PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Headlights on new A4

Audi Nick
23-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I have ordered a new A4 SE 2.0 TDi (I currently drive an A6) and even though it is costing me over £30k with all the extras (god Audi know how to charge) they still will not let me have the Xenon headlights.

Audi UK are useless and the so call customer service department have never heard of the saying "the customer is always right".

Does anyone know why Audi withdrew the essential bits of kit from the SE line even though at the time you could not order an S line. Not that I want the S line anyway, the suspension is too stiff for me.

I love the lines and look of the new A4 but feel stitched up because I can not get these lights. The trouble is I have a good p/ex deal and the fact that Audi have delayed delivery by a futher 2 weeks only adds to the value of the deal. Gordon Brown has made sure in his budget that I will never own another car as big as the A6 again, which is a shame as I would have bought another because at least I can have Xenon lights with that!

Does nobody at Audi listen to the wishes of its customers?

Bloater
23-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I had a row with Audi UK about the rear parking sensors. Despite having a signed order form, which I thought constituted a contract, they wouldn't budge.

Therefore I am having to upgrade to the plus system, and my cost and losing the compensation they were offering.

Audi like having everything there way, certainly no give and take.

Hopefully I'll get everything else I ordered. Get this, and confirmed by Audi. If the car arrives in the wrong colour, or the wrong body style, its tough, they can change the spec when they want. I put this to Audi UK in the midst of my argument, and they said yes, they can change anything they like, and there's nothing you can do about it.

To me this stinks, so much for a contract being a legally binding document.

:confused:

Audi Nick
24-03-2008, 08:36 AM
I got a phone call last week telling me that there was a 2 week delay (I ordered in early Feb) and I would not now get my car until May. Proud as punch the rep said that the rear sensors had been removed but this would not affect me as I had already ordered the Plus pack.

I agree with your sentiments about the arrogance of Audi. This is my 2nd new Audi and 5th in total with the other 3 being company cars. All I can say is that BMW are just as bad if not worse and I can not bring myself to drive a Merc. I took a test drive in a Lexus, but it really feels like a small car and so I stuck to what I know.

With so many good cars coming on the market including offerings from Ford, I think that Audi need to be a little more receptive to the mood of their customers.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Satch
24-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I have ordered a new A4 SE 2.0 TDi (I currently drive an A6) and even though it is costing me over £30k with all the extras (god Audi know how to charge) they still will not let me have the Xenon headlights.

Audi UK are useless and the so call customer service department have never heard of the saying "the customer is always right".

Does anyone know why Audi withdrew the essential bits of kit from the SE line even though at the time you could not order an S line. Not that I want the S line anyway, the suspension is too stiff for me.

I love the lines and look of the new A4 but feel stitched up because I can not get these lights. The trouble is I have a good p/ex deal and the fact that Audi have delayed delivery by a futher 2 weeks only adds to the value of the deal. Gordon Brown has made sure in his budget that I will never own another car as big as the A6 again, which is a shame as I would have bought another because at least I can have Xenon lights with that!

Does nobody at Audi listen to the wishes of its customers?

I was told that the xenon lights where removed as an option on the SE to give the S line - " product differentiation" :aargh4:

alexcf
24-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Satch, I was told the same, it's the reason I went for the S-line... :/

Foringo
25-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Seems some marketing chap at Audi UK needs to get a D- at his staff review this year...he must have lost Audi a lot of dosh in potential option sales for the xenon pack. A lot of us don't want the S-Line and just want a standard sophisticated saloon rather than the bling version:D...but not offering what Audi markets as a safety aid on a £33k car just doesn't make a lot of sense. :(

Audi Nick
27-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Well would you belive it, I went to the dealer today to see about changing my SE spec for an S Line, if only for the Xenon Headlights.

Would you believe this .....

I can do the change and pay the extra of course, but I would lose the B & O sound system that I have for free with the SE. In simple terms, if I keep the spec I want, the Xenon lights will cost me £3k. Given that I am not at all impressed by the seats and go faster body kit of the S Line, this is a lot of money for a set of headlights!

I have decided to stick to my SE, with all the toys that you could ever want except those damn lights.

If if die I want engraved on my gravestone, "never did get those damn lights".

One question for anyone who reads this:-

"Why is it that I can buy a Ford or Vauxhall for £20k and get Xenon lights, yet I spend £30k on a 'premium brand' car and can not even order it as an extra"? You couldn't make it up, could you?

AUDI-NUT
27-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Well would you belive it, I went to the dealer today to see about changing my SE spec for an S Line, if only for the Xenon Headlights.

Would you believe this .....

I can do the change and pay the extra of course, but I would lose the B & O sound system that I have for free with the SE. In simple terms, if I keep the spec I want, the Xenon lights will cost me £3k. Given that I am not at all impressed by the seats and go faster body kit of the S Line, this is a lot of money for a set of headlights!

I have decided to stick to my SE, with all the toys that you could ever want except those damn lights.

If if die I want engraved on my gravestone, "never did get those damn lights".

One question for anyone who reads this:-

"Why is it that I can buy a Ford or Vauxhall for £20k and get Xenon lights, yet I spend £30k on a 'premium brand' car and can not even order it as an extra"? You couldn't make it up, could you?

Thats crazy - they are just trying to get rid of the SE, the S-Line is flying off the shelf as that say so they effectively withdraw the B&O system to throw you from going for the S-Line (longer waiting list etc). I have ordered the S-Line and got the B&O system free and I have never ordered an Audi in my life.

You just have to fight harder for the B&O system and stop kidding yourself you dont like the body kit etc, what is there not to like.

Be tougher with your dealer. tell him what you want and theaten to cancel your order and go with a dealer that is more flexible.

If you dont for the lights, you will regret it, you know that.

Satch
27-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know if these lights could be retro fitted later.
I know that a few people are getting the SE with Xenons because they placed their order before Audi withdrew them so they obviously fit.

I reckon you could buy a set of Xenon DRL's as parts and get then fitted.

Audi Nick
27-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks Audi Nut, but I have threatened to withdraw my order but to no avail. My problem is that my A6 has done 55k miles and will have gone over the mystical 60k by the time it is traded in. I did get a reasonable deal on the trade in and looking at second hand car values, an A6 2.7 Tdi auto is not the most attractive car in the range.

I did see another dealer last week and they could not match let alone beat the deal that I had been offered and so I think I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot. If I had a poor p/x then perhaps the current dealer may have been more willing to compromise.

£3k is a lot of money for lights and I genuinly do not care for the skirts etc that go with the S line. That is not to say they are bad, its just that it is not to my taste. So, looks like I will have to live without the damn lights for a couple of years.

As for the guy who suggested a retro fit, that is not possible. I will not bore anyone with the reasons why, but genuine Xenons are currently not a viable retro fit and are unlikely to be in the forseeable future. Those 'xenon' bulbs you buy are like buying a fake watch, they look nice but don't deliver.

Satch
27-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks Audi Nut, but I have threatened to withdraw my order but to no avail. My problem is that my A6 has done 55k miles and will have gone over the mystical 60k by the time it is traded in. I did get a reasonable deal on the trade in and looking at second hand car values, an A6 2.7 Tdi auto is not the most attractive car in the range.

I did see another dealer last week and they could not match let alone beat the deal that I had been offered and so I think I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot. If I had a poor p/x then perhaps the current dealer may have been more willing to compromise.

£3k is a lot of money for lights and I genuinly do not care for the skirts etc that go with the S line. That is not to say they are bad, its just that it is not to my taste. So, looks like I will have to live without the damn lights for a couple of years.

As for the guy who suggested a retro fit, that is not possible. I will not bore anyone with the reasons why, but genuine Xenons are currently not a viable retro fit and are unlikely to be in the forseeable future. Those 'xenon' bulbs you buy are like buying a fake watch, they look nice but don't deliver.

Audi Nut, please do bore me about the reasons why genuine xenons are not a viable retro fit, I would love to here.

browellm
27-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Theoretically, anything is retrofittable, but I bet adding Xenons would be a nasty nasty job (read: expensive).

Two pre-requisites are:

1. Self levelling system based on the car's load. I imagine that in itself would be a massive job.

2. Headlamp wash system. Loads of wiring and the like I expect (you can tell I know lots about cars :D)

Foringo
27-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree that it's a question of taste. I can understand why some people are going for the S-Line and I probably would have done the same in my early twenties but frankly I would now be slightly embarrassed to drive this version with all it's S-Line motifs and embossed seats ...not as bad as a 'Kevin and Tracey' sunshade but it has the same appeal to me. What I like most about Audis generally is the restrained classy look.....presumably that's why they offer de-badging if you want it, also you can spec a car as you wish with the many options except the Xenons (& lowered suspension & many would avoid that like the plague in order to go for the superior ride). It just seems that Audi are missing the point. Most manufacturers offer Xenons and the headlights on many of their cars...it's not a sport option and many are more sophisticated to those on the A4 (even the active version) offering variable focus and fixed corning lights. Perhaps Audi will develop a new headlight for the face lift version in a few years time and catch-up with the competition! In the meantime the SE is my A4 of choice even if it only comes with halogens!

Satch
27-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Theoretically, anything is retrofittable, but I bet adding Xenons would be a nasty nasty job (read: expensive).

Two pre-requisites are:

1. Self levelling system based on the car's load. I imagine that in itself would be a massive job.

2. Headlamp wash system. Loads of wiring and the like I expect (you can tell I know lots about cars :D)

What you really mean is too much bloody hassle.:D

Foringo
27-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I thought the self leveling unit was integral with each headlight unit and controlled by microprocessor....except for cars with self leveling suspension. The active units would be more complicated & costly. Actually fitting the headlight should be fairly straightforward for people with a reasonable technical knowledge...assuming that you can get the parts as it is probably not much more than an assembly job. Washer bottle may need to be changed for different type. Biggest issue for most would be fitting the headlight washer jets which presumably would require some cutting of the front bumper as I can't see any blanks...not for the light hearted.:rolleyes: