PDA

View Full Version : Passat TDI Turbo Problem

richb
01-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Please help. I have a 2001 Passat TDI Sport. Couple of weeks ago it started stuttering, losing power and throwing smoke out the exhaust. Turned out that the air intake pipe had blown off the turbo, had it shoved back on, everything was fine.
This morning it blew off again snapping the circlip holding it on. I got a new clip refitted the pipe, took it for a drive and within 100 yards its blown off again. Can anyone please help???? VW said it sounds like the turbo overboosting but they dont know without looking at it and I want to avoid taking it to a main dealer if I can. I know nothing about turbo's.
I am now stuck at work with a car I cant drive! If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it:1zhelp: :(

Marc97
02-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Maybe your clip just wasn't up to the job?
Try and find a better quality Jubilee clip and tighten it with a small socket then see how it does.

Kocka
03-12-2006, 11:20 PM
It dosent hawe to be turbo. What oil you use?

richb
04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Many thanks for your replies. The clip I bought came from VW and it is a genuine part. I've been told that if the turbo is overboosting and I clamp the pipe on theres nowhere to release the pressure and it could damage the turbo. I know nothing about turbo's so I'm kinda relying the kindness of others here!

Kocka
04-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I am sorry buth I cant help you like this. I shoud see the car, and thake the closer look to turbo, also here the sound. Like this I could tell many things.

Marc97
04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I've worked with many Turbo cars that are putting out 25+ psi boost and the pipes are held on by a jubilee clip no problem!
Your turbo wouldn't be capable of putting out much more (if any) than 15psi so your problem is either a blocked intercooler (if it blows off between the turbo and intercooler) or just plain crappy hose/jubilee clips.

nazjazz
27-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi.
I discovered that I've got similar problem with an air hose. The outlet hose, the high pressure one, that supplies the air from the turbo compressor further, has got a puncture in it the size of 2 fingers. As result the engine goes smoky and when turbo kicks in it sounds like a punctured tyre.

can it cause any further problems? can it damage turbo compressor, intercooler or some computerised electrics?

VW dealer asked me £128 for the hose! can I buy them somewhere else?

p.s. i tried eurocarparts and german & swedish - they don't stock them. nothing on ebay either.

hongkongstuey
28-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I've worked with many Turbo cars that are putting out 25+ psi boost and the pipes are held on by a jubilee clip no problem!
Your turbo wouldn't be capable of putting out much more (if any) than 15psi so your problem is either a blocked intercooler (if it blows off between the turbo and intercooler) or just plain crappy hose/jubilee clips.

petrol cars more likely to pop hoses off if i remember rightly, mines running 2091mbar (30psi) according to vag com test, have no problems with hoses, i have replaced map sensor pipe to inlet with silicone samco hose cos original was split/perished, worked out 13 quid cheaper than vw part. then i got stainless steel jubilee clip about 12mm i think, hadly any ridges round it to cut into pipe, got it from when i worked at perkins an it was what they used for water pump pipes on gas engines, damn strong!! :D

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4271/p0605091831.jpg

nazjazz
28-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Very clever idea. Cheap, simple & looks reliable.
Could you tell me more specifically which kind of hose is that red one fitted with 2 jubilee clips. where can i get this type of hoses?

The hose that has got puncture on my car is a lower one, comes from turbo compressor. See picture. Can it work on it?

thanx

hongkongstuey
29-08-2009, 04:17 PM
got it from samco, off demon tweeks website i think? 53mm inside diameter i think?? but was too long, so had to trim it to fit snugly, if its a straight ish pipe with nothing coming off it then they do pretty much any length i think?? they do angled hoses as well, get pipe off, note down measurements an give them a call