PDA

View Full Version : 50k Service

james_tiger_woo
26-03-2008, 04:53 PM
My Passat's due it's 50k service (already) - well, it's at 45k and the next logical service is the 50k.

I was ringing around for quotes a month ago and was quoted £310, £230 and £210 for the 50k service from Dealer A, B and C. Shocking.

My car's now beeping at me to actually do the service now so yesterday I rang around for quotes again - Dealer A, £220; B, £199; C, £155. Even more shocking.

Dealer B was where I bought the Passat and had loads of work done and a history as long as your arm, so I would rather go back there, so I called them and said that Dealer C has quoted me £155 and I'm inclined to go there when the service manager, without hesitation, said that he'd do the service for £150 all in. And he also said that as I was a regular he wasn't even going to verify the price (should've said £130! :biglaugh:)

While I'm well pleased, it's amazing how much servicing costs vary.

Note that these three dealers are VW and all in the same geographical region. (I'll pass on the names if asked nicely, but I'll omit the names in line with the site's policy as I've interpreted it....

I'll put that £50 towards the impending tyre change....

Stuart W
27-03-2008, 04:55 AM
So why do you think the prices reduced so much within a month james, or am I missing something??

Negativa
27-03-2008, 08:00 AM
My Passarati is due for its service too, but this one seems to be right on schedule! 49480 and its yelling that it needs service in 200 km or 94 days. Though I doubt the prices here in norway are as nice as in GB, I will still call and ask a few dealers for prices.. Will find out how strong the pound is, and post the prices I have to pay here in Norway.

Have a nice day!

james_tiger_woo
27-03-2008, 10:02 AM
So why do you think the prices reduced so much within a month james, or am I missing something??

I've no idea - It's a bit worrying as I usually get servicing done early and I would have been about £70 out of pocket....

james_tiger_woo
27-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Just dropped the car off and I've got a Passat courtesy car :-)

It's a 1.9tdi, but it's an SE - no 6th which is confusing, but it's a nice car - the 1.9 isn't as gutless as I thought (I'll compare it to my 2.0tdi tomorrow :))

james_tiger_woo
28-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Hmm, not as economical as I thought - I'll post the details in the "how economical is your passat" thread

domestos
05-04-2008, 12:37 AM
I always play the dealers off against each other for any work.

I am worried though that getting the work cheaper means I am not getting a full job... i.e.

Service Manager : This one wants a £150 service Mr. Engineer. Just give it ten minutes for the labour and miss out the fuel filter. Oh make sure you say the brakes are 75% worn too...

Maybe I am just being parnoid...