PDA

View Full Version : loss of power and over reeving

Graham C ostello
03-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I have a 20v SE automatic, with full service history I bought it from my last company so I know its been well looked after.
I have a problem its lost power and acceleration, a freind drove it and told me to check for contamination in the auto oil...and it should be a single color... I dont know were to begin..also the engine is not reaching mid temperature on the gauge,when I accelerate my car is slow to respond as if the timmings out.

Please can any one help me as I dont want to walk into a dealership and pay to much if its something I could have done myself...also is this a common problem to automatics?
Many thanks,

G

Marc97
03-12-2006, 11:58 PM
After considering the over revving, your friend might be onto something.
I assume the car revs great without any problems and that it just struggles to actually get moving?

To check the auto box oil, locate the dipstick for the garbox oil, remove it and check the level and colour.
If its red, all is well and you might have to have the gearbox seen to.
If its black, it needs changing badly, any garage can do this for not a lot of money.

As for the temp, does the heater get hot? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, may just be a sender.

Welcome.

Graham C ostello
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Many thanks thanks good advice whih I appreciate thank you.

Graham

VW Techniker
04-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Many thanks thanks good advice whih I appreciate thank you.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Personally I would forget about the Auto Transmission fluid and focus on the temperature fault first if your temperature guage isn't showing correct temp'. If the sender or wiring is at fault it will give incorrect fueling and ignition timing, and possible high idle (or over reving). Check cooling system first, its very important... The first rule of good diagnosis is to check all the basics first... Auto fluid should be changed every 40k regardless of condition.

Robin