PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to concert radio cassette

Mike Allen
01-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Hi,
I am having major problems with my concert radio cassette. I recently purchased a refurbed unit from Audi (£235) and that lasted just an hour, before problems started. They are exchanging it for yet another unit, but if that fails as well, then i will reluctantly give up on the Audi range of players.

So my question is, does anyone know of a suitable alternative ? Also will a normal player just plug straight in ?, i noticed that there seemed a lot more plugs in the back than the normal two. And finally are the Bose speakers compatible with a normal stereo?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Regards Mike.

adamss24
01-12-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi, to conect a aftermarket stereo to the bose amplified system you will need a specific interface made by Autoleads and a set of adaptors that will bring the opening to standard DIN size. Do a search on ebay and you may be able to get them for 30-40 pounds, failing that, your local Halfords store may be able to order you one but it takes about 2 weeks as Autoleads dont keep them in stock ! Fitting is just a matter of unplugging the audi one, plug the interface in between using the original DIN conectors and plug the interface to the amp conectors.The conectors are color coded and wont go the wrong way. Also you will need to conect the blue/white remote turn on lead so the interface turns on when the ignition on and pay attention to the power wires(+12v) as when i conected mine the stereo would not keep the settings when the key was removed. Had to check the wiring with a multimeter and found that swapping the switched yellow(+12) with the red(+12) was what needed. Use a multimeter to check. Also, if you have a factory cd player, it wont work after with the bose interface but you will love the volume gain. Dont crank it too high, though. Hope this helps.

Mike Allen
02-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply, I think i am going to keep my fingers crossed that the replacement unit is ok (3rd time lucky and all that).

Failing that i will take your advice, and go for the autoleads solution. I was thinking of replacing the speakers as well, but your suggestion will avoid that, so thanks once again.

regards Mike.

gazza57
04-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Mike Allen,
Is your concert radio playing up from a volume viewpoint?
The unit is of good quality and is manufactured by Blaupunkt, the problem lies with faulty software.
You can get other units but buying from an Audi outlet merely gives you far less for your hard earned money.
Regards
gazza57

Mike Allen
04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi Gazza,

Yes it is the volume problem with the original unit. Then i bought a replacement unit, which worked for an hour or so, then the lights went out and i was unable to turn it off. so the original unit was fitted back in (complete with volume problem), and i am waiting for yet another replacement ----- This will be the last one, if it doesnt work, its money back time.

I like the reply above from Adam, as it gives the most options. Although i would like to keep the original type radio as it suits the car better than most aftermarket type replacements.

If you know of any better solutions i would be grateful for the info.

Regards Mike.