked the dealership today, and they just told me, why don't you buy a normal 4gb card and try it..........well that's my sad contribution to this section. i hope they can update the reader firmware.

As i understand, it is not possible to get the Concert, Symphony stereos updated at this point. If you got the MMI NAv, you can update the firmware.

But what you should first do is to check the version of your Software and Hardware.

ScottyUK
07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
But if you've got MMI Nav then you don't have an SD slot anyway...at least not until 3G.

allanmmck
21-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Just got a SanDisk Ultra II 8GB SDHC card and it works fine in a Concert Radio (HW: H01 - SW: 0300)

73kingstonroad
22-05-2009, 12:08 AM
**** ME all those numbers are playing havoc with my brain...

I've been down the pub with my mate and I'm Pi$$ed.

All I know is that I've been into AUDI today and my 4GB SDHC works with either ACC or MP3 files. @ 320 Kbps. The only problem is that on a MAC LAPTOP you seem to get extra files (4k size for each file) when you transfer your files over to the SDHC card.

In windows you can enable "Hidden Files" and delete them.

I'll have to look into this more tommorrow.
The same thing happens when I transfer files onto my daughters SD Card for her Intendo DS.... It may be a mac issue.....

Martin

73kingstonroad
22-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi...

Hang over gone now....

I've just placed a order for a Kingston 8Gb SCHC Card £13.49 delivered.
I got a USB SDHC card reader stick for £3.99 delivered.

Just need to load it up with some tunes and I'm all ready to go...

Oooops... forgot, need a car to play them in....

Roll on End of June.

Martin

Jop
22-05-2009, 07:50 PM
**** ME all those numbers are playing havoc with my brain...

I've been down the pub with my mate and I'm Pi$$ed.

All I know is that I've been into AUDI today and my 4GB SDHC works with either ACC or MP3 files. @ 320 Kbps. The only problem is that on a MAC LAPTOP you seem to get extra files (4k size for each file) when you transfer your files over to the SDHC card.

In windows you can enable "Hidden Files" and delete them.

I'll have to look into this more tommorrow.
The same thing happens when I transfer files onto my daughters SD Card for her Intendo DS.... It may be a mac issue.....

Martin

You can enable hidden files on a mac, but it aint so easy.
open terminal and type
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
press enter
then restart the finder

then you should be able delete the files before ejecting the disk/card
these files shouldn't have any effect on them playing in your car

Anyway, a few hidden files on your sd card is a small price to pay for hassle free computing :)

73kingstonroad
22-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi...

I found out what the file are.
The files can't be seen on a mac even with hidden files enabled.
If I put the card in a PC and enable hidden files they appear.
Then I can just delete them.

I had the same problem with a memory card used in my daughters NDS.

Martin

Bristle Hound
27-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Checked mine today too and its SW 310. Picked the car up on Tues 210409

Gotta try to find a SDHC to see if it works now! :D

Just got a Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 and it works fine with MP3 and WMA files!

I've managed about 80 albums worth on it at the moment, with about 2.75Gb left!

Got it for £11.85 delivered if anyones interested

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-8GB-SDHC-Class-6/dp/B000Y7DZY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243439581&sr=8-2

samip1983
27-05-2009, 07:55 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-8GB-SDHC-Class-6/dp/B000Y7DZY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243439581&sr=8-2

Got the same as above - no problems what so ever!

Works bang on.

mikeyboy64
09-06-2009, 05:33 AM

What's the difference between that one and this one also on Amazon (but slightly cheaper)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-SDHC-Class-Flash-Memory/dp/B000P9ZBFA/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Bristle Hound
09-06-2009, 07:31 PM
What's the difference between that one and this one also on Amazon (but slightly cheaper)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-SDHC-Class-Flash-Memory/dp/B000P9ZBFA/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

This link shows £12.49 delivered, my link shows £11.77 delivered! :D

Same card different seller it would seem!

73kingstonroad
09-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Hello..

Welcome back BH...

I popped down to our local Audi dealer today with my new Kingston 8GB SDHC Card, loaded with albums ready for when I collect my car. I tried it in two cars 09 A5 and a 09 Q5 but it didn't work....
I will have to go back to the Kingston 4GB SDHC Card for now.
It's not a major problem as I have AMI as well.
For your info the Kingston 8GB is a SDHC Class 6 card, were the Kingston 4GB SDHC is a Class 2.

Martin

Bristle Hound
09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Hello..

Welcome back BH...

Martin

Been busy on here - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Why thank you! :D

Don't you answer your Private Messages? :aargh4: :D

73kingstonroad
09-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Been busy on here - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Why thank you! :D

Don't you answer your Private Messages? :aargh4: :D

Private message answered same day and post adjusted as per your request...

Just been on DW and looked thro' your posts. Your car looks nice and clean.

Bristle Hound
09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Private message answered same day and post adjusted as per your request...

Sorry about that, but its not in my inbox - bloody 'puters! :aargh4:

Just been on DW and looked thro' your posts. Your car looks nice and clean.

Why thank you sir! :beerchug:

B19RAK
02-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Copied all my music from Itunes onto my Sd card using drag and drop. Works in the car no problem. However, it wants to play tracks in alphabetical order rather then sequence. Is there anyway to easily change this or do i need to redo all my music.

What is the easiest way to copy of my mac onto an SD card and keep all the track listings correct?

Jop
02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Copied all my music from Itunes onto my Sd card using drag and drop. Works in the car no problem. However, it wants to play tracks in alphabetical order rather then sequence. Is there anyway to easily change this or do i need to redo all my music.

What is the easiest way to copy of my mac onto an SD card and keep all the track listings correct?
have you tried setting the track number's in itunes?

there is a shed load of automated scripts for itunes/mac here (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/), that may help.
they are a piece of pi$$ to use.

B19RAK
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
have you tried setting the track number's in itunes?

there is a shed load of automated scripts for itunes/mac here (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/), that may help.
they are a piece of pi$$ to use.

Just noticed in itunes that view track numbers was not selected. I'm hoping if i enable them and try again it might work. Dougscripts is a like finding a needle in a haystack.

Jop
02-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Dougscripts is a like finding a needle in a haystack.
Any Good?
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=trackprefixtonumber
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=batchsettrackssorting
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=prefixtotracknumber

I think this may be the one your after.
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=tracknameincnum

B19RAK
03-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Any Good?
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=trackprefixtonumber
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=batchsettrackssorting
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=prefixtotracknumber

I think this may be the one your after.
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=tracknameincnum

Thanks for you help. Can you believe i can't find the bloody hash key on this Mac so therefore can't use the script i need.

I did however consolidate the library in Itunes which then in turn updates the Itunes music folder on the hard drive. Cut and paste....bingo. Its all there but the only negative is apart from compilations some albums are filed by artist rather then album. Much better then before though and all tracks are now in the right order.

Thanks again.

derekjordan
15-08-2009, 03:01 PM
it says in my manual ( Page 10)for audi symphony. on my 4 week old A4 2.0 tdi S line.
that the card reader supports up to 32GB. altough i haven't tried out anything bigger than 2GB Sandisk as they were on special in sainsburys for £3

gregpawley
15-08-2009, 03:08 PM
it says in my manual ( Page 10)for audi symphony. on my 4 week old A4 2.0 tdi S line.
that the card reader supports up to 32GB. altough i haven't tried out anything bigger than 2GB Sandisk as they were on special in sainsburys for £3

What hardware and software version do you have, I have a 2009 S line exec with sympthony and only have 4Gb, HW H01, SW 0300?

derekjordan
17-08-2009, 10:36 AM
how do I find out hardware & software versions

gregpawley
17-08-2009, 10:42 AM
On the MMI go into car/setup/settings then scroll down to version information.

icun
30-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi all.

Is this the SD card that works: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-4GB-Secure-Digital-133X/dp/B0012ZL56A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254327128&sr=8-2

Went to buy a 4gig one in Maplin here in Ireland and they wanted €51! (about £45)

ScottyUK
30-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I bought two for my car but then ended up in a MY2010 which supports SDHC.

Interested in buying them? If so I'll see what I paid and we can work something out ;)

icun
30-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, if they would definitely work in a 2006 A4 I'd be interested. I was gonna buy 2 4 gig ones anyway. Drop me a pm :)

Cheers.

GolferPete
30-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I bought a 4GB Sandisk SDHC card from Tesco for just under £16 about 3 days ago to transfer music from my PC to the HDD on a MY2010 A4 which worked fine, and has been used about 3 times (just to transfer data).

It is too big to work with my digi camera, I would consider accepting an offer....

icun
30-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks but SDHC wont work with my 06 A4

icun
30-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Just noticed, the Transcend one I saw also says 133x on it, seems to be some high-speed version. Is this the one that people have got working or would there be problems with it?

Here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-4GB-Secure-Digital-133X/dp/B0012ZL56A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254337362&sr=1-3

ScottyUK
01-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Mine don't say X133 but then again unless you're using it in a high speed environment i.e. digital camera then it won't matter. Mine are X45.

I bought mine for £14.29 from Memorybits.co.uk.

You can have them for £10 postage included if you like?

icun
01-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, a tenner is grand. Is paypal ok? If so, let me know your email address for the payment and I'll send it along with my postal address.

Cheers.

On an unrelated note - do you have any experience of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_3TdsZEEU

mcgrenre
10-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Just picked up new A5 2.0T here in Hong Kong. Was very much looking forward to using SD card function on the symphony, but now tearing my hair out as the media player keeps on telling me it is unreadable (but will play no problem on the PC). I have used 2 GB and 4 GB with no success. Now going down to buy a 1 GB non-HD just to see if I can get something working on it (although the 1 GB wil be more trouble than it's worth). For the record the salesman did place an SD in the stereo when I picked it up, and it worked ok. Am using WMA files.

I'm not the most IT savy, so anything that's staring me in the face? Thx.

cyeber
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Covert music format to mp3 format to avoid read issues.

Cars must have the latest software update to avoid read issues.

Tested sizes 8GB, 16GB and 32GB work fine. Micro SD(with adaptor) and Standard SDHC cards work fine as long as you have the latest software/hardware updates as of October 2009.

Buy known brands to avoid other issues.

Bristle Hound
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
£21.48 delivered - Transcend 16gb sdhc class 6 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0015AOK1O/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1255340665&sr=1-1&condition=new

harryg
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
If anybody is interested Morrisons Supermarkets are selling SanDisc 4 GB SDHC Cards for £5. I bought a few this morning......don't know how long this will last originally £7 better than internet no post and packaging and get them there and now.
PS they were bought in Scotland at my local supermarket in Johnstone.

icun
12-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Just to further add to what others have experienced with their car, the Transcend 4 gig SD card works in my 2006 A4 with RNS-E.

macallan3956
17-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I have a 2007 RS4 with 6 CD Exchanger and 2 SD card slots. Did not wish to fit an iPod conector which apparently is possible but you lose the CD Exchanger (according to dealer).

Have converted mp4a files to mp3 but used a 4mb card and it did not play, simply said it was 'loading'.

Am I right in assuming from this thread that max 2mb cards can be used?

Thanks,

Alistair

ScottyUK
17-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm afraid this forum is for the new generation of A4's i.e. B8 platform and yours in B7 hence you may not get much joy here.

Try the B7 sub forum ;)

Macd
20-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Aldi have 4GB SDHC cards in on Thursday for £6.99, not as goo a price as Morrison perhaps, Asda will give you a 2GB card for that price!

harryg
20-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Morrisons was still selling at £5 for 4Gig SDHC on Monday, will probably buy a few more this week and transfer the mp3 cd's to them.

ytsud69
20-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Just for info purposes the Kingston 8GB Micro SDHC Class 4 Memory Card works fine too.

vwawudi
15-07-2010, 10:24 PM
But if you've got MMI Nav then you don't have an SD slot anyway...at least not until 3G.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but have been searching all afternoon for the info you've so simply posted LOL!

Looking at a car with DVD Sat Nav and been wondering (and searching all over) if it had an SD card slot. Looked at pics but couldn't be certain if there were any slots.
Are you saying ALL of them (A4s) with DVD Sat Nav WILL NOT have SD Card slots?

That's a real disappointment and a deal breaker for me cos I think I'd rather have the functionality of the SD Card slot for my music etc than a sat nav I will not use as I have a realiable stand alone.

Or, should I be thinking long term ie the car will be worth more at resale if it has the sat nav etc...

Any advice received gratefully.

gazza1
16-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I would be very surprised if new Audis with sat nav didn't have sd card slots, think even if you haven't got the tech pack they are now included instead of cd changers (but don't quote me on that). The sd cards are concealed just under where you put the cd in.

I have a 59 reg A4 with Sat nav and it has 2 SD card slots and I was expecting a cd changer.

Not sure that having the sat nav or any of the other safety features will do much for the resale value at the mo-got a quote on my car from audi and I am really thinking next time round I am just gonna get a basic version as in less than a year mine has gone down in value by 11K!

vwawudi
16-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, been thinking about it and unsure if I should just keep looking. I do like the fact that the controls are around the gear knob, it looks classier to me.

I think the lack of SD card slots might be a deal breaker. 6 cd changer is so yesterday IMHO! Car is too far away to check physically.

Also, not sure if being an MMI 2G or 3G makes any difference to card slots. Wanna know what I can ask the seller.

nickhx
16-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, been thinking about it and unsure if I should just keep looking. I do like the fact that the controls are around the gear knob, it looks classier to me.

I think the lack of SD card slots might be a deal breaker. 6 cd changer is so yesterday IMHO! Car is too far away to check physically.

Also, not sure if being an MMI 2G or 3G makes any difference to card slots. Wanna know what I can ask the seller.

Would recommend going with SD cards over the Sat Nav system, however, if Audi Sat Nav is a must, you could get a B8 with the AMI ipod system fitted and use that instead?

vwawudi
16-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Would recommend going with SD cards over the Sat Nav system, however, if Audi Sat Nav is a must, you could get a B8 with the AMI ipod system fitted and use that instead?

Thanks nick.

Other than by physically seeing the car, is there any other way of finding out if it's got AMI? I have the reg number.

rd1
16-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I was expecting the SD slots with my MMI sat nav. The Audi brochure did give me the impression that they were included but on delivery found not so. Dealer later told me that if 2G MMI high is fitted then no SD card on any model. I don't think that has changed with the 3G MMI.

AMI though is superb and gives good options :approve: and compliments the sat nav very well.

gazza1
16-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Can't work how I managed to get the 2 SD card slots then though have to admit was led to believe I was getting a cd changer (not complaining love the SD cards). I have the HDD sat nav (no DVD) so maybe that's the reason? Will speak to my audi dealer about this.

Thanks for the tip when I buy my next one won't buy until I know for sure that they are included.

vwawudi
03-12-2010, 01:40 AM
<spam removed>.

Not sure this is allowed, mate.

paultheo
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Not sure this is allowed, mate.

My other half lets me use SD cards.;)

C172s
04-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi All,

I know this has been done to death. Firstly Picked up My New A4 S line in Ibis White in December. What a beast but its no less than beautiful!

Coming from a 2000 A3- then to a 2004 (54 plate B6/7?) A4 Sport tdi 130 -then to an '09' A3 Sportback..now a 60 A4 Sline B8...beautiful experience all the way through.

I bought an SDHC 4GB and transferred some songs from iTunes directly to it, but some songs worked on my car and others didnt. the confusing issue is that they are all in m4a format...do i still need to convert them or do i need a 'non-budget' card?

Any ideas

Thanks all..Safe driving..

spellsinger
04-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi All,

I know this has been done to death. Firstly Picked up My New A4 S line in Ibis White in December. What a beast but its no less than beautiful!

Coming from a 2000 A3- then to a 2004 (54 plate B6/7?) A4 Sport tdi 130 -then to an '09' A3 Sportback..now a 60 A4 Sline B8...beautiful experience all the way through.

I bought an SDHC 4GB and transferred some songs from iTunes directly to it, but some songs worked on my car and others didnt. the confusing issue is that they are all in m4a format...do i still need to convert them or do i need a 'non-budget' card?

Any ideas

Thanks all..Safe driving..

The first thing to try- copy a good file and a "bad" file to another card see if you get the same problem.

Secondly - from iTunes, select each file in turn - right click on the file and select "Get Info", under the summary tab compare both files, bit rate, iTunes version etc. See if there are any obvious differences. (This obviously is only going to help if there are differences in the encoding)

Mike

HotChip
04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a 2008 B8 and it only supports SD, not SDHC, however I got my hands on a 4GB SD card from this lot: http://www.offtek.co.uk
It generally works fine, although it is occassionally unreadable when you first start the engine and needs to be popped in and out to reset it.

I've plumped for AMI on my awaited A4, as 4GB aint enough to carry my whole Daniel O'Donnell catalogue.....

HC

cpridd
04-02-2011, 07:14 PM
I am not sure if this has been covered...there is much good (and free software) that can convert iTunes format to mp3 to make it compatible from the SD card. I personally use Free M4a to MP3 Converter...google it! It works!