PDA

View Full Version : Refused a Test Drive!

waccoe
21-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi All,
I had a test drive in a B7 late last year, which I probably would have a bought if the dealer had been willing to negotiate on price, he wasn't, so I decided to wait for the B8.

Went to the dealers this weekend, had a look at the SE, and thought it was fabulous, so was trying to schedule a test drive, I'd probably get the S-Line. The dealer phoned me this week, the same guy who dealt with me with the B7, and started with the usual stuff, "No discount available" etc etc. This before I'd even driven it, I foolishly quoted him Motorlogix & "Drive the Deal" prices, 10% off etc. To cut a long story short, he has refused to give me a test drive. Quoting things such as,

"The S-Line is a great looking car, we don't need to give discounts"
"We can't match the broker price, so we wont give you a test drive".
"If you want a test drive contact your internet broker".

I see lots of suggestions to take the broker prices into the showroom and negotiate a deal, I suggest actually having a drive first!.

To be honest, I'm fuming :zx11: at Audi's attitude, I tend to keep my cars for 5odd years, so that's 5 years of servicing etc they are missing out on. I thought they were supposed to encourage people to buy Audis, they've just encouraged me to look elsewhere.

I also see that some of you have managed to negotiate a 10% discount. How have you managed that?

Very annoying that I now have to go to another dealer 20 miles away to get a test drive!.

the_gasman
21-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I can understand you are annoyed, although I also kind of see their point! The dealerships have the overheads of the premises and the staff, and the cost of running a demonstrator, which internet sellers don't. There's not a lot to be gained by them spending hours test-driving cars with you, discussing exactly what spec etc you want, for you to turn around and buy the car from an internet broker!

As you say, I guess the thing is to have your test-drive first, and then discuss things like discounts and the deals available from brokers.

Martin

waccoe
21-03-2008, 08:34 PM
The dealerships have the overheads of the premises and the staff, and the cost of running a demonstrator, which internet sellers don't. There's not a lot to be gained by them spending hours test-driving cars with you, discussing exactly what spec etc you want, for you to turn around and buy the car from an internet broker!

I don't particularly want to buy from an internet broker, I would rather buy from the dealer, I was just planning on using the broker price as a bartering chip to get a decent deal. I did explain that I was flexible to the salesman, he just wasn't interested. At the end of the day if I can save 2K by going via a broker, I'd be stupid not to. Dealer's not willing to drop anything on the price.

Satch
21-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I think you have to way things up. Does buying from a dealer add value?
If it does, does it add £2k value.

What I mean by value is things like dealing direct with someone who works for Audi. If something goes wrong, is buying from a dealer going to save you hassle?
Does the broker have a nice glitzy showroom with a babe offering you a cup of coffee when you go in.:p

Dealers have overheads which they need to cover I guess.

Goodluck in whatever you do.:beerchug:

moptisam2
22-03-2008, 07:29 AM
On Tuesday I'm borrowing a new 2.0 TDI for a real test drive, over two days, Newcastle and back, about 250 miles round trip.

I argued that a 20 min drive round the gasworks is not enough to see if I like a car, and how I feel after sitting in it for 4 hours non-stop.

It would have been difficult to get a 2 day drive over the weekend, but during the week, no problem.

STEWY L
22-03-2008, 09:23 AM
not that i will ever be able to buy a new car(unless the numbers come out tonight), but surely
the manufacturers warranty will still apply, and thier dealerships will be obliged to handle it, regardless of where you buy it from?

smac1968
22-03-2008, 11:47 AM
For my last 2 new cars, I have went in to the dealer with the brokers prices and he got there eventually....end of the day the still need the business....not everyoen has the savvy to do this, so they make their big profits on the people who don't...in any business you need to cover you're overheads, then everything else is pure profit

John140
26-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I can understand you are annoyed, although I also kind of see their point!
Martin
I cant see their point at all. Internet brokers have to nominate a supplying dealer and presumeably add their 'finders-fee' also, so any dealer which will not match this price is either arrogant, or in financial trouble to such an extent that they need max-margin to stay afloat !

nmh1977
26-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I think you have to way things up. Does buying from a dealer add value?
If it does, does it add £2k value.

What I mean by value is things like dealing direct with someone who works for Audi. If something goes wrong, is buying from a dealer going to save you hassle?
Does the broker have a nice glitzy showroom with a babe offering you a cup of coffee when you go in.:p

Dealers have overheads which they need to cover I guess.

Goodluck in whatever you do.:beerchug:

I have'nt been impressed with Audi's attitude since I got my A4 B7 2.0 tdi multronic in Feb. I noticed some leaks and they seemed really lazy to deal with the issue. I aggree about the babe bit. The girl who works at Harold wood audi is a sex kitten. Would'nt mind testing the a5 in leather seats with her underneath :p

Moodshadow
31-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I think it fair to say, which has already been pointed out, you don't start quoting sources until you're sure you want the car.
I asked about discounts (in general conversation) even before the car was released and it was the usual no! But they said that about the A3 I bought in 2005 and when I went back to discuss the price I basically got my options for free.
I think that particular dealer probably won't offer you anything as a point of principle now (although you could try that BMW are offering you a discount on the 3 series!)