PDA

View Full Version : Project: Front End Conversion?

GHanson
30-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi All,
I have recently bought a 1997 Audi A3 1.6 8v 3dr Hatch,

I love it to bits but the front end is a little "aged" and has some bumps on it,

Would it be or IS it possible to fit the front end from a 2003> (Newer model) as shown below...

http://www.ukcarline.co.uk/car_pics/6-A3-Sportback.jpg

to my older shape...

http://www.audi.gavinhanson.info/pics/343932-1.jpg

If so does anybody know what i will need as the indicator shape is kind of the same? would i need to change my wings?, Will the slam panel (X-Member) need to be changed aswell?

This is something im DEFINATLY serious about doing and something i think will look great at shows, In my opinion the front end of the newer and rear of the older would work perfect! as the new rear end is ugly!

I'm curious as to wether this has been attempted? And wether or not it will be possible. if anybody could shed some light including photo's of attempts or anything to guide me before i shell out on a brand spanking new front end that doesnt fit id be most greatful!!!!

MickCheese
30-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Just looking at the pictures the wing shapes look a little different!

smiglyy
30-03-2008, 08:05 PM
im with mikecheese it looks totally different i in the middle of changin mine but mine is a 2004 newer shape to you i need bumper grille and bonnet think it a bit to much for yours m8

Ben
30-03-2008, 08:08 PM
unlikely.

clearly the bonnet, wings and bumper joint lines are totally different.

a3_rob
31-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Post some pics when your done converting Smiglyy. Would like to see how it turns out

S3 beast
31-03-2008, 09:59 PM
hi mate.. im glad u asked this question coz i've been wondering about this for a while now..
i have an S3 on a Y plate (225) and thought it would look DDGorgeous with the newer more aggressive lookin front end, however..
i feel disheartened by the replies on here, people dont thimk its do-able or think it'd be too much work..
I say if u have the time..patience and money, Go for it.. it'd be a very rare car, a real head turner!
Let me kno if u decide to go ahead and keep postin ur progress on here.. im keen to see the outcome.. cheers dude :biglaugh:

onzarob
31-03-2008, 10:10 PM
If your that keen get a tape measure and go measure up ;)

IMO I think the cost of buying a new bumper would be far too much as the new A3 is wider.

The way of achieving a similar look would be using fibre glass and making you own front bumper grill replacement maybe using the inserts from the new model :confused:

S3 beast
31-03-2008, 10:20 PM
tape measure.. wats 1 of them?! haha
im far too lazy for that mate, think ill keep my s3 the way it is..
I can dream tho lol:beerchug:

TheEggShell
01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
There is a front bumper on ebay to make the fornt of an old shaped Audi look like the new ones:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-8L-Front-Bumper-Silver-8P-Look-certified_W0QQitemZ140212826476QQihZ004QQcategoryZ 72206QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l 1247QQcmdZViewItem