PDA

View Full Version : airbag fault reset

bora185
30-03-2008, 12:43 AM
I have tripped the airbag light by pulling out a wrong fuse out of the fusebox on my 2000 bora 1.9tdi. I have ordered a vagcom lead lead from the U.S off ebay and plan to get the software from the rosstech website. Using the cheap cable off ebay and the shareware version of vagcom would I be able to reset the airbag light?? Can anyone with any experience please advise as to whether I can reset the light using vagcom or am I going to have take it to the ********?

Crasher
30-03-2008, 12:53 AM
I have never used the shareware version but I think you should be able delete the fault code you have generated without having to visit the DEALER for them to use the system that has cost them thousands of pounds to buy.

bora185
31-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks Crasher, I hope I didnt offend by calling them ********, are you by any chance a shareholder in the VAG group, my reason for asking is what is all the thousands of pounds bull**** your going on about.

Crasher
31-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Not a share holder, it is just that I realise they have a very important role to play in supplying the cars in the first place. Calling them "********" is calling them thieves which they aren’t and I don't think it is fair, in fact it is neigh on slanderous. Where the price of parts is concerned, that is fixed by VAG DE. The labour costs are necessary to pay for the modern and smart looking premises that people want to buy their cars from so they have to pay for them. Some main dealers are better than others, my two local VW dealers vary, one is OK and the other much better. The system I was talking about is the diagnostic computer they HAVE to buy and subscribe to and these units costs thousands of pounds to buy.

Uwe@Ross-Tech
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, you can clear fault codes using the shareware version. However, since you are have a 2000 Bora, I would strongly urge you to use version 409.1 and not 311.2. Why? See this page (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vw_issues.html).

-Uwe-

bora185
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks fault cleared, airbag warning light gone!:aargh4:

Crasher
05-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Why are you screaming? The fault has gone!

bora185
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Im screaming because now if i crash my airbag will pop out! you know what i mean Crasher, do you want to come and test it for me, after all you are the Crasher:biglaugh:

Crasher
06-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Those days are long gone, I hope :D

andycraze
14-01-2009, 10:53 AM
hey guys

i'm having a similar problem with a vw bora X reg, 2000, 1.6 16v petrol

i'm getting AIRBAG FAULT message and airbag light, this came on a few days ago without any reason when starting up the car, it's been sitting in my neighbour's garden for about 2 weeks while i was gone, -6 degrees so i thought it was the cold that triggered it, no impact nothing like that

do you think this is just a simple software reset? or cable undone?

and...most important...will the airbag work (pop out) in case of an accident?

any help apreciated

Crasher
14-01-2009, 01:04 PM
There is no way of knowing without doing a code read, print and clear, then see what happens. If the same code comes back, you will know what is faulty.

andycraze
14-01-2009, 01:58 PM
my question was kinda dumb, i realise now :aargh4:

perfectly right, if software doesn't work than it's either cabling or in the worst scenario the actual airbag...

thanks

Boring Bora
12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I have done exactly the same thing, I do not have vag-com lead and software, what am I looking at to reset it cost-wise from a local garage?

paul b
12-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I have done exactly the same thing, I do not have vag-com lead and software, what am I looking at to reset it cost-wise from a local garage?
The going rate is usually £35 to £45 just to put it on the machine, plus whatever may need replacing.

But it can be a lot more than that, £45 is what my next door neighbour was just charged by a mobile mechanic for an airbag diagnosis on his Peugeot.