PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With My Audi

skillen
28-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I have an AudiA4 Avant 2.0 TDI registered in Oct 2006.

I recently got new tyres fitted and ever since the car is pulling to the left. You have to drive with the steering wheel slightly turned to the right to keep the car straight.
I got the wheel alignment checked by Kwik Fit today but has not made a difference.

Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it or will I have to go to an Audi Dealership

skillen
29-03-2008, 02:23 PM
bump!!!

twinturboboy
29-03-2008, 08:43 PM
It mightbe an out of shape tyre, not un-common and worth checking out !!

darkhorse1001
29-03-2008, 09:36 PM
check the brakes as well, could have recieved a knock when the wheels came off/on and an inbalance would have the car pulling to one side. you might notice one wheel becoming hot after a run which will give you a clue as to where the problem is.

Captain Answer
29-03-2008, 10:55 PM
I got the wheel alignment checked by Kwik Fit today but has not made a difference.

There's your first mistake, take it somewhere decent. ATS always do a sterling job. The car should pull very slightly to the left under normal driving anyway as a safety precaution

kimandsally
30-03-2008, 03:00 AM
Hi there firstly is it on all roads ie, some roads have a far greater camber and so the car runs to the left or is it very noticeable? Does it veer strongly to the left or is it a little?

It could be a tyre problem, you could swap the wheels and try that.

shaziman
30-03-2008, 08:49 PM
take it on the motorway and check. If it does it in the middle lane at a constant speed, then i'd get the tracking checked again, as mentioned before, somewhere decent! Do a 4 wheel alignment and get them to set it parrallel. Toe in/out is not healthy for current VW product as it will cause lower arms to wear, and is unnecesary. Its unlikely to be brakes, but i'd get them checked anyway to check that you don't have a sticky piston causing one wheel to slow when the brake aren't on.

COme bakck with some feedback and then can suggest other things if it isn't cured.

mluton
30-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Try swapping the wheels front ot rear. But could be the nature of the tyres.

rhencullen1989
31-03-2008, 10:22 PM
"the car is pulling to the left. You have to drive with the steering wheel slightly turned to the right to keep the car straight."

Do you mean the car is PHYSICALLY trying to pull to the left, or do you mean to drive in a straight line the spokes on the steering wheel are not central? If some numpty has altered your tracking then that could put your steering rack out of its central position because they have not centred the steering rack before they have adjusted the tracking. More than likely only one side had been adjusted. NEVER EVER let them take off your steering wheel and try to put it on straight, the steering wheel is not wrong. My A4 has a steering rack centralising hole which you can put a pointed bolt into to hold the rack in its central position, in this position the steering wheel should in the correct position (spokes symettrical about the centre line. this is also the position to do any tracking adjustments. Go to a garage you can trust.