PDA

View Full Version : Wind Noise

Astonm
23-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm getting lots of wind noise around the B pillar, as my seat is quite away from the steering wheel this means the noise is right in my right ear. Has anyone had this problems and if so any suggestions on sorting it?

"55" 2.0TDi Sport

Thanks

aaman
23-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm getting lots of wind noise around the B pillar, as my seat is quite away from the steering wheel this means the noise is right in my right ear. Has anyone had this problems and if so any suggestions on sorting it?

"55" 2.0TDi Sport

Thanks

i also got a lot of outside noise coming in to the interior i have a 55 plate se 2.0tdi. i had a loaner 07 plate and a 57 plate passat 2.0tdi both was quiet. there must be more or better sound proofing i dont know how to find out :confused:

STEWY L
23-03-2008, 11:41 PM
try rubbing some vasaline thickly around door rubbers?

aaman
24-03-2008, 12:12 AM
try rubbing some vasaline thickly around door rubbers?

wot will this do putting vasaline on the seals . has there been a new designed thicker door rubber seals ?

STEWY L
24-03-2008, 12:18 AM
wot will this do putting vasaline on the seals . has there been a new designed thicker door rubber seals ?
only a suggestion to help you find the problem. it works perfectly well on leaking sunroofs,thought it may cut the noise down for you.
only other thing i can suggest is the dealer:confused:

aaman
24-03-2008, 12:27 AM
only a suggestion to help you find the problem. it works perfectly well on leaking sunroofs,thought it may cut the noise down for you.
only other thing i can suggest is the dealer:confused:

thanks i will try it :beerchug:

STEWY L
24-03-2008, 12:44 AM
perhaps try altering the door latch strikers to pull the door in a bit more?

Astonm
24-03-2008, 02:13 PM
What are the door latch strikers and how do you adjust those?

STEWY L
24-03-2008, 02:26 PM
open the door and on the pillar you will see either a metal "loop" bolted on with two torqx screws, or a single stud sticking out where the door latch hooks onto when closed.
loosen these off very slightly and tap them in towards the inside of the car a little. retighten
and close the door. it should pull the door up on to the seals a bit more.

Astonm
24-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I'll give it a go thanks

Astonm
24-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Well I've had a look and i don't have the star shape tools required to adjust the latch so i'll sort a set out in the week.

In the mean time if VW have changed or up graded the sound proofing how can I find out what they have changed and can it be added to my car?

Anyone any ideas?

luckda
25-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't think there are new updated seals as I have just got a new 08 plate. This also has a whistling noise at the B pillar next to the passengers ear. Not loud but very annoying. Its got to go back to the dealers for an airbag warning light so will get them to look at this at the same time

Quatrelle
25-03-2008, 12:38 PM
........Its got to go back to the dealers for an airbag warning light............Welcome to the club. Mine went back three times for this, and after hard wiring under the passenger seat (not sure how that applies in the UK), they eventually replaced a side airbag. The light usually came on when something 'happened' in the car - passenger getting out of seat, boot lid being shut etc. Mine's ok, at the moment.....

luckda
25-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the club. Mine went back three times for this, and after hard wiring under the passenger seat (not sure how that applies in the UK), they eventually replaced a side airbag. The light usually came on when something 'happened' in the car - passenger getting out of seat, boot lid being shut etc. Mine's ok, at the moment.....

Oh dear that doesn't sound good. Would you know if in these circumstances none of the airbags would work in case of an accident or is the whole system deactivated. |I wouldn't want my wife using the car in those circumstances

Black
25-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Dont mess about with the striker pins, I did that on my MkIV Golf and although it solved the noise the realigned door ended up rubbing away the paintwork at the lower edge of the seal.

luckda
29-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Car went into the garage yesterday for the wind noise and airbag warning light. Airbag issue is fixed now but even after refitting the door there is still wind noise around the passenger B pillar (driver side is fine) Dealer advises this is a known problem and they are waiting for VW to advise them on a solution.
Anyone know about this and/or any solutions that have been successful from other dealers?

Astonm
30-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Mine turned out to be a warped trim which they replaced and this did solve the wind noise.

I still have a little noise but only with a side wind but its not often so I've decided to leave it as it is because I could make things worse if I move it again

gooner
30-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi, my car had the same wind problem on the passenger side.
Door was re-aligned with the back door and this cured the problem .
Hope this helps.

Quatrelle
30-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Before you wash it the next time, check the shuts where the seals sit and see if the dirt/dust follows the line of the seals (works best on a dark colour). Any gaps or irregularities could mean that things aren't meeting properly.

I've sprayed all my seals with a dedicated rubber preservative to make sure they sit in place.