PDA

View Full Version : New A4 and bluetooth rSAP phone compatibility

selborn
21-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Has anyone tried out the new A4 with Windows Mobile 6 (Std or Pro) mobile phone devices?

I believe AUDI/VW use the rSAP protocol for connecting mobile phones to the car. Having read a few posts it would seem there are very few phones available that support rSAP and even less are the the type that use Windows Mobile 6 (PDA Devices).

I'm seriously considering the new A4 (after 3.5 yrs in the new A6) and I am also due to upgrade my mobile in the next month. I want to make sure the new phone is going to be compatiable with the A4 when I get it in Nov.

If anyone has a list of compatible devices or has managed to get a WM6 device to work with the new A4 can you post a response.

I'd like full compatibility (ie contacts list transferal) not just calls etc..

Cheers

a8 tech
21-03-2008, 04:13 PM
goto audi dealer and ask for sim access phone list which was updated febuary 2008,i have posted a phone list on this forum some time ago that may help

Satch
21-03-2008, 04:34 PM
You would be better checking with the dealer. My dealer did give me a list when I ordered my new A4 but I have binned it.

smac1968
22-03-2008, 11:50 AM
for my last a4 (o5 plate) i got the bluetooth upgrade. worked great with my razor, then i changed to Sony Ericsson phone and didn't work..audi weren't interested and neither were sony...this time for my 08 A4 did not bother....whats the point in having a £24k car with supposed bluetooth and can't connect to a £200 phone!!!! bet a ford will connect to all phones...

alexcf
22-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I totally agreee. I've got a parrot in my Mazda3 at the moment, it's great, well was until my girlfriend said "oh, it's pointing the wrong way", turned it, then snapped the bracket holding it on, so now everytime i reach over to put my GPS on the windscreen I knock it off (it's stuck on with velcro too).

Anyway, I digress... One of the reasons I went for the Bluetooth is due to my company phone being a Crackberry, although the only other person who MAY use the car has an SPV (so same kinda situation).

Actually, that's a question, and sorry to hijack your thread, can you pair multiple phones with the kit?

Thanks,

Alex.

a8 tech
22-03-2008, 08:17 PM
for my last a4 (o5 plate) i got the bluetooth upgrade. worked great with my razor, then i changed to Sony Ericsson phone and didn't work..audi weren't interested and neither were sony...this time for my 08 A4 did not bother....whats the point in having a £24k car with supposed bluetooth and can't connect to a £200 phone!!!! bet a ford will connect to all phones...
Sorry but your a fool,if you arent prepaired to research which phone will work and what hardware version the phone needs to be from the freely avaliable phone list from audi then what do you expect.£200 PHONE OR CHANGE YOUR £24k a4 for a mondeo.That had to be said:biglaugh:

AndyH123
31-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi,

I can confirm the new A4 works with my Windows Mobile 6 Std based device!

The car is discovered as a Hands Free device, and even sync's the entire phone book so you can browse from the steering wheel / MMI.

I was impressed, I was expecting that not to work - or at least not first time as nature intended!!

alexcf
31-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Any idea on whether multiple phones are supported? :o

Audi Nick
01-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I have a Nokia N95 which works with my current A6 (2 years old with MMI & Sat Nav) and it works with the new A4 (ordered but ...) and as previously reported the steering wheel controls work with it too.

Get to your Audi dealer, check the list and if necessary buy a new phone. Quite why anyone would want an add on phone or GPS system puzzles me, the built in systems are far superior to anything on the market including Tom, Tom.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know that Tom Tom mapping is more up to date and and that you can add POI's to Tom Tom; it also happens to be cheaper to both buy and upgrade, but ..... when stuck on a £30k car it shouts out "I'm living beyond my means and need to save cash".

Phone the dealer and if necessary, get a new phone it is well worth it.

browellm
01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I have a Nokia N95 which works with my current A6 (2 years old with MMI & Sat Nav) and it works with the new A4 (ordered but ...) and as previously reported the steering wheel controls work with it too.

Get to your Audi dealer, check the list and if necessary buy a new phone. Quite why anyone would want an add on phone or GPS system puzzles me, the built in systems are far superior to anything on the market including Tom, Tom.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know that Tom Tom mapping is more up to date and and that you can add POI's to Tom Tom; it also happens to be cheaper to both buy and upgrade, but ..... when stuck on a £30k car it shouts out "I'm living beyond my means and need to save cash".

Phone the dealer and if necessary, get a new phone it is well worth it.

The thing is Nick, two grand for a satnav system is pure profiteering (even more so these days when the colour mmi is already included in the basic spec). And it's not just Audi that are guilty of this.

My own circumstances dictate that I have to pay up-front for any extras I want in my company car, and sadly I am not prepared drop £2k on a system when I will be handing the car back in 30 months, after hitting our 60k mileage limit.

belly buster
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi,

I can confirm the new A4 works with my Windows Mobile 6 Std based device!

The car is discovered as a Hands Free device, and even sync's the entire phone book so you can browse from the steering wheel / MMI.

I was impressed, I was expecting that not to work - or at least not first time as nature intended!!

AndyH123 can I ask what WM6 phone model you are using.

BB

AndyH123
02-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Sure - its a HTC S710. The one with the slidely out keyboard.

belly buster
02-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Great - I'll work on the basis that the xda orbit 2 will work as it is also an HTC WM6 phone (but without the slidey keyboard).

belly buster
24-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm interested to know if anyone has bought a centre console cradle (as part of the bluetooth "low-spec" package) for their HTC WM6 device. I'm still waiting an answer from my dealer so I thought I'd ask here.

AndyH123
24-04-2008, 02:17 PM
What is it you'd like to know?

I think mine has the centre cradle you mean (under the arm rest?). It has a 'slot' where you'd plug some sort of phone, but as my WM6 HTC device works via Bluetooth it's redundant to me.

belly buster
24-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Agreed if using bluetooth it isn't striclty needed but it is used to charge the phone.

selborn
15-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Does anyone know if Audi plan to update the list of devices. I went into my local dealer for a list last week and the version online was updated in Feb 2008, but didn't change from Nov 2007.

Sheroo
15-07-2008, 08:47 PM
I can confirm that the bluetooth low works perfectly with the following:

Blackberry 8800 - Either transfer phonebook to directory, or access BB phonebook from steering wheel.

Sony Ericsson W880i - As above.

mkc
15-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I work for a mobile operator. I can get my hands on many different devices so happy to try any for you. My choice is a HTC Windows Mobile 6.* device at the moment. I dont have phone prep coming but we have a number of A4's on order so Im sure one of my workmates will have it,

A1exp
16-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Any idea if the new iPhone 3g will work with phone prep low?

It doesn't seem to work with most things so I'm not getting my hopes up...

nickhx
16-07-2008, 09:19 AM
yes iphone 3g works fine for me with my new a4 :-)

A1exp
16-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Cheers! Couple more questions if I may...

Do you need a cradle to use the roof aerial or does hooking it up to the bluetooth use the ra?

Do you get full phone book download etc?

Do you have the AMI and if so, can I hook it to the AMI and still receive calls?

nickhx
16-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Cheers! Couple more questions if I may...

1. Do you need a cradle to use the roof aerial or does hooking it up to the bluetooth use the ra?

2. Do you get full phone book download etc?

3. Do you have the AMI and if so, can I hook it to the AMI and still receive calls?

Sure no problem, in answer to your questions:

1. As far as I am aware you need a iPhone Audi cradle to use the car's aerial (which I don't have). Everything seems to work fine on bluetooth though and I get good reception without this.

2. Yes

3. No, unfortunately not - perhaps someone else could help with that one? (I do think AMI is becoming slightly redundant though with the SD card system, which with a 4Gb card, really is no different to an iPod Nano, bar the slight inconvenience of manually copying your music to it.)

Cheers

Neerazan
22-08-2008, 11:36 AM
yes iphone 3g works fine for me with my new a4 :-)

Does anyone know if the older first generation iPhone works with the new Audi Phone Prep High and Audi Music interface please?

I don't have my audi yet and wanted to make sure it does so I don't have to shell out on a different phone.

Many thanks

Neerazan
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know if the older first generation iPhone works with the new Audi Phone Prep High and Audi Music interface please?

I don't have my audi yet and wanted to make sure it does so I don't have to shell out on a different phone.

Many thanks

Can anyone answer this yet please?

Genn
10-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anyone had any success with pairing a Windows 6.1 device via bluetooth and accessing the phone book?

My mobile is an HTC Touch HD which I've had since December on the Orange network. I picked up my A4 with phone prep high just over a week ago, and have managed to connect it and use it for receiving calls and dialling out. The main problem is that I don't have access to my contacts/phone book, nor can I access functions such as the phone's last dialled calls, missed calls, etc.

I'm using the original 1.14 rom which came with the Touch HD, and programs such as JETware haven't helped, so I'm not sure where to go from here (short of getting a new phone). Has anyone had the same problem and managed to sort it out?

ipslim
10-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I got my new A4 Sline Exec on Weds and also had problems getting my Windows Mobile 6.1 contacts to sync.

After digging around on the Net I found a mention that too many numbers in the phone's call history can cause the Audi data sync to fail.

After clearing the call history on my phone (Call Register, Menu, Delete All Calls) everything sync'd first time so maybe worth giving this a go.

Thanks,

Ian

ScottyUK
10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Ian,

Apologies if this insults but have you bought the rSAP adaptor or are you just using what comes as part of the Exec spec? e.g. a suitable cradle for the specific phone or just the "hands free" profile.

I may well be wrong but I thought the known issue you mention was for "handfree" issues and not rSAP?

jakerade
10-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Bluetooth on phone prep low works well with Touch Pro on WM6.1

WM and rSAP is a different kettle of fish completely and depends on several things

1. the version of 6.1 you are using (some seem to have better bluetooth stacks). For the touch pro you need to download the latest version from HTC or you will be going no-where

2. disabling data connections - leaving them enabled can cause the phone to either loop when connecting or locking the sim up (sim card missing error on the phone) when you disconnect

3. the operator sim card - eg with t-mobile only the latest sims work. other operators need older sims

have a look at

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=408606

and

http://audiforum.us/multimedia/11189-audi-bluetooth-rsap-adapter-htc-touch-pro.html

if you are lucky it could work flawlessly. if your not then you will be tearing your hair out! I have an rSAP adapter but am currently just using bluetooth as its a pain in the ****.

It doesnt help that audi dont issue any firmware upgrades for the rSAP adapter....

Jake

ipslim
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi Scotty/Jake,

No offence at all. I'm just using the low mobile phone prep that comes with the Exec pack as you suspected. No cradle, just Bluetooth Handsfree.

I didn't find anything quickly on this to point to it being a known issue - just a post on a forum (might have been xda-developers but I didn't bookmark it). I wasn't sure if rSAP would have the same issue with sync'ing the phone book or not but it's an easy one to test and looked to fix my phone book sync issue so thought it worth mentioning.

I'm not sure if the Bluetooth contact sync would be the same for rSAP vs Bluetooth handsfree - do you know they use PBAP as that seemed to be the most likely?

If both use PBAP for sync'ing contacts then it's possible that both would have the same issue. AFAIK rSAP would just come into play when making calls but I don't really know what I am talking about if I am honest :-)

Jake - I'm on Windows Mobile 6.1 and hit this issue and while it does work fine since clearing the call history it would not sync before this.

BTW - I have a TMobile Vario IV AKA the HTC Touch Pro which I forgot to mention.

Cheers,

Ian

ScottyUK
10-05-2009, 07:46 PM
The discussion in this thread is specifically about the rSAP functionality which you (or I) in our "Exec" cars don't have.

You only get rSAP on Phone High or if we add the rSAP adaptor to what we have. ( http://accessories.audi.co.uk/accessories/details.do?accessoryId=10632 ) which is £293 :eek:

What you (and I) are using is the simple "handsfree profile" which Audi are now doing on it's own as a dactory option e.g. without the armrest preparation and without the aerial for £100. I tried speccing my car without the Exec pack and choosing the £100 option but I still found it more expective. The Exec pack is an absolute bargain as it them means full leather and the Tech pack are much cheaper. It seems a crime not to add it to be honest. (Sorry going off topic)

ipslim
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Understand that the thread is an rSAP tread by Genn's problem seemed to have the same symptoms as what I hit last week.

If both rSAP and Low Phone Prep use the same method to sync the contacts then I guess it's possible that both would show the same issue. Fully appreciate that this may not be the case though.

Agree that the Exec pack is a bargain especially if you go for a 2.0 TDi 143 BHP as it's free at the moment :-)

Cheers,

Ian

jakerade
10-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Ian

I have an MDA Vario4 as well and the quality of the stock rom is rubbish - text message recipients are not recognised, calls dont answer etc, touchflo crashes etc etc/

One of the first things i did was upgrade to the latest HTC rom which came out in Feb at www.htc.com (http://www.htc.com) which fixed 33% of my rsap problems (it would sort of connect) , the sim card and data connections being the remainder!

If you use this serial number - you can download the rom.
HT833K018234

You will need to flash your phone with HardSPL first from here to allow you to run the rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=448008

We have done this will all our work phone but be warned - you will lose all the data on your phone when you do it.

My phone then transferred all the phone book etc without Jetware using the standard phone prep low (eg NOT rSAP). It also transfers fine with the rSAP adapter.

The advantage of running jetware is that it orders your contacts by surname first in MMI

Jake

jakerade
10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
btw - if you have a large phone book it does take a longtime to sync first time

jon_iz
10-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm on Windows Mobile 6.1 and hit this issue and while it does work fine since clearing the call history it would not sync before this.

I think it can be a bit finicky.. I run a Palm Treo Pro (WM6.1), with BT Low.
It worked flawlessly for about 3 months. Then the sync became erratic and stopped altogether.
It took me a week or so to work out that it was falling down during the syncing of the call lists rather than the phone book.
Deleting all the call history fixed it. I guess WM just manages to corrupt the call list now and again, or perhaps the BT Low has a maximum number it will sync and if that gets exceeded it just falls over?
My call history grows quite quickly, so I'll see if it does it again in the next couple of months!

The first sync does take a long time.. I have nearly 500 contacts in my list and it takes around 10 minutes on the first go....

PsychoChimp
13-05-2009, 08:20 PM
When people say the first sync takes a long time, is that when you do it for the first time ever or the first time you get in the car (per day)?

Does the low phone prep store the contacts on the car or just read from the phone?

Chimp

ScottyUK
14-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I've a new phone and I thought it wasn't uploading the phone book ... but it did after about 15 mins or so. Note this is on "handsfree" and not rSAP

Genn
14-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the tips... I cleared my call history and paired it over bluetooth again, and then tried alternating between sim-only and phone-only contact lists to see if that made a difference, but had no luck with any of those methods. Then I tried upgrading the original 1.14 rom to the 1.19 and it didn't help either, and finally I flashed Dutty's latest rom (v3.3) onto it and it still doesn't work.
What a ball ache! :(

jakerade
14-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I noticed there is a new rom on HTC's website for the touch HD (early april) - would imagine that would be a 5.x rom if its similar to the way to touch pro has jumped from 1.x

Genn
15-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah that's the latest official 1.56 rom, but Orange users can't download it. We have to wait for Orange to pack theirs with bloatware and send it our way, but after contacting Orange, no one over there seems to know when that'll happen. Plus, Dutty's is a 1.56 rom already, so I'm not sure if I'll benefit from switching. Cheers anyway though! They don't make these things simple...

PsychoChimp
15-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know of a way to hack together a Nokia cable to connect to the phone prep to enable rSAP and allow the phone to use the external aerial and save power etc...

It's not worth it for £300!

Chimp

jakerade
15-05-2009, 12:33 PM
The rSAP adapter is a mobile phone in its own right which offers a bluetooth interface to your phone sim. It in turn then hooks into the MMI and roof antenna via the crade pins. It offers both bluetooth and bluetooth rSAP so is more than just a cable.

If your phone has an antenna port you can hack together an adapter out of an old Nokia 6310 cradle and use the standard bluetooth to connect

I only paid £170 for mine and i believe there are euro dealers selling them for EU199

Jake

selborn
07-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I think it can be a bit finicky.. I run a Palm Treo Pro (WM6.1), with BT Low.
It worked flawlessly for about 3 months. Then the sync became erratic and stopped altogether.
It took me a week or so to work out that it was falling down during the syncing of the call lists rather than the phone book.
Deleting all the call history fixed it. I guess WM just manages to corrupt the call list now and again, or perhaps the BT Low has a maximum number it will sync and if that gets exceeded it just falls over?
My call history grows quite quickly, so I'll see if it does it again in the next couple of months!

The first sync does take a long time.. I have nearly 500 contacts in my list and it takes around 10 minutes on the first go....
Jon
Interested to see how you got your treo working. Whenever I try I get a failed to establish connection error. I've tried two methods; initiating connection from the car where you have to enter the 16 digit number (4x4) which the phone (Palm Treo) doesn't like, and then also from the phone where I enter the sim code (1234) and the phone doesn;t like that. I've deleted the call history as suggested. I know the car's bluetooth is ok as I have another phone that is ok.

Stuart

steve1234
07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I have bluetooth HIGH and a Palm Treo Pro and they seem to work OK together as did my previous Treo 500V. I did struggle to pair them to start with but them embarassingly realised I had to press the little button to change from letters to numbers on the phone when entering the PIN!!!! If you pair using the Handsfree system (so 1234 as the PIN) it works OK but to get the full use of the "HIGH" system you need to persevere with the full 16 digit pin system as this them gives you full SIM access with text messages displayed etc......

jon_iz
07-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I have bluetooth HIGH and a Palm Treo Pro and they seem to work OK together as did my previous Treo 500V. I did struggle to pair them to start with but them embarassingly realised I had to press the little button to change from letters to numbers on the phone when entering the PIN!!!! If you pair using the Handsfree system (so 1234 as the PIN) it works OK but to get the full use of the "HIGH" system you need to persevere with the full 16 digit pin system as this them gives you full SIM access with text messages displayed etc......

I've made the mistake of not selecting the numeric keypad too - to avoid, i always use the on screen keyboard for pairing and entering passwords now!
As for BT High - remember to enable remote sim access on the phone...