PDA

View Full Version : Differential lubrication on a 4motion

kesselrun
21-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey all,

Happy Easter!

I've had a search around the forums for an answer to the question of lubrication for the differential (specifically the rear axle mounted one) on a 4motion (it's NOT the Haldex unit I'm asking about BTW).

There are a couple of threads asking similar questions without an answer so I thought I would bring it up again.;)

So - first of all, is it possible to re-lube the rear diff and if so what would be the recommended lubricant?

Secondly, is it a job I could tackle myself or would I be as well to let a mechanic do it (considering ramps, grease guns, etc.)?

Lastly, my Golf has just over 60,000 on the clock and the lube has never been changed hence my 'concern' about it - does anybody know if there is a recommended interval between lube changes for this unit?

Additionally, my other car is an A4 quattro - would the same questions apply to it and does it have the same differential? (I was under the impression that the 4WD system for each car may be different i.e. golf=haldex, audi=torsen - therefore the diffs used might also be different. Any ideas?)

Apologies for all the questions, but maybe if there are some answers out there it will help a lot of people out!

Cheers,

Kesselrun :D

adamss24
21-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Torsen= 0 maintenance, only replenish oil if the seals are leaking, haldex= needs fresh oil every 40k miles or it will go wrong !

kesselrun
21-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I had the haldex oil changed at 40k, but I was wondering about the diff which is attached to the rear wheel assembly on the 4motion (see picture).

It's my understanding that the haldex clutch is a separate entity from the actual diff.

Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick - is it JUST the haldex oil that needs replacing?

:1zhelp:

kesselrun
27-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Sorry for the apparent bump, but I'm keen to find out more about this.

Does anybody have any additional info?

Thanks! :D