PDA

View Full Version : Back to Black and other Black cleaners

kimandsally
22-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi I could do with some advice please, I have a VW Sharan 2005 on which the Black trim is looking not Black or shiney, I've washed the car many times with no improvement then I tried Simoniz Back to Black spray with poor results, so I tried Car Plan Black trim wax, this gave much better results the rubbers etc are way better but there's a black plastic strip at the top of the bonnet below the windscreen wipers and it just seems to keep taking more of the wax but it still is looking not Black enough.

Is there something I'm missing or am I doing something wrong, are the things I'm using OK to do the job?

Please help.

kimandsally
23-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Learned a big lesson I applied loads to try and soak it into the fading plastic trims and wiped it off thought it was OK, then this morning I went out tto the car and it had rained and the nasty stuff has run all over looks like I sprayed the car with shoe polish:zx11:

ini
23-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I used to use a lot of 'back to black' (silicone spray), right up until i became allergic to it (and WD40).

You get better longer lasting results with some of the gel 'wetting' agents.

I now use 'Armor Guard' rubber protector spray on just about all rubber, plastic and PVC car parts.

The alternative is to use a vinyl dye (Halfords etc), to make your bumpers look like new again.

kimandsally
23-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Thank you I'll get some and give it a try, has to be better than the stuff I'm using.:D

lambic
24-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi,

I remember watching some car program a while ago & a professional car repairer suggested using smooth peanut butter!! Apparently, the oil in it works wonders on restoring black plastic trim, and its cheap.
Never tried it myself though ...

H0mesy
13-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Tried the peanut butter trick but now I can't get rid of the bloody pigeons.:biglaugh:

Dangerousmouse
13-05-2008, 10:22 PM
paint the trim, never worry about it again! ;)

RickT
15-05-2008, 04:31 PM
One thing that i used to use on an old car was Auto Gylm Bummper Gel... this also left a nice black shine on any parts..

Rick

StuPDi
15-05-2008, 05:10 PM
VINEGAR :)
cleans anything!!!!!!

once its clean, you can start to refresh it, bit like clay-barring the paint before polishing.

i use armour-all, halfords about £5

the other thing to use is "wet-look" tyre spray,instant shiny result but be aware it's oil based so will really attract the dust and dirt making it worse in the long run

Stu

Col
15-05-2008, 05:18 PM
One thing that i used to use on an old car was Auto Gylm Bummper Gel... this also left a nice black shine on any parts..

Rick

I've tried all sorts and agree this is the best.

(if it is the green snot like stuff Rick?)

Paul Jay
21-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Best stuff I've ever used is called Black Wow! A tiny bottle of this stuff costs nearly 20 quid, but it lasts ages and beads like wax.

Got mine from www.detailedobsession.co.uk (http://www.detailedobsession.co.uk) who give a description of every product and how to use it.

Spent a lot of money with them!:D

Ska
24-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Another vote for AG bumper care (the green snotty stuff as mentioned before), but first you'll have to clean off the other crap you've put on there before. Then work in the AG BC using a small microfibre cloth or similar; this stuff with not run even if it rains straight after and lasts.

belfastmark
24-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi there,
I use a silicon based tyre dressing soloution on a microfibre cloth.
If you overlap onto the paintwork it is easaly wiped of.
Or what I used to do was use Auto GLym vinyl and rubber care.
See how you go !

Mark

RedCorradovr6
16-10-2008, 09:41 PM
look up back for good its fantastic. restored my Corrado's plastic...and it lasts for ever :biglaugh:

Eshrules
16-10-2008, 09:47 PM
go to bromoco and look up back for good its fantastic. restored my Corrado's plastic...and it lasts for ever :biglaugh:

This thread is nearly 5 months old lol, you sure do like bromoco.... have you had much experience with them?

RedCorradovr6
16-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I have been looking for years ...and now I have found somthing that actually works I just wanted to share it ....thats all

Sam
17-10-2008, 09:20 AM
I have been looking for years ...and now I have found somthing that actually works I just wanted to share it ....thats all

You have to admit, 5 posts and all to promote that website, it's a little, shall we say, suspect.

Welcome to VWAF all the same.

Head over to the Newbie section and introduce yourself, where you're from, what you drive etc.

:beerchug: