PDA

View Full Version : Noisy/clicking window

dcorcouk
30-03-2008, 10:29 PM
:aargh4: Before I go insane, can anyone help with an annoying window problem on my A3 (04 plate) SE 2.0 TDI?

I have had this car from new and after about a year or so, the drivers side window developed what I can only describe as a clicking or rubbing noise. This would be consistent with glass moving on something fairly solid.

After a good deal of experimentation I failed to sort the problem and so Audi looked into it. Initially one of the local technicians said that he knew what it was and it was sorted for a few months. When I complained a second time, the window guides were replaced and this seemed to sort out the problem for about a year.

Just after the warranty expired, the problem came back (what a refreshing surprise!). To their credit, Audi did look into it again and seemed to sort the problem out by applying a special workshop grease to various parts of the window mechanism. Sadly, the problem is back and I am at my wits end.

From what I can gather the window seems to go up fairly straight in the window guides but one part of it seems to jam up very tight under the automatic motor control. When driving, the tiny movement of the glass attached to the winding mechanism seems to make this area 'grind or click' against the upper rubber seal. (This slight movement can be felt if you get the window down about 1cm and put your finger against the seal and glass whilst driving). There seems to be nothing I can do to help the matter by cleaning the seals or lubricating them with a silicone spray.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a loose mechanism? Has some rubber mounting come adrift somewhere in the winding mechanism or window holding assembly?

Ideally I need something like a Haynes manual to help me but they advise that they won't consider producing one for the 2004 models until there have been 50,000 UK sales!! I would love to get the door card off and take a look for starters but if anyone could help in any way, it would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

dcorcouk :1zhelp:

Crasher
30-03-2008, 10:32 PM
A common A3 problem, they are a pain to set up.

Abs
01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Mine make the sound like that of somone grinding there teeth just before it closes (driver and passenger), would be interested to know if this is only a 3 door issue?