PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Fumes inside A4 1.8T when....

tyzzah
30-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi,

When the heater/blower is switched on I have recently noticed what appears to be pertol fumes inside the car (1998 130k'er): would anyone have a diagram showing flow path of air entering the blower/heater unit?
I find it hard to imagine that the intake ducting would allow the intake-air to become contaminated-unless there are a lot of fumes escaping in the engine bay? [There is no evidence of a petrol leak from the car]

Is there any way that the turbocharger could be contributing to this; I persume there is some type of valve arrangement to shut the turbocharger off untill adequate boost pressure is achieved, perhaps a dodgy seal around the unit could be the problem?

I have asked for a copy of the Hanes manual for xmas...but might this be too late...:D

Cheers,
Ty.

Boardboy
02-12-2006, 12:35 AM
I had a problem on my MKII Golf where I could smell fuel inside the car on start up. I had a fuel weep where the fuel line joined the fuel injector rail. I couldn't find it for sometime, a little fuel smells a hell of alot. Have another good look around all the fuel lines and components.
Regards Boardboy

shagster
03-12-2006, 03:56 AM
Boardboy
I see you helped ty with his problem, I was wondering if you could give your advice to a Audi a4 1.8T sport? I have a kangarooing effect whenever I take my foot off the accelerator to change gear (up or down) it seems the engine shuts off and kicks in again. and my revs needle keeps going up and down slightly (not quite to stalling mode just yet),when idle. I have changed the air flow mass meter,cat,and Turbo but nothing changed.

JayB5UK
06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Boardboy
I see you helped ty with his problem, I was wondering if you could give your advice to a Audi a4 1.8T sport? I have a kangarooing effect whenever I take my foot off the accelerator to change gear (up or down) it seems the engine shuts off and kicks in again. and my revs needle keeps going up and down slightly (not quite to stalling mode just yet),when idle. I have changed the air flow mass meter,cat,and Turbo but nothing changed.

Mine kangaroos at low speeds when you try and drive easy, it is easily solved by spraying a load of carb cleaner spray up into the throttle body and butterfly, push the flap by hand inside and get loads up and around it as it's DBW I assume. Hope this helps. Had to do this twice in the year i've owned it, first time to cure prob 6 years worth of crap and once at the weekend as my mate didn't do it thoroughly enough before.

avantiblue
08-12-2006, 12:51 PM
i have also noticed in the last week, that the car is smelling of petrol fumes, did tyzzah manage to find out what it was, as we both have the same cars and similar mileages, any help would be much appreciated.