PDA

View Full Version : battery problem Polo 1.4L, N reg

scotti
26-03-2008, 03:48 PM
PLEASE would someone help.

I have recently bought a Polo 1.4L, N reg with 37000 miles on the clock.

For the last 6-7 months since I bought it (private sale), the battery drains flat within 2-3 days of previous use. I am constantly having to re-charge it. Even when it has been charged and I’ve run around in it, within a few days it’s a bit sluggish on starting.

Any longer than 3 days, without use, and it won’t start. When the ignition is turned, there is no power/noise at all and the clock on the dash resets to zero, sometimes the alarm will go off.

When it first happened we bought a brand new battery, when it went flat again we took it back to the supplier who tested it and said there was no problem with it.

We have had the timing belt changed (different problem,tensioning mechanism was faulty).

The mechanic says alternator output is fine so am at a complete loss. Our local garage says it’s because I don’t use the car often enough?

Something must be draining the charge tho’ (or is that the 6 million dollar question)

It’s a real pain ‘cos I never know if the bloomin’ thing will start or not.

I would be really grateful if someone would offer their expert advice/suggestions, I am at my wits end!!!

cheers, scotti

g40jon
29-03-2008, 12:04 PM
interesting one! have you tried removing the fuses and leaving the car for a few days, then re-fitting them to see if the car will start. it will prove weather something is draining the battery or not.