PDA

View Full Version : cold start linked with coolant temp sensor????

tony19
21-03-2008, 08:17 PM
i got a bit of a problem with the car to start when is cold.
the glow plugs light off in a sec when i turn the ignition on.
i changed the glow plug relay but its still the same.
someone suggested to unplugg the coolant temp sensor.
when i tried that the the golw plug light stayed on for almost 10sec and the car started properly.
is there a problem with the sensor or with the sensor plug?:confused:

chris.fulton
22-03-2008, 06:58 PM
More than likely it's a faulty sensor and I would change it if I were you. They're not an expensive part and easy enough to change anyway

tony19
26-03-2008, 07:11 PM
More than likely it's a faulty sensor and I would change it if I were you. They're not an expensive part and easy enough to change anyway
thanks mate.
i dissconected the coolant sensor and the glow plug light staqyed on for 10sec then the car started properly.
so i think it is the sensor. will change it tomorrow and will keep updated.

Kris214
26-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Similar problem on my golf but Ive disconnected the coolant sensor and the heater ligh stays on for 10secs but after it goes out its still really hard to start. With the coolant sensor plugged in the heater light is out in a second but car will not start. There doesn't appear to be power going to the glowplugs. Where is the glow plug relay located until I change that?

Kris.

tony19
26-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Similar problem on my golf but Ive disconnected the coolant sensor and the heater ligh stays on for 10secs but after it goes out its still really hard to start. With the coolant sensor plugged in the heater light is out in a second but car will not start. There doesn't appear to be power going to the glowplugs. Where is the glow plug relay located until I change that?

Kris.
I did change the glow plug relay last week because that was my initial thought, that the realy wasnt working.
I put a new relay on it but still the same, so no point to change it.

i will change the sensor and will let u know if it works.

tony19
28-03-2008, 02:56 PM
i`ve just changed the coolant sensor but still the same.
glow plugs light goes off in a sec and car hard to start.
:(:(

any other suggestions plz.?