PDA

View Full Version : Thumping noise & sensation on pull away

Tomoski
20-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I am a newbie to this site and have recently bought an 54 plate A4 cab Quattro 1.8 with 54,000 on the clock. Prior to purchase , new discs and pads were fitted to the front. Six weeks on, I am experiencing a thumping sensation and noise which can be felt on the steering wheel on pull away. It feels as if the front near side wheel is attempting to rotate slightly faster than its partner on the other side. This does not happen when the car is cold or once I have built up speed, but only after I have used it for a while and pull away.
I put it into Audi (Southampton) to check over at £90 per hr + vat and they came back saying there was no problems with the suspension and nothing else was found untoward but the back brake discs were binding and this was the likely cause (Audi 's cost for brakes and pads was £240). I now have had the back discs and pads replaced by my reliable garage (£160) but the thumping still continues.

I dont want to go back to Audi paying £90 per hr but need to get to the bottom of this.

Any clues greatly accepted !

hagis
21-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Does it happen when you only pull away quickly or every time you pull away?

Tomoski
21-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Morning Hagis, yes it's every time once I have run it a while. I notice it more on a slower pull away. Once I get through that 5-10 MPH'ish area it seems to clear.

STEWY L
21-03-2008, 12:16 PM
only a guess, and not wise to act on guesses, but it may be an abs sensor that is acting on one side. i'm not sure if you would get the abs light on at such slow speeds,but you may have a faulty sensor, or loose/dirty connection. won't cost anthing but time to check connections,
or someone else may be able to tell you how to check clearances?
sorry but as much as i can offer on this,good luck
stewy.

Paul A4 1.8t
21-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi. May seem silly but have you checked your tyre? Reason being is that i had a similar sounding problem after the car was sat still. I took the car to the garage had everything checked and all was ok but the sound was still there. Someone suggested the tyre so replaced it and it was gone!

Tomoski
22-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi All, Happy Easter and thanx for all the feed back on the prob. Lots of food for thought and I am going to look at the different ideas & advice. Will keep you posted for the record.

Go easy in the snow !!

STEWY L
22-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi All, Happy Easter and thanx for all the feed back on the prob. Lots of food for thought and I am going to look at the different ideas & advice. Will keep you posted for the record.

Go easy in the snow !!
stuff that!!!
where's the sledge?:D

buster
23-03-2008, 11:39 AM
stuff that!!!
where's the sledge?:D

Or rather

Stuff that, where's my 250 bhp quattro!! :aargh4::biglaugh:

kimandsally
23-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I would jack the car up and rotate each wheel by hand, that might show something?

Tomoski
28-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Jacked it yp but didnt find anything odd. Took it down to my garage and he couldnt find anything but old thumper is still there !!

moggies
08-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Is this a single thud or a rotation noise? Have you had a look at the engine and subframe mounts?

vr6wayne
12-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi this might help. it sounds like u might have a duel mass flywheel problems. u can check this by just bringing up the engine revs up as if u was going to pull away. get the car in gear. with hand brake on dont pull away but just lift the clucth pedel to the biting point fast. try not to stall the engine. if the noise happens then that confurms that it is the fault.