PDA

View Full Version : In car noise in new Golf 1.6 FSI

mk4ever
30-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone can help me

My mother recently bought a new Golf 1.6 FSI from a dealership in Cambridge. Soon after she started experiencing in car noises, vibrations and clicking etc. I had a drive in it, and I could definitely hear them. I'm an mk4 driver and previous to buying the mk5 my mother owned an mk4, so we know what golf’s sound like. So I decided to persuaded my mother to take it back, she didn't want to be fobbed off for being a woman so I went with her. This is where the problems started.

We took the car in, and told them of our issues with the car. 2 days later the car was returned, and a voice mail message left saying they too could hear the noises but VW advised that it should be "bedded in". I thought this was rubbish advice and service, and told them so in a letter.

A little while later the Service Manager phoned, and asked if we would bring the car back in, so he could personally drive it. So we took the car back in. An engineer came out with us for a test drive, and after a while admitted that he could hear the noises, but said that he thinks it's the fact that it's a FSI?? Ok we thought, but at his suggestion we took out a pool car. Yes it sounded similar, but it didn't have the odd clicking that my mum’s car has. We informed the engineer of this, and around 10 mins later the Service Manager came out and informed us that are car was "perfect" and all FSI's make these noises.

I insisted that he and I went out in the car, where he proceeded to ask me "So WHAT can you hear then all very frustrating!!! So I asked him to respond to me in writing, to which he responded "V***** don't write letters" great customer service!! Next day, phoned up VW UK who to be fair were very sympathetic, and asked us to get a second opinion.

First we took the car to an independent garage, where an ex-dealership engineer works for him to look at it. He instantly said it doesn't sound right, and diagnosed the noise. One he thought was coming from the heat shield above the exhaust pipe.

Then we took it to Stowmarket VW. Their engineer also admitted fairly early on that he could hear "stuff", and diagnosed a clicking type noise coming from rear of the car and wind noise coming from the driver’s side window. We also test droved a 3mile old FSI which sounded even more like a diesel then are car, but didn't have our noises.

So went back to VW UK, and asked them how come one dealership thought our car was perfect, and another finds two faults. There response was now less than sympathetic and said they would file the complaint and the issue was now with the dealership. I asked them should we now take it back to the dealership which we have no confidence in telling us the truth or driving it all the way out to Stowmarket. There response was the issue is with dealership!!

1. Is it normal for when slightly touching the accelerator when stationary to get vibrations through your car seat?? Is this a characteristic of all FSI's???
2. Has anyone else had odd noises coming from various places inside a new golf
3. Has anyone else had problems with poor service from dealership with issues like these
4. Where else do you go after VW UK tells you it's between you and the dealership?

Sorry for boring you lot, but if anyone could give me advice it would be appreciated.

Cheers.