PDA

View Full Version : 2.5Tdi Power loss

Redbus
26-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi - just recently brought my Dads 1994 2.5Tdi Avant and really enjoying the space and comfort! She starts first time and is running fine - apart from just not having any power. She drives fine and will cruise happily at motorway speeds (and then some) but takes lots of time getting there. No umph for overtaking either. If you put your foot down she slowly comes to life and as the rev's rise, will start to shift but it takes a very long time. I remember my Dad taking me out in it a couple of years back and she used to fly - but not any more. Milage is 144K. I've seen reference to airflow meters elsewhere on the forum - would that be the likely cause? Help! :confused:

philbarber
20-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi - just recently brought my Dads 1994 2.5Tdi Avant and really enjoying the space and comfort! She starts first time and is running fine - apart from just not having any power. She drives fine and will cruise happily at motorway speeds (and then some) but takes lots of time getting there. No umph for overtaking either. If you put your foot down she slowly comes to life and as the rev's rise, will start to shift but it takes a very long time. I remember my Dad taking me out in it a couple of years back and she used to fly - but not any more. Milage is 144K. I've seen reference to airflow meters elsewhere on the forum - would that be the likely cause? Help! :confused:

Hi Redbus,
Your power loss could be from a collection of ware and flawed adjustment. So here a list of things to do to start with.

1/ Get the cam and injector pump re timed.
2/ Clean every earth connection.(Big issue)
3/ Change the air filter.
4/ Clean the airflow meter and make sure its action is smooth.
5/ Disconnect each engine plug on the bulkhead, clean, dry and re plug.
6/ Take a look at the computer under the carpet on the passenger side. Make sure the area isn't damp. Use a hair dryer to dry the area if it is and find/seal the leak.
7/ get all the sensors checked by diagnostics. Replace if degraded.
8/ Put some Armtech Engine restore in your oil. This stuff is liquid gold, well copper, silver and lead actualy. These engines realy respond to 250ml.
If that dosent speed it up then it's compression and other expensive stuff like pump control wear. Cringe.

Hope that helps.

Phil.