PDA

View Full Version : abs/tractioncontrol light

Raymarshall43
29-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I've just bought an A4 2.5tdi (04). It is under a short warranty. A light on the dashboard comes on foe a few seonds the goes out. happens occasionally when driving at (say) 60-70 mph. Doesnt happen at low speed.
The light is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark surrounded by a circular arrow pointing anticlockwise. It isnt in te handbook, but I think its related to abs/traction control.
Should I be worried? All answers received with much gratitude!:o

churp
29-03-2008, 05:37 PM
it to do with esp. it will flash if esp is counteracting driving, ie trying to keep you on the road. Will stay permanently on if malfunction in system; battery has been disconnected; if esp button has been pressed ie to turn it off; or if a fault is in abs system

Raymarshall43
29-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Churp
Thanks for that. there are so many bits on this car that werent on my last one! I'm sure I'll learn them all before I change it!
Thanks again, youve been a great help.
Ray M

solskjaer99
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
i have a problem with this warning lamp recently;

Whilst driving on motorway with cruise control on, i touched the brakes and the warning lamp came on and stayed on. this disapeared when i stopped for fuel and turned the ignition off. but then happened again exactly the same way. however today it has came on and does not go out after initial start-up as its meant to. all the handbook says is that it indicates a malfunction with either the ABS pr the ESP system and to contact the dealer.

Anyone got any thoughts?

for info the car had its 'big' service in ~July and aint due another one for 3500 miles, Brake discs and pads are fine with plenty life left in them and there are no weird noises or vibrations under heavy / light braking.

Please help if you can?!?!

paul b
03-04-2008, 11:01 PM
You say all the pads and discs are okay so next I would check for corroded/trapped ABS wires.

Paul

solskjaer99
04-04-2008, 08:56 AM
even more elusive

checked the rear brake lights last night and both the low level lamps are out even though the 3rd / high level one was fine. idea was to go get some lamps today and replace them but when i started the car this morning, everything is ok again. no warning lamp and both lamps working fine????

could this be the switch?

paul b
04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes! It definitely could be the switch. Do your homework on the search of this site, some will definitely tell you it's the switch. There's your problem mate, good luck sorting it.

Paul