PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive rear door speakers?

brianf
01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
My VW main dealer story relates to the fitting of speakers in the rear doors of my Touran 2.0 TDi DSG and is hot off the presses - the bill received yesterday is an unbelievable €850.87 (£586.80). It's bad enough that they sell a vehicle of this class without rear speakers but their sales literature is misleading in that it tells the prospective buyer that it comes with a four-speaker system as standard. What they don't say is that all four speakers are in the front.
The car went in for its end of warranty check-up last week to deal with any faults that should be rectified before warranty expires on 12th Dec and I thought it would be expedient to have the speakers fitted at the same time.
They only dealt with two of four warranty items that I reported, the most time consuming of which was a modification to the front seats to stop them descending by themselves. All they did was to tighten the adjusting mechanism. I suspect that they are also billing me for that work because the total time listed is 11.31 hours.
Prior to asking the main dealer to fit the speakers, I did ask the importer how much it would cost and they told me about three hours of work plus the parts (double the price of Kenwood speakers) so about €400 in total.
I have sent a registered letter of complaint but you can imagine what this has done for my confidence in dealing with these people in future.

Fourbears
08-12-2006, 11:30 PM
I've just bought a UK S TDi and found the same. I was quoted £458 to fit them by the supplying dealer as they couldn't find one with them in. Needless to say I didn't bother. VW and the dealers are taking the mickey I think. Even my 1995 Vento has rear speakers!

brianf
09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I've just bought a UK S TDi and found the same. I was quoted £458 to fit them by the supplying dealer as they couldn't find one with them in. Needless to say I didn't bother. VW and the dealers are taking the mickey I think. Even my 1995 Vento has rear speakers!
At least you had a quote whereas mine came as a complete surprise after other reasonable quotes. My dealer declined to give a quote but said it would not be too expensive. I was just too trusting and now feel that I'm paying for a job done at a very casual pace. Who would believe 11.31 hours just to install rear door speakers?

Eshrules
29-12-2006, 12:56 PM
sounds like a cash cow to me, id seriously think about reporting them for this...doesnt sound entirely ethical to me

brianf
29-12-2006, 02:38 PM
sounds like a cash cow to me, id seriously think about reporting them for this...doesnt sound entirely ethical to me

I did write to both VW Wolfsburg and the importer.
At long last I am delighted to report that the dealer has seen reason and issued a credit note for 400€. This makes the total installation cost 450.87€ (£310.94). Still expensive by comparison with the ICE dealers but acceptable for a 'properly done' job.

Caddy Van Man
03-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Tell your ******* to suck you sideways and get an independant to do the work!

RickT
05-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Thats a joke.... shows they knew there were at fault as they refunded some of the cash..

Good help you if your car goes in for any proper work!!

RicKT

tourantog
15-08-2007, 12:56 PM
has anyone managed to wok out how to take the inner door skin off to fit the speakers thimselves, I had a look and can not work out how the main plastic moulding is detached.
I thoght if i run the cable and fit the speakers in the door as it would either work and auto detect the speaker conected to the head unit or reduce the bill for the ICE upgrade for the connection to the head unit if they do not auto detect.:confused:

brianf
15-08-2007, 03:58 PM
has anyone managed to wok out how to take the inner door skin off to fit the speakers thimselves, I had a look and can not work out how the main plastic moulding is detached.
I thoght if i run the cable and fit the speakers in the door as it would either work and auto detect the speaker conected to the head unit or reduce the bill for the ICE upgrade for the connection to the head unit if they do not auto detect.:confused:

If you have the standard CAN-Bus and the radio is an RCD 300/500 of MFD2 Nav unit, then the speakers will be automatically detected when they are connected. That then also triggers the Fader control display so that you can adjust the front-back balance.
I don't know about the Sharan but the Touran rear door panels are held in place by two screws underneath and pop-outs up the sides. The top edge is folded over so the panel lifts off once you've removed the screws and pulled the pop-outs away from the door.

tourantog
16-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks, I will try to connect the speakers DIY, I did take out the two screws and had a tentative pry at the securing plastic push in clips, they looked very secure.
I will give it a bit more of a pull with a thin steel pry bar and write back if it pops free.
I was wondering if the door handle needs to come off, I cant see any screws.
:Blush2:

brianf
16-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks, I will try to connect the speakers DIY, I did take out the two screws and had a tentative pry at the securing plastic push in clips, they looked very secure.
I will give it a bit more of a pull with a thin steel pry bar and write back if it pops free.
I was wondering if the door handle needs to come off, I cant see any screws.
:Blush2:
In all probability the door handle stays in place but the facia plate has to be removed. There is usually a screw visible somewhere, possibly behind the handle.
The pop-outs do tend to be very firm and it takes a bit of courage to pull the panel off.

tourantog
18-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I have got the fir tree push conectors out of the door skin and the handle off, just the winder handle to figure out now, hopefully it will not break as it is another puzzle. almost there. - thanks.;)

brianf
18-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I have got the fir tree push conectors out of the door skin and the handle off, just the winder handle to figure out now, hopefully it will not break as it is another puzzle. almost there. - thanks.;)

I have electric windows so I'm not sure about how to remove the winder. There is usually a trick such as placing the winder in a certain position and then releasing a catch behind the pivot point. Sorry I can't confirm that.

tourantog
18-08-2007, 01:09 PM
If anyone is to do a DIY fit of the rear speakers in the touran two tips:
1/ if any of the trim clips are still expanded when you pull off the door inner panel, put them in a close fitting socket and tap with a hammer square on the tip and they do reset for a second use.
2/ if it is a 2005 touran do not buy any keys to push down the side of the head unit, it is held in place by bolts, you need to gently pull on the surrounding trim that is held in place by six steel clips,be careful that trim is not strong.

Next thing is to find wich the connector pins on the unit to connect to, then I am done and hopefully
WIRED for sound (not that it will ever play that tune while i have it)

:biglaugh:

Fourbears
23-08-2007, 10:44 PM
The winders are easy, if you look at them you will see what looks like a spacer between the handle and door. Just push this away from the winder handle (e.g. if the handle is pointed down, the spacer needs to go up) and it will click to allow the handle to come off the splines. It's difficult to explain but once you do it, it makes sense. All VW winders I've come across are like this. Hope this helps!

Fourbears
23-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Oh and the radio surround is a pig to get off. I use an ice scraper to lever it away from the dash as it puts pressure over a greater distance on the trim unlike a screwdriver as the trim clips grip very hard. In fact I found one of the clips broke (about £1.25 from the *******) rather than the trim. Oh and you'll need a T20 Torx screwdriver to remove the radio. When you remove it, do it carefully and slowly as you'll need to make sure you get both rubber wedges from the sides, which help locate it in the dash which you can also get from the ******* if you lose 1 (like I did). Helpfully the radio remembers the code when you plug it back in. If you look on www.clubtouran.net (http://www.clubtouran.net) there are some pics of this. The following may help if I've done it right http://www.clubtouran.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1565