PDA

View Full Version : Head skimming?

Strutt
25-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Just removed the head from my mk2 88 1300cc golf.It's stripped bare with the exception of the valves and is booked in to be skimmed and pressure tested.Do i need to remove the valves or will it be skimmed with them in.

nayhorn
26-03-2008, 08:19 PM
should be ok without removing the valves mate, i know i dint have to take the valves outa my gti when i had it done nr christmas, just make sure EVERYTHING else is off of it cus when i was talkin to the bloke who did mine he was saying he charged more if he had to dismantle it himself

nathan

Strutt
30-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Didn't take valves out, just got the head back. Smashin job, do you think i should replace anything before putting it back together.Any advice???????

nayhorn
30-03-2008, 08:02 PM
ermm guessing you got a new head gasket? if so did u just get the gasket or a full set thingy?

Strutt
30-03-2008, 10:01 PM
All new gasket seals,head bolts,water pump,timing belt and a service.I heard that while i had gone to this trouble i should change valve seals or is it seats,i m not sure, any idea???????

nayhorn
05-04-2008, 12:44 PM
All new gasket seals,head bolts,water pump,timing belt and a service.I heard that while i had gone to this trouble i should change valve seals or is it seats,i m not sure, any idea???????

well i dint do either when i did mine and still seems to be going ok, if you were goin to do it then why not do both!?

wacker
09-04-2008, 10:52 PM
A friend of mine is an engineer and when he looked at the head of the car i'm doing for a friend he said the inlet valves had to come out, because we put a straight across and the edge of the valve was touching.

nayhorn
09-04-2008, 11:16 PM
if the valves are sitting proud then they will have to be removed before it can be skimmed, it all depends on the engine its come off, some you will have to remove valves, some you wont