PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 8v head gasket?

dainott2105
30-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi folks, aint been a member on here long so hope i can help someone out with some info soon but i could do with some help at the mo. Checked the oil on my girlfriends 2000 beetle 2.0l 8v today and it was a little low so opened the oil cap to put some in and to my horror there was gunk under the cap. First thing in my head was headgasket, but strange thing is that the car hasnt overheated at all and wasnt low on water. Cant think of any other explanation for the gunk being there and wondering if anyone has changed a headgasket on a beetle or if there is possibly another explanation for this. I am quite handy with the old tools and think i would be quite happy to do this job myself and the belt needs changin aswell as the car is close to 60k. Do the heads warp easily on these engines then? Any help greatfully appreciated on this.

kenney
31-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi The gunk as you call it is not necessarily a sign that your head gasket is leaking.It is not uncommon.I would remove the cylinder head cover and give it a good cleaning,and check the engine breather hose for contamination.An olje change will not do any harm either.

dainott2105
01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
cheers for the reply mate, yea been having a chat with a few people and the 2.0 8v seem to use a fair bit of oil and mayo around the cap is not unusual. Car could probably do with an oil change. I am guessing that 15/40 is the standard oil but anyone recommend an oil to use (worth going a little thicker or thinner)?

datsun40146
09-04-2008, 12:56 AM
In the early 2.0 8v motors Vw stamped the piston rings updside down on many of the motos. vw will not admit this though however it has been proven by disassebling many of the oil burning motors. The only way to fix the issue is of couse a rebuild, out of your pocket. Or you could do what the rest of us do and just put in a quart in every 2K miles.