PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate opening (Avant)

alogbe
25-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a 2007 A6 Avant which does not have the automatic tailgate opening option. My question is: can I nevertheless adjust the opening height?

The reason for question is very simple: the open tailgate is out of reach for my wife. She's not exceptionally short - this must be a common problem.

Peter D
25-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I have seen one with a strap hanging down which allowed the shorter owner to pull it down to close it. I do not know whether it is an option but I suspect it is. Regards Peter

alogbe
23-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a 2007 A6 Avant which does not have the automatic tailgate opening option. My question is: can I nevertheless adjust the opening height?

The reason for question is very simple: the open tailgate is out of reach for my wife. She's not exceptionally short - this must be a common problem.
I hope I'll be forgiven for repeating this question. It's become more important, unfortunately. The inconvenience for my wife is not the only issue - after all, I can always get a taller wife.

What's more important is that in several parking garages that I now use regularly the tailgate will hit the roof unless I remember to hold it down. I haven't forgotten yet, but it's only a matter of time. And even when I do remember, it's a pain to have only one hand available to load stuff.

Peter D
23-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Perhaps a pair of shorter sring stuts will do the job for you. Many have the same fixings but different lenghts for different VAG body shells. However although the strut may be shorter you have to ensure the spring bias will support the weight. Audi UK may be able to help as you may not be the only one with the problem. Regards Peter

alogbe
24-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask Audi.

Peter D
24-04-2008, 09:25 AM
The manufacturer of the strut will be able to assist to get the length and the weight right. Regards Peter

alogbe
25-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks again. I haven't yet identified the manufacturer, but I've spoken to a parts supplier (in the UK) who says that if I send a photograph, and the exact dimensions of the existing struts, he will probably be able to find a shorter replacement.

I don't doubt what he says, but I think I would be unhappy about trying to fit new struts unless I had the manufacturer's assurance that they are adequate. That tailgate looks to me like a seriously heavy article.

It has occurred to me that it might be more sensible to go for a low-tech solution and try to fit some sort of restraining strap to limit the opening height. It would be safer and probably cheaper. I think I've just about convinced myself.