PDA

View Full Version : 90-110 bhp differences

bioboy
01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Can anyone who has driven both tell me the practical difference in power, (Ie. how they drive) between a 90 and 110 TDI passat, golf etc?

Is it easy to convert a 90bhp engine to 110 - someone told me it was simply an issue of a bigger turbo - correct?

Any advice gratefully received

Marc97
02-12-2006, 03:20 AM
Couldn't tell you the difference between a 90hp & 110hp although the difference in power between the 2 is down to the injectors I think.
Cheapest way of getting the power of you 90hp up is to buy a tuning box (£70ish). Said to increase the power of a 90hp to 115hp and torque up to around 290nm.

bioboy
03-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Nice one Marc, thanks for that. Can see a lovely 90bhp passat for sale but worried it might be a bit gutless. Don't mind modifying a bit but don't want to go crazy. Going to change injectors anyway - biodiesel mission...

Marc97
03-12-2006, 09:41 PM
If you change for bigger injectors and go for the tuning box, you could be looking at around 140hp.........nice!

bioboy
05-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Excellent! Do you know if there is a weak link anywhere in the engine or drive train that I would be over-stressing with that much power, or is it all roughly the same as in the later 130's

Marc97
05-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Just the clutch from what I can gather with other members who have tuned their TDi's. Not sure what to recommend to replace it with but maybe someone else on here can.

adamss24
05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Get a 110Hp engine as there is difference between them. Get a newer car as if older the pumps will leak when you switch onto biodiesel. Use a blend as it will lubricate the pump a bit better and as you may know, biodiesel is a powerfull solvent and may eat trough fuel return lines and will disolve most of the rubbers that are fitted along the system. Why you wanna change the nozzles for ? Unless the car you thinking to buy is running on the nozzles it came from the factory or has very high mileage, then i do not see why you may wanna change them. Genuine nozzles are good for over 100k so if its not smokes much when you floor it then why bother ? Hope this helps.

bioboy
07-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks Marc and Adam, very helpful. 110 sounds like the best bet. I am going to fit an Elsbett conversion kit, (www.elsbett.com, www.biomotors.co.uk) which includes nozzles designed to cope with the higher viscosity of BD. Don't know whether these up the flow of fuel yet. Any lines threatened by the solvent effect are replaced.

This means you avoid having a seperate tank to start and purge with. Only possible on a Common rail engine otherwise I would be buying a 2.5 Tdi.....

Think I'll get the biodiesel going then look at tuning it. The most environmentally benificial thing you can do with a car is to make it last 20 years so I want this thing to do at least 250,000 miles.......