PDA

View Full Version : Am I still under Warranty- Millage is more than 60K

Grandmaster80
30-03-2008, 03:12 PM
HI All,

I am the new user of this forum so please dont mind if this is a recurring question. I tried to find the answer but could not find one.

I just bought a 55 Reg 2.0 SE TDI 140 black saloon car. Its less than three years old but millage is around 71 K. Could anyone tell me if I am still under manfacturing warranty or not.

The dealer who sold me this car told me that its less than three year old so still under warranty but I read some where Warranty is either 3 years or 60K miles which ever is sooner? He did not give me any seperate warranty so I am worried what will happen if there is any problem with the car.

Secondly, Rear windows cannot be unlocked from Inside and some one has to open the door from outstide in order to get the passangers off (im not the chuffer!!)

It looks like my central Locking is set to single door opening because it opens only driver side door and then I have to open other doors manually. How can I change this. I could not go to Conveyance Menu by using wind screen wiper lever. Infact I dont get any thing when I press and hold button B of that lever. Does my car dont have that facility? How can i be sure?

Thirdly, I get message Service Now when I start engine. What kind of service I require and do you have any idea how much it would cost me.

Sorry for asking so many question but I will appreciate if some one can help. Its my first VW car and I am very excited to know everything.

Regards

Grandmaster

Stuart W
30-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I just bought a 55 Reg 2.0 SE TDI 140 black saloon car. Its less than three years old but millage is around 71 K. Could anyone tell me if I am still under manfacturing warranty or not.

The dealer who sold me this car told me that its less than three year old so still under warranty but I read some where Warranty is either 3 years or 60K miles which ever is sooner? He did not give me any seperate warranty so I am worried what will happen if there is any problem with the car.

As far as I know it's unlimited mileage until it's two years old, then it's either three years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes sooner, so you are correct and the dealeer is talking rot.

It looks like my central Locking is set to single door opening because it opens only driver side door and then I have to open other doors manually. How can I change this. I could not go to Conveyance Menu by using wind screen wiper lever. Infact I dont get any thing when I press and hold button B of that lever. Does my car dont have that facility? How can i be sure?

If it's like mine that can only be changed by the dealer.

However, you should be able to open all doors if you press the key twice - first press unlocks the driver's door, second click unlocks the others. You should hear the doors unlocking on the second quick, but don't wait too long between clicks or it won't work.

Thirdly, I get message Service Now when I start engine. What kind of service I require and do you have any idea how much it would cost me.

Probably an interval service and perhaps an inspection service, which will cost you at least £150-£200 at a VW dealer.

Stuart W
30-03-2008, 04:16 PM
You should be able to find out most of this if there's a manual and service book - if it's in the car it should be in the drop down drawer at the top of the glovebox compartment.

Trapper
30-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Grandmaster 80 wrote

I just bought a 55 Reg 2.0 SE TDI 140 black saloon car. Its less than three years old but millage is around 71 K. Could anyone tell me if I am still under manfacturing warranty or not.The VW warranty is for 3 years OR 60k, which ever comes soonest, so as your car has achieved 60k it is no longer covered. If you purchased from a VW dealer then they would normally give you a used car warranty, if you bought from an independent dealer they will usually try to sell you an independent warranty. If you have no warranty at all try searching Google for Warranty Direct.

Grandmaster 80 wrote

Secondly, Rear windows cannot be unlocked from Inside and some one has to open the door from outstide in order to get the passangers offI assume you mean that the doors cannot be unlocked from the inside? There should be a small lever to the rear of the door which can only be seen with the door open, its called a child lock so kids cannot open the door when travelling! If you find one push the lever and the door should open from the inside as normal. Don't know about your car but some have a switch on the drivers door to lock the rear doors.....

Grandmaster 80 wrote

I get message Service Now when I start engine. What kind of service I require Service requirement should be shown in your owners manual or the service book.

I would think someone with far more knowledge than I will give you better information, I haven't even got my Passat yet so I am only guessing, I'll be interested to see how close I am;)

Grandmaster80
30-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks Stuart and Traper for your replies. It was really useful. Now i can unlock all doors with double clicks as previously I was doing only single click. The problem with the rear doors was also sorted it was indeed a child lock and I found the hidden lever to unlock that (thx Traper).

I bought from Indpendent dealer and he says he will give me only one month warranty but if i need more he can sell seperately (I am not sure how much it would cost!!!). Any sugestions please.

Now the last un-answered bit is how I can get Conveyance Menu? I dont think my Passat menu is same as per many others in this fourum. It shows only Millage information (like Max speed, MPG, remaining fuel etc) nothing else like setting options.

Also buttons near gear lever has only one option ESP and remaining five does not do any thing and nothing written on it.? Does that mean my car needs upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

james_tiger_woo
30-03-2008, 06:25 PM
I bought from Indpendent dealer and he says he will give me only one month warranty but if i need more he can sell seperately (I am not sure how much it would cost!!!). Any sugestions please.

Note that an independant has to give you 3 months warranty - not 1 months as he states. Check the sale of goods act for details. You can get AA warranties to cover this

Now the last un-answered bit is how I can get Conveyance Menu? I dont think my Passat menu is same as per many others in this fourum. It shows only Millage information (like Max speed, MPG, remaining fuel etc) nothing else like setting options.

Nope this is the optional extra computer that you don't have I'm afraid - any other options are dealer (or VAG-com) set.

Also buttons near gear lever has only one option ESP and remaining five does not do any thing and nothing written on it.? Does that mean my car needs upgrade?

This is where other buttons could go - if you look in the manual, you'll see other things that might be able to go there

Grandmaster80
30-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks James, any idea how much AA waranty would cost me? my current millage is 71K!!

Where I get this VAG.com or upgrade my computer (dealer only or any indpenent garage?) and again how much it cost? does it worth having these optional things?

Thanks again for all Forum user and owners. Its a really helpful for novices like me.

Cheers

james_tiger_woo
31-03-2008, 10:23 AM
VAG.com is something that plugs into your car and gives you access to diagnostics, etc - I cannot comment on this properly I'm afraid - I'm sure someone else can....

As for warranty - it varies I'm afraid - go to http://www.aawarranty.co.uk/ or http://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/breakdown/car-warranty.asp for ideas, but as for costs, you'll need to ring around... I think about £200 is a decent guestimate.

Also, try asking your VW dealer...

This link, however, should help - and is well sourced and recommended (unlike my spelling):) http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/guides_warranty/index.htm

Edit - if you're a CSMA member, you'll get it for a lot less - I think from Brittania... (I've just looked into it)