PDA

View Full Version : Alloys

j_coupland
10-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi all.

Quick question, I had 14" alloys on my Vauxhall Nova TD and I kept them when I got rid of the car, I'm thinking about fitting them on my Golf and wondered if the Nova and Golf share the same distances between the wheel nuts on the hub?

I ask because they are both German cars (well, the Nova is of Spanish origin) and thought they will fit nicely to my Golf. Can anyone help to save me from trying one first and so that I can inform my insurance company quicker?

Thanks
John

stuart
10-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Looking at my alloy wheel listings, the only thing I can see different between Nova and Golf 2 wheels, is the centre bore size (were the wheel mounts to the hub).

Stuart

j_coupland
10-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi again.

Sorry but I meant to state it was for my Golf 3 TDI, does this make any difference?
Thanks

JBOB
10-02-2005, 06:36 PM
They will fit as they are both 100x4 but as Stuart says the centre bore size will be smaller on the Golf and this carrys a lot of the weight of the car and will put extra stress on the bolts.

Im sure you can get some centre bore spacers but not sure where from sorry.

stuart
10-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Main things to check on alloys are:-

1. The stud pattern , 4 x 108, 5 x 110 etc. I belive VW and Nova to be 4 x 100

2. Offset, ET35, ET38 ect, this is how far or how close the wheel fits.

3. Centre bore size, this is very important, this is the centre hole size that locates on the hub. If you get a vore size larger than it should, for example, you put a 61mm bore wheel on a car designed for 58mm, it will leave a gap, and all the load will be on the 4 studs, not good!

If you visit any good alloy wheel specilaist, you should get adapter rings/spacers to do the job.

Stuart