PDA

View Full Version : New Boy needs help!

markiparki
21-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello Forum,

I'm Mark and I am rebuilding a smashed mk5 1.9 tdiesel.

A garage replaced my engine as the block was cracked. The new one runs but they couldn't bleed the brakes/clutch after the rebuild because of a problem with the reservoir.

I have the reservoir sorted now, and I've bled the lot with an eezibleed but still the clutch pedal is either up on its spring, or plunges to the floor with no resistance.

I bled the clutch from the slave cylinder and fluid seemed to come through OK but no pressure at the pedal.

Am I missing something? Or should I bleed it with the pedal flat on the floor and let the fluid push it back up.

I am confused and worried the garage may have stitched me up!!!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to be appealing for help - but it's a bit of an emergency for me!

Would love to talk more VAG stuff in the future but right now this has got me in a real twist... Help!

Thanks,

Mark, with a broken Golf.

:aargh4:

Ben
21-03-2008, 09:47 PM
welcome to the forum

that is a bit too technical for me.

hath
22-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Are you bleeding it properly?

way of doing it would be to have a mate or accomplice in hte car.. get htem to pump hte pedal a few times then hold it to hte floor, open the bleed nipple, let it flow out.. then tighten nipple back up then get htem to release footfrom the clutch.. repeat process untill hard, faling that your best bet would be starting from scratch remove gearbox check thrust bearing and clutch is in correct and in good working order.

markiparki
23-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks Hath,

I will try this again, after the mobile mechanic has given his verdict!

Weird thing is that the pedal is right on the floor, so you can't really pump it.

I'm worried the master cylinder plunger might be broken or grease monkeys might have damaged/got dirt on the release bearing part -this is v.delcate apparently...

Mark

hath
23-03-2008, 05:24 PM
yeah there is a possiblity that the master cylinder for the clutch, ( behind the pedal) could be fubarred howeer so im more thinking its the slave , hope you get it sorted mate