PDA

View Full Version : To me personally ....Size always matters.

energize
21-03-2008, 10:21 PM
with regards to my last post :-

I may have to change my 1997 passat saloon.

Ideally I want the estate 02 reg or above approx 100,000 miles 130 BHP
i think 5k should get me one but if there are any significant problems as to go newer or older because of engine or gearbox problems.

I also need to consider the octavia estate but which is more roomy ??

octavia estate or passat estate or audi A4 estate there must be a pecking order.

Post them here please.

greg123
25-03-2008, 10:52 PM
There is. First off the Passat and A4 are a different platform, with a north south engine and transaxle. They have quite different and more complex front suspension.

The long shot of this is that they feel slightly 'wolly' and not that direct around the straight ahead and don't give quite as keen and responsive a drive as the Golf/Octavia platform. They may be slightly smoother ride but that's pretty hard to define. I have just this week driven a Superb (Skoda luxury Passat) and an Audi A6 and recently a Passat and an A4. All drive very similar and don't have the directness, feedback and sharpness of a good Octavia platform. Also they do less mpg/performance than the golf/octavia platform, partly due to having to turn the drive through 90 degrees which wastes some energy.

Space wise, the A4 is pretty poor being a bit of an 'avant' eg not a proper estate shape, it has less roomo than the Octavia. The Passat is a touch larger than the Octavia but little in it - the biggest difference is in the boot.

The Octavia has a HUGE boot, with underfloor and side storage. The Passat's boot is a touch squarer in the back but overall it's smaller and less useful. The Passat has a touch more rear legroom but this is only a point if you regularly have large adults in the back.

Add in the fact that the Octavia is made in a newer factory and has a lower failure rate than the Audi or VW and that it's lighter than either the Passat or A4 and most efficient (mpg/performance) I think you can see which one I would go for.

Did I mention I have an Octavia Estate? 02 reg L&K full leather 1.8T auto soon for sale if interested lol.

PS don't worry if you get a 110bhp Octy, the 130 came in later, the 110 is a great motor and if you want more can be boosted well past 130 levels no problem and delivers better mpg.

Greg.