PDA

View Full Version : Water in footwell (again!)..

toomanycars
03-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I know this is not the first post on this but I need some more help! My 02 A4 1.8T is letting in water and soaking the passenger foowell. I removed the tray covering the battery etc but could not get the battery out to clear out the debris properly. Trying to clear from underneath doesn't seem to be satisfactory (and it's bloody awkward working 'blind' without at pit!).

I noticed the battery is held down with a bracket and allen screw but how on earth do you access it? There is a big chunky rubber strip running almost the width of the car (brake pipes in this?), which is clipped to the metal upstand that the tray sits up to. I tried to get access by pulling this up but even then I needed a 10" long allen key (Ok slight exageration maybe but something like that) to undo the battery retaining bracket.

Any ideas? Many thanks

auiron
03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I know this is not the first post on this but I need some more help! My 02 A4 1.8T is letting in water and soaking the passenger foowell. I removed the tray covering the battery etc but could not get the battery out to clear out the debris properly. Trying to clear from underneath doesn't seem to be satisfactory (and it's bloody awkward working 'blind' without at pit!).

I noticed the battery is held down with a bracket and allen screw but how on earth do you access it? There is a big chunky rubber strip running almost the width of the car (brake pipes in this?), which is clipped to the metal upstand that the tray sits up to. I tried to get access by pulling this up but even then I needed a 10" long allen key (Ok slight exageration maybe but something like that) to undo the battery retaining bracket.

Any ideas? Many thanks

There is a rubber bung that the bonnet release cable passes through to access the cabin. This rubber bung may have come away and water floods through whenever it rains or you wash the car.

As to the rear footwell: the water is coming in through the car ventilation system and therefore you will have to find out how water is penetrating from the engine compartment. Completely cover the cabin filter so nothing can penetrate and pour buckets of water on to the front screen and see if any water finds its way through to the rear footwell. There is a small plastic tray that can be pushed backwards and forwards, positioned just under the front screen and over the cabin filter, it can be accidentally pushed backwards by a person changing the cabin filter and water will then flood into the cabin filter and ventilation system.

A method of reducing the flooding, a bit mickey Mouse, is to put silver foil over the cabin filter with some holes in.

I did read of one person drilling extra drain holes that helped the problem. Be careful not to drill through cables if you try this.

This water penetration is one that Audi have not admitted as a fault and many A4's going back to 1995 have the problem.