PDA

View Full Version : Thieving Gits! - S3 Mirrors

Hedge72
27-03-2008, 02:22 PM
:zx11::1zhelp::zx11::1zhelp::zx11::1zhelp::zx11::1 zhelp::zx11::1zhelp::zx11::1zhelp::zx11::1zhelp::z x11::1zhelp::zx11::1zhelp::zx11::1zhelp::zx11::1zh elp::zx11:

I have joined to post these questions: -

I own a 57 plate S3, Tuesday night was the second time in 3 months to have my door mirrors stolen.

Audi tell me this is a regular problem.

I feel like selling the car now as I cannot handle having them taken again, or I will end up on a murder charge.

1) How big a problem is this, those who this has happened to can you either email me or reply to this thread?

2) I don't have a garage, the car sits on my drive. Are there any aftermarket devices that can be fitted to the car to stop this or at least set the alarm off?

3) Any other ideas? I am about to install CCTV and fit a massive flood light to my home, not what we should have to do to own a nice car?

Many thanks

Steve

dansansome
27-03-2008, 02:25 PM
welcome to the forums :)

if you are getting really irritated, you could always fit standard body colured wing mirrors?

not ideal i know, but its an option...

Hedge72
27-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Dan, that is one of my thoughts, but why should I? The cost is loads.

I feel Audi should atart taking some responsibility!

dansansome
27-03-2008, 02:53 PM
i totally agree that you shouldnt have to, and it infuriates me that people work hard to buy nice things (ie your S3) and thieving scum decide to help themselves.

are the s3 mirrors "full" chrome, or are they just covers on the back of a standard mirror? (any electric/folding/heating ignored)

Sam
27-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Look into installing the South African anti-theft device that shoots flames from underneath the car.

<disclaimer, this may be illegal>

dansansome
27-03-2008, 03:57 PM
please note: this option can ONLY be installed in conjunction with the chrome mirrors.

the plastic ones melt :D

Hedge72
27-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Dan, the mirrors are one piece metal, think aluminium. No back body colour bit to remove etc. Hence why they get nicked to go onto some boy racers A3 diesel!

These electrically fold, heated, auto dipping and cost £980 for a pair, fitting extra!

dansansome
27-03-2008, 05:05 PM
ouch.

(excuse my ignorance, didnt realise they were aluminium. :Blush2:)

well, im out of suggestions. i hope you get something sorted to stop/deter the scum from doing it again. good luck :)

Sam
27-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Serious: What about some super strength Loctite on the torx bolts?

Not serious: Maybe connect some leads from the battery straight to the metal of the housing - that'll show 'em

dansansome
27-03-2008, 05:59 PM
are the torx bolts exposed?

how about trying to find some non-standard bolts to fit the mirrors with? kinda like locking wheel nuts?

...tell me to shut up if you want, lol, just thinking out loud. (not really out loud is it, but you know what i mean :) )

Hedge72
27-03-2008, 06:21 PM
They dont fit like that, the black base part stays intact, the mirror snaps off under where it can swivell.

Thanks though.

bora(ing) nick
27-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Look into installing the South African anti-theft device that shoots flames from underneath the car.

<disclaimer, this may be illegal>

Not serious: Maybe connect some leads from the battery straight to the metal of the housing - that'll show 'em

LOL, that deserves some rep, made me giggle :D

PS: @ OP - Sorry about you misfortune...

NotallThere
24-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi, New to the site, but re 'security fixings', I use them all the time in my job as a data engineer, & I used to fit car alarms too!
1 solution would be to fit a Dual Zone Proximity Sensor, Clifford use them, the inner zone (inside the car) if disturbed would trigger the alarm, & the outer zone (a set zone around the car) would beep the siren, just a single beep so not to make a nuisance, but the buggers know there's something on it BEFORE they touch it!
or try to find a fixings supplier in your area, nuts bolts etc, & ask about security screws, security screwdriver bits can be got for about £4-5 for a set & they might have some bolts that you may be able to replace the standard ones with?
Worth a phone call or 2!
Phil.

STEWY L
24-11-2008, 11:18 PM
i don't think the flood light is a good idea.
you don't see it come on when you are asleep,and it actually helps the scum to see what they are doing.
i had one in my garden once and it helped them "do" my shed no less than three times.
quite by chance i got up for the loo,and saw all the kids bikes laid out on he lawn ready to take away. it must have been the sight of a light coming on in the house that made them run.
regards,
stewy.

euroslap
24-11-2008, 11:51 PM
We had a security light at my last house that had a plug in alarm that sounded when the light was activated. Just an idea but a pretty effective one. ;)

jst99
29-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I would go down the Clifford route if I was you, I have a 650MKII and the dual zone prox warning is fantastic, add the shock sensor and believe me they would never get the mirrors off without the alarm sounding. I invested in the cliffnet software so I could customise my siren so now I instantly know my siren as it goes through six different tones when activated. You should be able to get one fitted for about £500, so half the price of a replacement set of mirrors. I also had the glass break sensor fitted so now if anyone has a go I will know about it.

jst99

euroslap
29-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Youcan get a 650 Mk2 fitted from about £280 upwards, with the additional shock sensor I'd expect to pay about £350. ;)

jst99
29-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Youcan get a 650 Mk2 fitted from about £280 upwards, with the additional shock sensor I'd expect to pay about £350. ;)

Where can you get one fitted with all the extra sensors for that money mate?? Not questioning you, just interested as I need another one fitted for another vehicle........sure the last one was about £500 by the time I added all the extras so would be well happy to get the next one for that money ;)

euroslap
29-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Where can you get one fitted with all the extra sensors for that money mate?? Not questioning you, just interested as I need another one fitted for another vehicle........sure the last one was about £500 by the time I added all the extras so would be well happy to get the next one for that money ;)

RS Audio in B'ham do a basic 650 Mk2 for £280 fitted (it may be a tad more on the Audi but not a lot). I'm pretty sure they'll do you the 650 with a shock sensor for £350, I think for about £400 (maybe a little bit more) you could have a tilt/motion sensor aswell.

:beerchug:

ford776
30-11-2008, 08:37 PM
what about one of those alarm that shouts "move away from the vehicle"

joetyler
30-12-2008, 02:40 PM
buy a shotgun and find a good place to hide!

gixxerk4600
30-12-2008, 03:07 PM
install a cctv camera on ur house recording the car and inside the car to show the faces of *****!!!!!!

that is one thing that gets to me, people like you work hard to get gorgeous cars like s3 n people go out n ruin it all. my mate had his rs4 key'd

lugo35
30-12-2008, 08:45 PM
screw fix do anti thirft screw go in but dont come out. dont know if they the right size. bit of a sh** if you need to ever remove them tho.

im for the SA device or a BBbat:Blush: only thing they understand

RJS_90q
01-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Can you access the thread side of the fixing screws from inside the door ? If so, could you fit a longer screw and also fit a locknut to the thread inside the door ?

Alternatively (or additionally) RS components http://www.rswww.co.uk stock various security fasteners.

Specific search
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=retrieveTfg&binCount=131&Ne=4294957561&Ntt=security+screws&Ntk=I18NAll&Nr=AND%28avl%3auk%2csearchDiscon_uk%3aN%29&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=4294955423&Nty=1

Not sure what thread type or thread length you would require for your car but I'm sure someone could advise ...

Stainless steel would be a good option to minimise corrosion, probably also a good idea to fit a nylon washer between the steel screw and the aluminium mirror to prevent dissimilar materials corrosion too...

Hope that this helps,
Regards,
Bob