PDA

View Full Version : A4 Radio Aerial Location Bad Reception

daveA4
30-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi
Just Bought a 2002 A4 and the radio reception on FM is shocking think there must be a break in the cable or a problem with the aerial. Had the stereo out and the aerial is connected to the back of the stereo but don't know were the cable goes and where the aerial is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Dave

onzarob
30-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Not sure were the aerial cable goes but the eriel is located in the rear window heating element, if top couple line don't clear the window they are the aerial.

I assume you can see an external one?

Rob :D

JR001
30-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Hiya,
there is also the aerial amplifier at the top of the rear window. It is hidden under a bit of roof trim at the top of the window. Prise off the roof trim at that point, it is easy to do. The amp is a black rectangular bit of electronics board. Best of luck in finding the problem, I've tried it once and found that putting some hand pressure on the amplifier improved reception while in my driveway. The amp seems to be stuck on to the window aerial connection and I'm wondering if it needs to be re-stuck in some way to improve the contact. Maybe some duck tape could do the trick. But it's too wet and windy out there!!!!!!!!!

Let's know how you get on.

JOHN

tony_anon
30-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I have a similar problem in that I get a crackling sound as though the FM is not tuned properly which of course must be cos its found the best freq for a particular station. It dosen't seem to be as bad as yours in terms of really bad. In my separate post I mentioned that after having the car jetwashed, its possible that some water has got under the roof trim at the top of the rear window especially if the jet was directed upwards! Could it be that your amp has got damp somehow? I guess with time it should get better as it dries out.

I have 2 vertical lines in the rear window which is the aerial itself.

Cheers.

daveA4
01-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Cheers for the help got the trim off but not sure if the aerial amp is there, there is a black box with three wires going in but it looks like theres a space for another part next to that black box any more help would be great.

Dave

wallya4
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm having similar problems in my A4, but it started all at once about 2 weeks ago. My FM reception is fuzzy at times regardless of what station is selected, and the reception goes completely away in tunnels. The AM reception is also noticably worse, but not as bad as the FM. I live in a really dry climate, so water is probably not the problem(?). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jas777
21-08-2007, 11:14 AM
My 2003 A4 Cab has a similar problem - no reception at all on FM and V. poor on AM. The CD works fine though.

I can't see any obvious sign of an aerial on the rear windscreen - I fear another £700 trip to audi dealer is coming up unless someone out there can help??? It must be a common reoccurring problem.

nickynibbles
21-08-2007, 01:42 PM
This is a very common problem in all cars that use the rear screen element as the antenna, its not just an Audi fault! Its normally down to dodgy contacts so best bet it to track the connections on the rear screen & give them a clean, this includes the aerial amp connections. Basically, anything connected to your rear screen, give it a clean!

Jas777, your cabriolet however dosent use a rear screen antenna, there are a couple (2 I think) of antenna's in the boot lid which will need the boot lid lining removed to get at. Again, clean the contacts up & see if that improves things.

jas777
11-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Here's the solution to the problem with my A4 Cab - take it to West London Audi and they will fix it for a measley ...... wait for it........£590!!!!!
It need a new loom in the boot.

DAB radio here we come - they can stick their new loom where the sun doesn't shine!:mad::zx11::aargh4:

jas777
12-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Good news!! I got onto Audi customer service and they are going to pay 100% of the cost including labour! - This is at the same time that I was moaning about the car juddering due to a known gearbox issue with 2.5 diesels and the Multitronic box (£1800+ problem) They want £260 to fix them both. If in doubt winge at Audi!!

nickynibbles
12-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Excellent news, Audi dont always cave in so easily but no harm in trying!!

iluvmyaudi
17-09-2007, 09:55 PM
hi, i also have the same problem. thanks for the advice, i will wait till the weekend and try cleaning up the connections.

Moltisanti
18-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm having the same problem on my 52 A4, Radio 1 and 2 are ok but everything else is pants, i'll check the back window tomorrow

cab24
21-01-2008, 04:53 PM
I have the same problem with my 2003 A4 cabriolet. It is intermittent though, seems worse when the roof storage box is up. My local dealer suggested that there could be a break in the wire close to where the wire enters the boot lid through the left hand side, sound likley since the when it does work it is fine - (i.e. not a problem with the ariel or amplifiers) . His suggestion was to replace the wire between bootlid and head unit - sounds expensive!

nickynibbles
22-01-2008, 12:20 PM
This is another common enough problem with the cabriolets, the dealer is correct with the solution of just running a new aerial wire from the head unit. It can be expensive if you go to a dealer but any competent auto-electrician would be able to do this for you if your not inclined to do it yourself, and they'd be a lot cheaper than an Audi dealer!! If your going to do it yourself you'll just need some co-axial wire, check the connections to your aerials/aerial amp to see what sort you'd need, or just check the yellow pages under auto-electrician!!

nite
24-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I have this problem, will look at the rear window and see what I can find to clean.

crafton
25-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Good news!! I got onto Audi customer service and they are going to pay 100% of the cost including labour! - This is at the same time that I was moaning about the car juddering due to a known gearbox issue with 2.5 diesels and the Multitronic box (£1800+ problem) They want £260 to fix them both. If in doubt winge at Audi!!

I have the same problem. dealer wants £450+ to fit new loom. How old was you car when Audi customer service agrred to do the job?