PDA

View Full Version : Transporter 2.5 Tdi Starting problem

clarky202
24-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Hi

I have just purchsed a 2003 2.5 88bhp Tdi, and have got a starting problem, Just given it a full service with new glow plugs, and also checked the the relay with a bulb and made sure that it goes out after approx 20 to 30 seconds so that seems ok, it is almost as if there is no fuel getting to the injectors but she will fire after fairly long ingnition cranks and then run ok, if stopped and started almost straight away it will fire as it should after glow light goes out leave it a minute or so and we are back to square one. I have cracked the injectors and they seem ok, the only thing I have noticed is the clear tube on the fuel filter seems to have a lot of air bubbles going through it is that normal or have I got an air leak in the fuel lines somewhere. Has anybody got some thoughts as this is driving me mad.

Hope you can help
:1zhelp:
Steve

carbon
25-03-2008, 06:12 PM
It does sound like you have an air leak somewhere. The fittings on top of the fuel filter or even the leak off pipes on the injectors may be causing your problem.

clarky202
25-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Cheers for coming back Chris,

leak off pipes look dry but will replace them, I can't see any other damp spots?, will let you know how I get on.

Steve

bmt t4
25-03-2008, 08:33 PM
would be good to know as i also have the same problem

carbon
25-03-2008, 08:42 PM
If you replaced the fuel filter, the fitting with the 'R' clip can sometimes leak. I think the 2.5TDi's have a little 'T' piece near the fuel filter for the leak off pipe to return, has this been damaged?

clarky202
25-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks Chris,

Will try all of that at the weekend only with this problem the van is parked up at storage, will get back to you with outcome.
Thanks again

Steve

clarky202
29-03-2008, 11:18 PM
HI Chris,

Tried all you suggested and also cracked injectors to clear air but to no avail, still takes time to start and can see lots of air in the transparent pipe, have you got any more ideas.

Thanks
Steve

carbon
29-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Was this problem there before the service?

If not is the water drain valve on the bottom of the fuel filter secure and undamaged?

clarky202
30-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi Chris,

When I picked the van up it was low on diesel and needed a jump start it
had been stood for about 4 months, still needed a long time to start but when started ran well, I have changed the filter with new. should there be air in the clear tube?, could the tank air vents have anything to do with this and also is there a fuel pump on the tank?.

Cheers
Steve

carbon
30-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi Steve

There shouldn't be air in the fuel lines as this is what’s causing your starting problem.
It could be a blocked tank vent but I would expect it more likely to be an air leak, possibly where the short sections of rubber hose connect the plastic sections to the filter etc. Check all the fuel hoses for damage. The t4 diesel transporters don’t have a fuel pumps in the tank.

clarky202
30-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Cheers Chris,

Will get on with that today and let you know.

Thanks

Steve

clarky202
07-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Chris,
Thanks for all your help, have changed all the fuel lines and it seems to be ok, there is still a very small amount of air that runs back up the clear tube but she still starts ok. one other thing there seems to be quite a lot of smoke at tick over which smells heavily of diesel is this something to worry about?, I am thinking just unburnt fuel related to the other problem and needs a good run to clear.
Regards
Steve

Uys
31-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Hello Steve,

I'm a South African with the same problem. My car is the 128kW T5 with 190000km. Once started it runs perfectly, no smoke, excellent fuel consumption, still reaches the top speed of 188km/h. But stop for more than two hours and you have to crank the engine for about 30 seconds, then all of a sudden it fires and runs perfectly. The dealers changed the tandem pump and when the problem persisted told me to use Wynn's injector cleaner. So I tried another independent workshop who changed some parts, to no avail. Then another VW dealer took the car in for a week and came to the conclusion that it must be the glow plugs and changed it. No surprise, the problem still persists. My only clue so far is that one night the car was parked on a steep downhill with the nose down and the next morning it started. I will repeat this test tonight. If anybody can help me with this irritating and elusive problem, his name will live on forever in my memory!

Thanks,
Uys
Paarl, South Africa.

clarky202
31-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Uys,

My problem turned out to be the fuel lines and bleed valve on top of the fuel filter, some times when the filter is changed it can damage the valve and I could see air in the clear tubes on the fuel lines when trying to start it. I changed the fuel lines as well which helped.

Hope that helps

Steve

mjg21
09-09-2008, 08:24 PM
sounds like you need to get your dynamic diesel injection pump timing checked, anyone with vag com or similar should be able to do it.

john s smith
24-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi,
I have a 2001 VW T4 2.5TDI rectangular headlights.
The thing refuses to start. It started before the very cold spell just before Christmas then we had some very cold weather down to –10C. I tried to start it but refused the occasional fire and some smoke. I managed to start it by removing the intercooler and removing the valve on top of the rocker cover, then with a hot air gun in the hole started the engine after some time. It ran ok so I started to put the removed items back with the engine running. After about 5 minutes I pressed the pedal to increase engine speed all seemed ok then it stopped and refused to start again. I have replaced the fuel filter and no air leaks or bubbles; cracked open the injector feeds to bleed all ok.
I removed the timing cover for the injection pump to check the timing it looks ok but not sure if the injector pump is on a keyway or a taper fit, so need to know if it is on a keyway or not. I have removed the Air flow meter makes no difference. Putting the heat gun down the square hole leaves the only way I can get a glimmer of life out of it when one removes the intercooler and valve. The valve is ok and the air operated plunger works ok when sucked.

How much of the electronics can be disconnected and still leave the engine to start.

Is it possible that the engine cut off valve is faulty? How does one remove the radiator to get access to the injectors and glow plugs?

Need your help please, cold, damp, wet, cheesed off, fed up, you know the rest.

Yours John S Smith

clarky202
24-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi John,
Have you checked the glow plugs or the relay to see if that is working?. this may account for the bad starting on very cold days, have you dropped the front down ie take the two bolts out at the cross member and lift the rad and member up approx 3 inches this will then fall forward on straps to give you more access to the front.
regards
Steve

ps remove grille before dopping front 5 screws in total

vw workshop
30-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Change the fuel filter T piece and fit with new washers ,make sure you dont "nip" them.Cost about £17.00.As everyone and his dog has said your van isnt going to run on air :-)

heliman
13-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Hello guys ,have same problem and air visible through clear pipe ,did ye find a solution yet ? I have fitted a new o-ring under the blue "R CLIP" and hope fully this will help.Will see over next few days if it improves .Checked glow-plugs and all 5 are good. Difficulty starting but once shes going -not a problem .

heliman
13-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Where can you get new T piece ? Bosch or VW ?

heliman
17-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Any more ideas fellas ?

heliman
01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Any more ideas ,problem still not solved !!

GeorgeOK
09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I had the same problem years ago with my TDi golf.
The white plastic screw thingy at the bottom of the fuel filter wasn't screwed tight on causing an undetected minimal fuel leak
Result: when the engine was stopped for a while the pump had to fill the filter up again.

Any more ideas ,problem still not solved !!

Ptlpip
27-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Uys. Did you solve your problem. I have the same problem