PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil Nightmare

dpm84
22-03-2008, 07:51 PM
For any advice thanks in advance

Ive just brought a 2005 2.0 tfsi which i have had to have the RAC look at twice in two days. On day one i had two ignition coils replaced and also a fuse under the ecu and everything seemed peachy on day two i went to start the car and nothing.... the fuse had gone again on fuse replacement i could here misfiring again obviously another coil. Does anyone know what might be causing this im wondering wether audi may have steam cleaned it before delivery and got it into the coil housing. Am i likely to have this problem ongoing???

Please Help!!!

STEWY L
22-03-2008, 08:10 PM
For any advice thanks in advance

Ive just brought a 2005 2.0 tfsi which i have had to have the RAC look at twice in two days. On day one i had two ignition coils replaced and also a fuse under the ecu and everything seemed peachy on day two i went to start the car and nothing.... the fuse had gone again on fuse replacement i could here misfiring again obviously another coil. Does anyone know what might be causing this im wondering wether audi may have steam cleaned it before delivery and got it into the coil housing. Am i likely to have this problem ongoing???

Please Help!!!
why bother the rac?
take it back if you've just bought it:confused:

dpm84
22-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Because the garage wanted me to use Audi assitance to get it fixed which in turn was through the RAC.

The car is now back at the first garage but im worried when i get it back this is going to keep happening.

STEWY L
22-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Because the garage wanted me to use Audi assitance to get it fixed which in turn was through the RAC.

The car is now back at the first garage but im worried when i get it back this is going to keep happening.
keep taking it back until you are sure it's fit for use.
the law is on your side,believe it or not.

PHSSLL
27-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi i have a 18t quattro A4 2004 and last friday during a routine 2 mile journey to the shops i experienced my 1st ignition coil failure it was late at night so i managed to limp home as it was only 1 mile from where it failed to home i just thought it was a fuel blockage or something and waited till saturday morning to see if it would clear itself.
Well it didn't so we rang RAC and they came out put the laptop on and diagnosed no2 coil had failed so they then replaced it with a "genuin V.A.G" part tested it and reset the light and left.
we put it into the garage until sunday as we did not need to travel anywhere so sunday morning and we had a couple of family members to visit and after just 1/2 mile the light came back on indicating the same problem but seemed to be running ok so continued on our journey a further 1 mile and it went again so parjked up and contacted the RAC a hour later they turned up and diagnosed that ignition coil no3 had now failed :aargh4: how unlucky is that so they again replaced it with a genuine part tested and reset but the light did come back on but was running ok and they just advised us it was unburnt fuel in the cat and once it has burned off it will be fine just do a few trips and it will be fine :( any way after a couple of days running around car running ok but the light persisted in staying on we decided to book it into our normal audi dealer for a diagnostic check as my wife who is the primary user of the car had lost her confidence with it so we needed to have it sorted once and for all :mad:

well adi hook it upto the diagnostic machine and run the checks it turns out that both the ignition coils we had fitted by the RAC are faulty and are not genuine VAG parts as we had been told and that they recommend having all 4 ignition coils replaced at a cost of £25+VAT EACH the non genuin ones from the RAC were £37.50 inclusive of VAT .

Ok we say and they fit the required parts and reset the light etc and all is well the car is noticeably running much better than it was prior to it going into AUDI smooth and responsive

4 coils £25 +VAT
1 clip broken £4 +VAT
labout £100 +VAT
TOTAL £239 :zx11:

On arriving home we decided to contact the RAC and they surprisingly were very apologetic and asked us to send copies of the report indicating the faulty ignition coils along with the faulty coils and invoices that we were given from the RAC driver after he fitted the coils and if on arrival we have grounds for a refund they will refund for the faulty items along with postage incured for sending them back !

If you have a similar problem do not take it as gospel that the RAC have either fixed the problem or know what thay are talking about on both these counts they failed us. I can only speak from my experience that audi gave us the service you expect and pay for and will now only ever use the RAC as a means of recovery and all future work will be carried out by AUDI technicians only

:beerchug:

dpm84
28-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Finally, someone in the same boat!!

During my experience (which i am lucky to say i made audi paid for) to get the car running i have had to have 6 new coils, 2 of which were fitted by the RAC but were the wrong ones for that engine, four new spark plugs, and 5 fuses under the ECU have had to be replaced.

Audi now claim the fault has all been generated by an over zealous valeter steam cleaning the engine bay, typical.

PHSSLL
04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Chq recieved in the post this morning from the RAC for parts that they fitted along with postage costs incured sending parts back also a apology for the inconvenience that was caused !

alls well that ends well