PDA

View Full Version : 2.4D is a Non-Starter. Any Advice, please?

abrucken
28-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Hello All,
I've been browsing the Forum with interest since I bought my Camper. Excellent tips and community spirit!
I'd hoped to avoid this type of post as my first, however:
My 2.4 D, AAB, 1994 Westfalia, (with night heater), will turn strongly, but simply will not fire. It has fuel in the tank.
Turning on the ignition gives a ‘click’ around the pump.
The van has always been extremely difficult to start, sometimes turning over for up to 10 - 15seconds before the fuel combusts.
It has stood for three months, started once whilst I moved it twenty yards; then a month later, zero.
I’ve had the pipes off the fuel filter and found there is no pressure from the pump drawing from the tank, I felt nothing with my finger, so dropped the pipe into a container of diesel, nothing being lifted into the pipe at all, and nothing coming out of the injectors. A big air bubble in the return line, which was already there..
Am I correct to assume it's a pump problem - I believe these motors self-bleed. If so, is there anything I can take off/out and clean, tap, or replace? Or have I missed something really obvious, as I'm prone to do?!
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,
Paul