PDA

View Full Version : Beetle 1.9TDI cutting out

engineer
22-03-2008, 02:52 PM
My 2003 beetle 1.9Tdi 100 (60k miles) has developed a problem of the engine cutting out. Whilst driving along the engine cuts out and stops. Repeated cranking of the engine eventually starts the engine. During trying to start the car there is no smoke from the exhaust and when the car starts there is no smoke either. Sometimes the car runs great untill the same thing wil happen again. I have changed the fuel filter, relay 109 (cracker) but still have the same problem. Occasionally it will start but cut out if reved above 1500 rpm. Has anybody had this problem?

kenney
22-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi Have you had a fault code read?

engineer
22-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi Have you had a fault code read?
Hi Kenney. Thanks for the reply. Yes I have, but there is no fault showing on the diagnostics.

kenney
22-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi It would seem yo have a fuel problem and this wil not show up as a fault code,what is the engine code?

dooley
22-03-2008, 06:29 PM
crankshaft possition sensor is the answer, they mostley fail when hot, as the sensor fault gets worse then the lower the temp is at which it will fail, also the higher you rev it the more pulses it has to send,so its working harder and will fail again,and to tie it all in, you say no fault code, its the only thing that doesnt leave a fault code in the ecu as it thinks youve just stalled it.engine block temperature is the key,if we recover a vehicle with this fault, light load is the key,gently bentley all the way back to the garage.

engineer
17-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Problem was caused by fuel relay 167 that was operating intermittently, this was removing 12v supply to fuel pump. Thanks to Gavin RAC Anglesey sorted now