PDA

View Full Version : 95 cordoda keeps blowing hoses

MickW
30-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi. My 95 cordoba blew a hose about one month ago. I cut the hose, put it back on but it blew again and the head gasket went with it. Got mechanic to fix the head gasket and now it blew three hoses in one day. Mechanic has tried everything, still doesn't know what's wrong and hoped he never sees me again. If anyone has had a similar problem maybe they can let me know what the problem is. Thankyou very much.

febay
30-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi Mickw
I had something very similar with my BMW 735 a few years ago now.It turned out to be the cooling system being pressurised by the combustion gases.Believe me we tried everything under the sun to diagnose the problem.It was also very dangerous as the built in pressure relief valve in the coolant filler didnt blow but it did eventually blow a hose just a few cms away from where I had my face a few moments earlier.
There are a couple of things it could be,cracked block,porous head, erosion.
Mine was pitting in the head which allowed the gas to get into the cooling side and pressurising it to excess.It was rectified by digging out the crap in the pits of the head until clean metal can been seen.Then degrease it and dry thoroughly.Fill pits with J&B weld or similar.Carefully level flush with the head,using a straight edge.Honestly it lasted until I sold it a few years after.Good luck.

MickW
31-03-2008, 12:46 AM
The head's been fully serviced and pressure tested. Plus the mechanic said he's checked and theres no gases in the cooling system. He also checked the water pump and the thermostat and he's run out of ideas

febay
31-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi MickW
Yes the mechanic may have done all he can.I was trying to say politely that we can all miss something.It is not always the head,like its not always the magnetron in a microwave or the programmer in a washing machine or the ECU in fuel injection.My head was ok on the FACE of it until you dug out the crap in the holes and filled them up and regained the FLUSH surface that you need to get a gas tight seal.My engine also showed negative for combustion gases,misfires or anything else.I eventually sold the car for spares as one winter I could not be bothered to sort the steering fault myself the MECHANIC got it through the mot but you could not brake safely above 70mph.Of course it was a different fault than the one I paid him dearly for a couple of months before!!!!!

saunders1587
30-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Rad blocked? Maybe had a leak before and someone but a so called 'dog turd' in it to stop the leak? Maybe the cap is blocked?