PDA

View Full Version : igition problem

Mr p
03-12-2006, 02:16 AM
hi everyone

need help - 2002 1.9 tdi passat estate - turn key - the starter clicks - turn again nothing happens - rock car to and fro - turn key car starts - battery been checked its ok - removed starter cleaned it replaced it and same thing happens - replaced starter with one from breakers - same problem - had check up from vw garage no problems found - vw garage replaced starter switch - same problem occurs - this may happen once a week or once every fortnight very intermittent any clues ????

sirandyb
03-12-2006, 01:02 PM
im not sure about the passat but the old vauxhall cavalier 1.7td had the same problem, it was caused at the back of the ignition barrel where when the key was turned the plastic on the back of the ignition barrel had wore and alot of the time wouldnt start.

when your passat doesnt start have you tried bridgeing the starter? this will let you know if its the starter thats not working.

Mr p
03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
thanks sirandy

will try wires around key barrell - already on my second starter - very unlikely i get 2 dude starters !!!!! more chance getting 6 lucky numbers - if it would only quit altogether then it more likely i could trace fault

adamss24
04-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Can you check the engine is grounded properly ? Also does the car has any aftermarket alarm ? My van used to have one of them aftermarket alarm and whoever fitted it wired a atarter intrerupt relay even though the car has its own factory immobiliser. It took me quite a while to pinpoint that faulty relay !

VW Techniker
04-12-2006, 12:43 AM
hi everyone

need help - 2002 1.9 tdi passat estate - turn key - the starter clicks - turn again nothing happens - rock car to and fro - turn key car starts - battery been checked its ok - removed starter cleaned it replaced it and same thing happens - replaced starter with one from breakers - same problem - had check up from vw garage no problems found - vw garage replaced starter switch - same problem occurs - this may happen once a week or once every fortnight very intermittent any clues ????

Hi Mr P

Remove starter motor again and turn engine by hand whilst looking through into the space where the starter motor came from and check that all the teeth are in good condition on the ring gear. I have had many ring gear faults on TDi Passat and Golf.

Mr p
05-12-2006, 12:22 AM
thanks to all for prompt response

thers is a power supply relay in the igition - which i have ordered - for a few pounds might as well replace it - thanks adamss24 - you are second person today to mention checking the teeth - thanks vw technike - someone told me to try the spare key in case it has something to do with the immobliser ?????

Marc97
05-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Surely if the ring gear was knackered the starter would spin?????
He says it just clicks.
Possibly 2 dud starters. I've been there, changed a part (faulty brand new replacement), still not working.
To be fair, you got your starter off a scrapper, who knows what condition it is in?

auiron
05-12-2006, 08:49 PM
hi everyone

There is a chance that the problem is the " Immobiliser Unit Loom ".

Hope it's not the ring gear breaking up, can be very expensive as the starter motor deteriorates quickly. On automatics they have to drop the gearbox, costs about £1,050 with a starter motor.

Marc97
05-12-2006, 08:53 PM
But if it was the loom it wouldn't even click as the immobiliser completely cuts power to the starter solenoid doesn't it?

adamss24
05-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Actually, with a faulty immo, the car will start but will cut off after 1 sec and the immo light will stay on. I still suspect a improper ground to the engine/starter. Take one of the starters apart and check the brushes inside, if they worn, take the starter to rebuild. Are the lights dimming badly when you turn ignition on= short within the starter or a faulty/discharged battery.

auiron
05-12-2006, 09:08 PM
But if it was the loom it wouldn't even click as the immobiliser completely cuts power to the starter solenoid doesn't it?

It means the car won't start sometimes and it gradually gets worse. I had a loom ( including unit ) and starter switch replaced in 2004 by a main dealer for £293.00.

loopback
17-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Hello,
I have the same exact problem with my 2001 1.8T.
I changed 2 starters the past week still have the same problem.
the problem comes and goes some times it starts other times it does not,if i rock the car for i afew times it starts.

Mr p
19-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Hello,
I have the same exact problem with my 2001 1.8T.
I changed 2 starters the past week still have the same problem.
the problem comes and goes some times it starts other times it does not,if i rock the car for i afew times it starts.

i cured my problem by double earthing the starter motor - bought a new earth lead 45cm long - connected one end it to a 10mm nut on starter body and the other to the original earth point on chassis leg - hope this helps

loopback
20-05-2008, 02:59 PM
i cured my problem by double earthing the starter motor - bought a new earth lead 45cm long - connected one end it to a 10mm nut on starter body and the other to the original earth point on chassis leg - hope this helps

I did exactly what you did and guess what it worked like a charm.
thank you for your speedy reply.