PDA

View Full Version : Radio Unit RCD500 Failure

zacthedog
31-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Here in Sydney Australia my four month old EOS is great and I have been loving my first VW, but has just had the Radio/CD Unit suddenly fail to switch on. It appears to be electrically dead, no sound, no LCD info and no lights, although the surround button illumination lighting does seem come on intermittently. Have checked all accessible fuses and they seem okay.

Dealer is heavily booked and has no warranty repair slots for another ten days. Is there anything simple I can do to get the RCD500 to repower??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alan Munford
28-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Here in Sydney Australia my four month old EOS is great and I have been loving my first VW, but has just had the Radio/CD Unit suddenly fail to switch on. It appears to be electrically dead, no sound, no LCD info and no lights, although the surround button illumination lighting does seem come on intermittently. Have checked all accessible fuses and they seem okay.

Dealer is heavily booked and has no warranty repair slots for another ten days. Is there anything simple I can do to get the RCD500 to repower??

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I have a 2006 Passat and this has happened to me three times. Identical symptoms - surround illumination comes on for a minute or so if you attempt to turn it on, but otherwise completely dead. The dealer has been good and has fitted a new unit every time, but I'm not convinced that it won't happen again.

eosthomo
08-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Hi zacthedog

Having just joined the forum in order to find a solution to my radio problem experienced today, I see you had an identical problem in March. Presumably yo have had it fixed by now?? Can you give me any advice - I, like you will have to wait at least a week for a booking at the Canberra VW dealer (Lennock Motors)

My Eos is a DSG TDi bought in January

Eosthomo

zacthedog
08-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi zacthedog

Having just joined the forum in order to find a solution to my radio problem experienced today, I see you had an identical problem in March. Presumably yo have had it fixed by now?? Can you give me any advice - I, like you will have to wait at least a week for a booking at the Canberra VW dealer (Lennock Motors)

My Eos is a DSG TDi bought in January

Eosthomo

Hi,

Yes it is now repaired - they replaced the complete radio unit - apparently they have had a few like this and blame the radio supplier for a manufacturing fault. The replacement unit works well.

I am hopeful, in the unlucky event of a major mechanical fault, the VW dealerships will provide some sort of priority on warranty repairs!

eosthomo
08-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks Zacthedog. I'll try and give Lennock Motors a heads-up and hopefully they may have replacement unit on hand when I take the Eos in.

Eosthomo

eosthomo
17-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Just thought I would let you know that Lennock's replaced the whole unit this morning. They even happened to have one in stock to carry out the replacement straight away.
This may have been the result of an earlier e-mail I sent giving them a "heads-up" on what I thought was wrong and that it was likely that a replacement was probably required and the ensuing phone call stating that they di not carry such stock as it was VW policy not to supply replacement units until problems had been verified etc. I then launched into a rather robust response on what I expected for a $60,000 car and said I would discuss it further when I brought the car in.

Anyhow the bottom line is that the unit was replaced in two hoours and the 6 CDs were retrieved and returned. So we will keep our fingers crossed

Eosthomo